Letter From UAL Coalition to CEO Tilton

avek00

Senior
Aug 28, 2002
I don't see how a pact can be reached at this time. UAL's unions offered approximately 55% of the amount management requested, and did not even finalize how that amount would be divided amongst the workgroups. I'm sure that Tilton and Co. will review the letter, thank the workgroups for their effort, and then proceed to call a BOD meeting to vote on a Chapter 11 filing in fairly short order.

As always, the devil is in the details. It shall be interesting to see what initiatives the proposal contains.

AVEK00,

What is your beef with UAL labor? Everytime we make serious efforts to help our company, you chime in with your negative, anti-labor comments on how paultry and insignificant it is.

And by the way, your track record has been less then good regarding your predictions in the past. Sounds like you won't be happy until every pilot, mechanic, flight attendant, and CS worker is on the street, (which, for the record, will never happen) or at the very least is making less $$$ than you.

Your jealousy is not only obvious, but ugly! Please go cry and complain somewhere else.

Avek,

Don't count on that happening. That's not how Tilton operates. UA still has about a month with which to work. So it is not as if pacts have to be inked today. There is a window of time, albeit very small, with which to negotiate.

Well, they probably analyzed UA's total labor cost structure relative to total projected revenue, as well as relative to other costs and realized that number must be cut to put the carrier back on the road to financial health. However, I think it's very disappointing that they didn't iron out which group would contribute which amount. So I'm left to wonder just how strong this union coalition really is.

Figuring out the number needed to right UAL should be relatively easy. Figuring out who pays what, should be a lot harder and without that information, there really is nothing new to report. If anything, this makes it sound like the blame game is just about to start, as we have seen with U.

I sincerely hope that UAL comes out of this without CH.11, for the employees in particular and the industry as a whole.

I am a little confused, nothing new there, but the Union coalition has offered 1 Billion a year in savings, quite an amount, but, they have not decided who will pay for it. Sounds rather strange, I mean, how did they come up with this number, without actually deciding who's footing what part of the bil?

[P]Hi Diesel,[/P]
[P]Figuring out which group gives how much is the easy part.[/P]
[P]Here's how it works:[/P]
[P]A) The Pilots think the mechanics/ground and F/A's are giving it[/P]
[P]B) The mechanics/ground think the pilots and F/A's are giving it[/P]
[P]C) The F/A's think the pilots and mechanics/ground are giving it[/P]
[P]D) Management thinks they can gouge it out of the customers once they're done with the labor groups.[/P]
[P]It's called Rising. [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif'] [/P]
[P]Marky[/P]