LCC fleet question: 319's

That won't work anymore, the east has been getting IAE A/C for a while now.

I had wondered about that. So you are saying that some of the IAE 321s really went east? I kinda remember something about that like a year ago and thinking about how that whole strategy muddies the water.

Gimme an example of one that is operating east.

Reactions: 1 person
I had wondered about that. So you are saying that some of the IAE 321s really went east? I kinda remember something about that like a year ago and thinking about how that whole strategy muddies the water.

Actually we have been flying them for around 2 years. I think it's 536 and above.

We received a few advanced A/C with CFM engines and then all further orders were for IAE.

-- A/C 555
-- IAE's
-- East

In PIT now for pre-ops mod's, and Wi-Fi install.

You know PIT? The station everyone wants to "just let die". But the station the company sends any work they want to get done correctly to.

PIT is a great mtc facility without a doubt. It's a shame about the operational end of it, and one can only wonder how long one can survive without the other. I wish all of those there the very best.

US is one airline. East-West only applies to work groups at this point. US has chosen to standardize on the IAE engines for the Airbus fleet going forward, regardless of which work group operates the aircraft.

Not 100% ... According to the F/A Transition Agreement, the company cannot use an east crew to staff a pre-TA-signing west aircraft (basically all ending with AW) and vice-versa... To the best of my knowledge, the company permanently assigned aircraft that arrived after the TA pretty much based on engine type to either west or east ops, so most A321s after the merger went to the AWA side, while the three or four CFM ones that were still scheduled for delivery went to the east. Surely, as US decided to continue airbus deliveries with IAE engines only, they had to also assign some of those to the east.

Technically though, like you just mentioned, after glancing through the TA (transition agreement) the company can deploy any 'post-TA-signing' aircraft that was not originally on the list to any operation it wants on the whim and based on that day's needs....

If -say- an east crew was about to travel on N117US out of PHX and that aircraft broke down over there prior to departure, then the company could just quickly switch that crew over to N507AY, if it happened to be sitting in PHX as well. On the other hand, if an A321 such as N507AY carrying a west crew broke down in CLT, then they couldn't just put that west crew on N177US, because it is on the pre-merger list.

But then again, the company managers do whatever they want, and have the union just "grieve it later."

:)

Reactions: 1 person
The planes were split equally I believe, the A321s were some old east orders and new ones. East is getting 16 A321s next year to replace the 734s.

At December 31, 2011, we operated a mainline fleet of 340 aircraft, up one aircraft from a total of 339 mainline aircraft at December 31, 2010. During 2011, we took delivery of 12 A321 aircraft and added one Boeing 757. During 2011, we removed 12 leased Boeing 737-300 aircraft from our mainline operating fleet. We are also supported by our regional airline subsidiaries and affiliates operating as US Airways Express under capacity purchase agreements, which operated 233 regional jets and 50 turboprops at December 31, 2011. Our prorate carriers operated seven turboprops and seven regional jets at December 31, 2011.
US Airways has definitive purchase agreements with Airbus for the acquisition of 134 aircraft, including 97 single-aisle A320 family aircraft and 37 widebody aircraft (comprised of 22 A350 XWB aircraft and 15 A330-200 aircraft). Since 2008, when deliveries commenced under the purchase agreements, we have taken delivery of 46 aircraft through December 31, 2011, which includes four A320 aircraft, 35 A321 aircraft and seven A330-200 aircraft.

US Airways plans to take delivery of 12 A321 aircraft in 2012, with the remaining 46 A320 family aircraft scheduled to be delivered between 2013 and 2015. In addition, US Airways plans to take delivery of the eight remaining A330-200 aircraft in 2013 and 2014. Deliveries of the 22 A350 XWB aircraft are scheduled to begin in 2017 and extend through 2019. US Airways has financing commitments for all Airbus aircraft scheduled for delivery in 2012.

Of course another way to tell which planes are East or West crews is by the flight number. Anything above 699 is East and anything below is West.

The pilots and fas are not integrated, east crews only flew east planes and west crews only fly west planes.

The pilots and fas are not integrated, east crews only flew east planes and west crews only fly west planes.

Thank you. If the flight number is 1-699, will it be West equipment? Never flown the West 319/320 to my knowledge are they any different than East 319s that are on the Shuttle, PHL/CLT flights?

Josh

josh flight number below 699 are west for example flight 81 phx bwi is america west 319 or 320 and the outbound is say 85 or say 457 the engines are iae type i do know we have a few 321s with the iae engines 536 is one i believe as is 547 anthr way to tell the west josh is that they have aw behind the tail numbers whereas the east has uw or us i may be missing some but i think its as close as itll get but i hope it helps