AA - JFK-STN-JFK

upsilon

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
I'm starting a new thread because I think this new announced service to begin this fall is unrelated to the movement of existing flights and possible new service between the US and LGW/LHR in connection with 'Open Skies' next Spring.

Already FrugalFlyer and I have exchanged our opinions on the prior thread involving RDU and DFW about the attractiveness of this new route both as O&D to the UK and as a connection to RyanAir and EasyJet for continental destinations.

I am basically interested in the pricing of the front and back of the two-class 763 that AA has said will fly this route. IMO, that will be a determining factor in whether the NGBC seating J-cabin will compete with the existing Eos and MaxJet offering on this route - and whether I will book it in that class. Of course I will also be interested in the pricing in Coach in case I shoot craps and hope for a mileage upgrade with the co-pay and the use of miles.

I had hoped to find the fares this weekend for booking next Winter; but aa.com does not yet have service to STN as an opption. Does anyone have any information on when this route will be in the AA fare base?

JFK-STN service is also of interest to me. I usually take AA from the USA to LHR followed by train or bus to STN to catch a Euro-LCC flight from STN. Booking well in advance I find decent fares on AA to LHR. Ofcourse the Euro-LCC's at STN offer great fares for the ~2 hr flight to my final European destination (usually ~40GBP and the taxes fees ~60GBP - which BTW even with the hassle and cost of buying separete tickets as well as transportation from LHR to STN is way cheaper than what I would pay on a BA code-share).

I'm hoping that AA will price JFK-STN service slightly cheaper to cater to the tourist crowd and maintain a premium to LHR. I'm curious as to how the business class seats will be priced. In the other thread upsilon and I disagreed as to the demand of business class travel between STN-JFK. Does anybody have any comments on this?

It's more likely that STN will have the same pricing structure as LHR/LGW as it is considered a sister city. What you are more likely to find is greater availability of lower fares due to less market demand.

As an example, all three NYC airports are priced the same (LGA/EWR/JFK)...there is generally less demand to JFK thus more available seats at lower fares.

I understand the fares NYC-LON effective 28 OCT 07 have been posted in the AA system but I have no access. STN does not yet show being served by AA on either aa.com or in their downloaded electronic timetable dated 07 JUL 07.

If the same prices as LHR, it means about $2300 RT for the lowest-priced advance-purchase restricted-inventory business class (J) service on a 763 w/NGBC seats. This compares with $1400 price on MaxJet with an inclined seat and around $2800 for a fully-flat seat on Eos.

AA may be purposely pricing it that way, although I understand there are some specific J prices for STN. Iwould not doubt that the coach pricing is the same as LHR since there is no competing carrier to STN with a coach section.

Can anyone confirm the specific STN prices in J from the AA system?

I just called our corporate desk, and they've got promo fares out for about $1900 OW with seven days advance. $4000 walkup in J, vs. $5000 walkup to LHR.

Eric, reservations are now available and fares posted on aa.com. Arbitrary RT dates in November show a Super Saver Economy (V) at $488, Saver Economy (H) at $1648 and Flexible Economy at $1788. There is a Business Special (I) at $2264 and a Business Flexible (J) at $7981. These same fares are available between JFK and LHR.

AA has bracketed the “Specialâ€￾ fare for the business cabin on a 763 with the NGBC (almost lie-flat) seat slightly below the Eos (fully-flat) 48-seat 757 at $2530 and Maxjet at $1398 for the 102 (incline) seats on a 762.

[None of the above prices include taxes and fees and are include the discount for maximum advance purchase.]

So my personal choice will continue to be the Maxjet ticket vs and the crapshoot of an AA SuperSaver to LON and getting mileage upgrades - which is basically what I have now. Thus nothing has really changed for me except another means of avoiding LHR O&D and flying to other European airports using the LCC at STN. I was hoping for something better.

And you are surprised? What were you expecting? The re-invention of the wheel for this route?

Upsilon, it's still early. My trips usually get scheduled with about three or four weeks advance notice. Let's see what happens closer in to departure.

Plus, another thing you have to remember is that AA tends to price things in a way which favors corporate clients vs. the independent shopper. The X% discount my parent company gets on AA is probably enough to offset the difference between Maxjet and AA, give or take. Plus, I get qualifying miles...

And you are surprised? What were you expecting? The re-invention of the wheel for this route?

Not surprised in the least; but as I said, I was "hoping" - which costs nothing!

Upsilon, it's still early. My trips usually get scheduled with about three or four weeks advance notice. Let's see what happens closer in to departure.

Plus, another thing you have to remember is that AA tends to price things in a way which favors corporate clients vs. the independent shopper. The X% discount my parent company gets on AA is probably enough to offset the difference between Maxjet and AA, give or take. Plus, I get qualifying miles...

I'm running over with AA miles (which I think have more value and thus prefer to use on OW partners). Also I am Life PLT, with insufficient current and future flying to ever again qualify for ExPlt. So I'll probably continue with MaxJet. For the same reasons I used L'Avion on my last trip to Paris.

But before I doing so I will check with AA on the availability of confirmed mileage upgrades and will monitor the wait-list upgrade experience of others on the FT BB.

But in 2008, with 'open skies', who know what is going to happen in trans-Atlantic flying? BMI has lots of plans (and LHR slots) - and is partially owned by SAS and LH. I only wish Sir Freddie was going to be around to watch it unfold!

BMI has lots of plans (and LHR slots) - and is partially owned by SAS and LH.

LH owns 29.9999% of bmi, but SAS is in the process of divesting of their 20% share of bmi (along with ownership in Spanair and Air Greenland).

Founder Michael Bishop owns the controlling 50.0001% and has full veto rights over who buys up the SAS and LH stakes, and he also has a put option which runs thru June 2009. LH has a call option on Bishop's shares starting in December 2008.

There's been a lot of rumor that BA or Virgin want to buy out Bishop, and while there's nothing stopping him from selling out to LH, there may be some pressure for bmi to remain British. Regardless, if there is going to be a change in ownership, it happens in the next five to twelve months.