LGW vs. LHR

bigbusboy

Senior
Contributor
Mar 8, 2006
I just had a very interesting conversation with one of our long time agents in LGW. I asked them if they were going to transfer over to LHR or stay at LGW. They answered with a wait and see answer because of all of the talk going around amongst all airport people in LGW right now. The rumor is, and my source is our agents in LGW, that all of our operations will be moved over to LHR within the next two years. But we only have one slot I said. And this is the interesting part. Apparently we have an additional three slots for a total of four. So they are hearing in LGW anyway. The three additional slots just haven't been made public yet....until now, if true. :p AA, CO and NW all have announced they are moving. In fact, NW is going down to only one daily 757 to LGW starting next year. If so many posters on this board insist on a big announcement 12/14, maybe this is it. I hardly think it will be a merger announcement if any announcement at all. Most people in the know about M&A activity are few in number, sign confidentiality agreements and keep their big yaps shut....for legal reasons.

LRH is the King of delays in Europe. It makes PHL look good. I hope we don't put all of our marbles in that rat's nest for service to the UK.

I think there is a little confusion about SLOTS at LHR. Each Slot is EITHER for an Arrival Time or a Departure Time, consequently an airline needs 2 Slots for each round trip. The already announced PHL-LHR route required 2 slots, as an example. I assume that if your agent contacts at LGW are accurate that there are 3 (an odd number) remaining unused US Slots, they are likely interpreting each (incorrectly) as a round trip access - and there are actually 6 unused Slots. Assuming that is the case, I could see 1 going to CLT, 1 more to PHL and 1 to somewhere else as a placeholder for PHX in late 2008 or 2009 - unless of course 2 additional 332s can be acquired earlier. Unused Slots are canceled and returned to the pool if unused for a period of time - a relatively short period of time. Although, if they are coming from BMI, they could be be easily temporarily retained by them as interim short intra-Euro runs. The real ? regarding these 6 assumed Slots, is are the arrival/departure times compatible with connecting traffic through PHX and even through CLT? A PHX placeholder would surely have to be a 757 range city, since US does not have any other wide body equipment available without eliminating other high profile routes, like Zurich, Rome, etc..

LHR may be severely congested and delay proned, but it's where everyone wants to go. The competition knows it and so does Parker.

LRH is the King of delays in Europe. It makes PHL look good. I hope we don't put all of our marbles in that rat's nest for service to the UK.
Well, it's all about money. And LHR=higher airfares, bigger market, Star Alliance, more connections. This market could easily support daily flights: PHL/LHR x2, maybe even x3, CLT/LHR, PHX/LHR and probably even LAS/LHR.

I think there is a little confusion about SLOTS at LHR. Each Slot is EITHER for an Arrival Time or a Departure Time, consequently an airline needs 2 Slots for each round trip. The already announced PHL-LHR route required 2 slots, as an example. I assume that if your agent contacts at LGW are accurate that there are 3 (an odd number) remaining unused US Slots, they are likely interpreting each (incorrectly) as a round trip access - and there are actually 6 unused Slots. Assuming that is the case, I could see 1 going to CLT, 1 more to PHL and 1 to somewhere else as a placeholder for PHX in late 2008 or 2009 - unless of course 2 additional 332s can be acquired earlier. Unused Slots are canceled and returned to the pool if unused for a period of time - a relatively short period of time. Although, if they are coming from BMI, they could be be easily temporarily retained by them as interim short intra-Euro runs. The real ? regarding these 6 assumed Slots, is are the arrival/departure times compatible with connecting traffic through PHX and even through CLT? A PHX placeholder would surely have to be a 757 range city, since US does not have any other wide body equipment available without eliminating other high profile routes, like Zurich, Rome, etc..

LHR may be severely congested and delay proned, but it's where everyone wants to go. The competition knows it and so does Parker.
You might be right. Either way, the more slots the better. It would be a smart move, if true. :up: :up:

I think you may be right with this one.....IF there is going to be "a big announcement on the 14th" this is more in line with what it could actually be. They've announced part of it already saying that we would begin service to LHR in March. With no new widebodies coming until 2009, you can bet that next year will be the transition year to switch operations from LGW to LHR. LHR has more pull than LGW as far as global connections go....kind of like comparing Chicago MDW to ORD. British Airways has 2 nightly flights from PHL to LHR both leaving within a few hours of each other and they are always full. So, yes there is a demand to fly to LHR from PHL, and I'm sure adding CLT to the mix would greatly increase the demand. PHX would come into play after 2009 when widebody deliveries begin. Just my guess, but makes sense. I've also heard the rumor that LGW was going to focus more on Domestic UK and UK LCC's. I know most of the Legacy's with the exception of Delta are planning the big move over to LHR next year.

On another note, I'm suprised this good news thread got pushed soo far down the list, maybe because it's not dripping with negativity or anger or bashing of posters! :down:

unless of course 2 additional 332s can be acquired earlier.
Are the two additional 332s that we are leasing next year the ones coming from Swiss? Or are those being delivered to US this year?

On another note, I'm suprised this good news thread got pushed soo far down the list, maybe because it's not dripping with negativity or anger or bashing of posters! :down:
Seems to be the way around here. I wonder how many threads are closed by moderators on the other airline message boards? I'll bet this one holds the record.

Oh, come on. What Doogie says to the press is MEANINGLESS. He talks A340s to China, then a few weeks back he tells the west pilots at their PHX town hall that he may do it with capacity restricted 330s.

Don't believe everything you read in the press...especially when the Tempe crowd is being quoted.
I don't. Just like I don't believe everything I hear in Town Hall meetings either. Nor do I believe anything the unions tell us. Unfortunately,what should be acurate sources of information have no credibility anymore; leaving us somewhere in the middle to decide for our selves what the real truth is or is not. This is one of the roots of all the speculation and negativity around here and probably why this board is the most active.