Layoff Rumors At Sfo

Seniority plus the ability to satisfactorily perform the work required
for the job in question…â€￾

They're laughing at you. All you have accomplished is sending the most senior layed off person to the worst station in the system. I'm sure they were chuckling at this conference call. Besides says ol'Pete....we're in BK if push comes to shove :D

The Ronin said:
Now the reality....job cuts and pay and benefit givebacks. I'll lose my real techs, while gaining a bunch of slugs who don't even know how to change a light bulb. Great company vision, great union product.....puke..... :D
You have an idealistic view on this subject Ronin. Why do you refer to them as 'your' techs? Who decides who is a 'real' tech and who is a 'slug'? You? Maybe an Overlord Comittee?

Absent the use of seniority for a basis you have exactly the system that UAL management has and gosh we can clearly see how only the best and the brightest manage to survive in that crowd.

UALTECH has it nailed on this LOA business - it's not about the letter at all, it's about the process that was used to withdraw it.

You and I will always differ about many things including what goes on here at the lazy U. What can I say, each man has his own set of values and goals, naive as they may be.

Busdrvr said:
Ronin has a selective memory. He seems to forget his union crossing a picket line and it's poison pill contract clauses that helped put UAL in it's current financial position. And lets not forget that while ALPA was trying to do what was necessary to avoid BK, his boys were demanding an industry leading contract. Blaming pilots for for his mistakes seems to be the modis..
Is this one of the same pilots that helped UAL lose 400 million in the summer of hell so they would get an industry leading contract????? :unsure:

Broke@SFO said:
I really don't think these rumors have any basis to be true. Claudia Taylor in the Turbine Shop just negotiated for more Korean Air 777 (large PW4000) engines starting this month. It seems our only restraints for bringing in more work is not enough manpower. Maximum overtime in the engine build area to make up for this shortage. Airplane Overhaul is bringing in 6 767 "C" checks starting this month. These were previously 100% outsourced. Once again, manpower constraints prohibit more work being brought back from outside vendors. Landing Gear shop getting ready to open in the Turbine Shop in September will require 75-100 more mechanics and other related personal. Word from upper management is that when we exit bankrupcy there will be large numbers of mechanic recalls.
I am sure glad that I don't have to worry about a re-call at UAL. It un-doubtly was the worst company I have ever worked for. And after getting to know many of the old time mechanics at UAL in LAX and INDY, I learned one thing. UAL will NEVER change anything about the way they do business. If the outside investors don't DEMAND that UAL management be re-placed from the top down, it will continue to be business as usual.

The Ronin said:
Just goes to show, NOBODY knows what the f*** goes on at UAL. Ya just gotta love it :up:
Right you are, that's why I am glad I will NEVER return to UAL. They didn't know what the F@^$#* was going on then and they surely don't know what is going on now. Good Luck to you ALL, except management of course :shock: . :up:

I guess those Harvard grads get to be CEO of something eventually?? He sure moves around alot.

I am sure many of you have received the IAM letter and representation request card in the mail. Since I do not have a scanner I will write the paragraph about letter 74-1m from the IAM:
"AMFA also modified it's contract with United by removing a member-ratified letter of agreement outlining qualifications for bumping in the event of layoff. This letter was negotiated by the IAM to PREVENT United Airlines from unjustly disqualifying mechanics from working in a particular specialty."
It also goes on to state how it was done without membership consent and against the AMFA constitution etc etc. As always, the IAM's spin on things is always off target to some degree, but THEIR interpretation and I assume the company's will be interesting. As it looks anyways, I doubt many will care that much soon, maintenance is going to be spun off (United Services) to help UAL inc shed its mechanic pension and help UAL inc secure BK exit financing. :shock:

The Ronin said:
I am sure many of you have received the IAM letter and representation request card in the mail. Since I do not have a scanner I will write the paragraph about letter 74-1m from the IAM:
"AMFA also modified it's contract with United by removing a member-ratified letter of agreement outlining qualifications for bumping in the event of layoff. This letter was negotiated by the IAM to PREVENT United Airlines from unjustly disqualifying mechanics from working in a particular specialty."
It also goes on to state how it was done without membership consent and against the AMFA constitution etc etc. As always, the IAM's spin on things is always off target to some degree, but THEIR interpretation and I assume the company's will be interesting. As it looks anyways, I doubt many will care that much soon, maintenance is going to be spun off (United Services) to help UAL inc shed its mechanic pension and help UAL inc secure BK exit financing. :shock:
Maintenance will be spun off - what does this mean - United Services will be sold??

Do I know…nope. I do know what some of my managers are thinking. Do they know…. I doubt it. But lets put a few pieces together. First of all, all the references by our current SVP of maintenance about making us a “competitive MRO� Secondly, the “in name only†change of our dept from M&E to United Services. Thirdly, what has transpired over the last 10yrs in regards to OSV. United staffs these facilities with a UAL rep, Ual documentation, logistical and engineering support. UAL inc budgets “x†amount of dollars to “United Services†every year. So how difficult is the change. It isn’t the first time a corporation plays basically a shell game. Ual Inc retains some upper echelon personal in charge of “contracting†our maintenance. It rids itself “on paper†of the liabilities associated with running it’s own maintenance. Therefore any investors “investing†in UAL inc are not “investing†in United Services. UAL corp. insures that it has the people it wants in place to “run†United Services, through nepotism or any other means of rat race. The pieces and people are already in place, so no “major†disruption there. As being “United Services†main customer and life support, it still retains a fair amount of influence and directional capability. Depending on who or what, UAL may even get some much-needed cash infusion into UAL inc to boot. Also, I don’t know how existing contract language goes in regards to spin-off. I would assume that would also be null and void. Will any of it happen, who knows? Are they probably considering it…. I’d bet on it. :up:

Ronin,

Here's a gif that you should (IMHO) put in your avatar:

:up: UT

The Ronin said:
Do I know…nope. I do know what some of my managers are thinking. Do they know…. I doubt it. But lets put a few pieces together. First of all, all the references by our current SVP of maintenance about making us a “competitive MRO� Secondly, the “in name only†change of our dept from M&E to United Services. Thirdly, what has transpired over the last 10yrs in regards to OSV. United staffs these facilities with a UAL rep, Ual documentation, logistical and engineering support. UAL inc budgets “x†amount of dollars to “United Services†every year. So how difficult is the change. It isn’t the first time a corporation plays basically a shell game. Ual Inc retains some upper echelon personal in charge of “contracting†our maintenance. It rids itself “on paper†of the liabilities associated with running it’s own maintenance. Therefore any investors “investing†in UAL inc are not “investing†in United Services. UAL corp. insures that it has the people it wants in place to “run†United Services, through nepotism or any other means of rat race. The pieces and people are already in place, so no “major†disruption there. As being “United Services†main customer and life support, it still retains a fair amount of influence and directional capability. Depending on who or what, UAL may even get some much-needed cash infusion into UAL inc to boot. Also, I don’t know how existing contract language goes in regards to spin-off. I would assume that would also be null and void. Will any of it happen, who knows? Are they probably considering it…. I’d bet on it. :up:
How about this - perhaps United Services would like to be a stand-alone entity competitive with other MRO and the airline makes decisions based on who can do the best job at the best price so that the airline can compete better with low cost carriers. Now, if they are really doing a good job at it, repair volume goes up and fixed costs go down as they "in-source" more work.....sounds like a win-win to me.

perhaps United Services would like to be a stand-alone entity
Thats like separating a piglet from a momma sow, what a hell raising event that would be....no, I don't think they want to do that because our management isn't trained nor designed to run a profitable company. And tremendous restructuring would have to occur within. Could it be done....maybe. Could it be done and still keep UAL flying....pretty iffy. :blink:

Back