Lies On Us Airways' Website?

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
Just noticed that in the "fact sheets" area of the website, they have updated for November 03.

Some changes to note:

* BWI has been removed as a focus airport, so they don't list their daily departures anymore

* It lists "Jet" departures at LGA, DCA, & BOS at 51, 74, and 60, respectively (excluding shuttle departures). Unless I am missing something, there are certainly not 51 "Jet" departures from LGA on a daily basis. In fact, I count 19 - MSY (1), PHL (1), PIT (7), CLT (9), and NAS (1).

Interestingly enough, if you visit archive.org and look at the US Airways website from February of 2003, it lists 19 jet departures from LGA. Could it be that US is including UA departures from these airports, because they place their code on these flights? Furthermore, are RJ's being considered "jet" flights? Discuss!

They aren't counting Shuttle though - there is still a separate list for Shuttle

Well, RJs are jets. I would certainly expect them to count those flights as "jet departures," particularly since so much of the U fleet is going to be made up of RJs in the coming years. Still, even with the RJs, I don't know if they're at 51 yet. It wouldn't surprise me if your suspicion is correct and they're counting the UA codeshare flights.

I believe UA may be doing the same thing. I just booked a flight with UA where my return trip will be on US equipment. The res agent identified it as UA equipment until I asked her if they were really UA flights. At that point she paused and said that they were US-operated. She may have simply made a mistake in identifying the flights or perhaps she was instructed to do it that way. I'm not sure.

I don't think they're counting UA flights...I'm pretty sure that UA doesn't have 30 mainline flights a day out of LGA, and I know they don't have anything near 30 flights out of DCA.

And I don't think it's the RJ's...US doesn't have many of them out of BOS, for sure. A rough count is BUF x4, GSO x2, IND x3, PIT x1, RIC x3, ROC x3...that makes 16.

I really think they screwed up and counted the Shuttle flights twice, once in the "Jet" column and once in the "Shuttle" column.

ringmaruf said:
I don't think they're counting UA flights...I'm pretty sure that UA doesn't have 30 mainline flights a day out of LGA, and I know they don't have anything near 30 flights out of DCA.
I did a quick check for UAL (this is 19 Nov flight schedule):
LGA-ORD: 16
LGA-IAD: 1 mainline, 6 RJ
LGA-DEN: 5
DCA-ORD: 14
There are probably a few more, but that was a quick check on UAL's weblisting site.

Just another slick way of the company to make it look like there is more than meets the eye .. They're referring to RJ's in addition to the mainline...

smoke and mirrors

Furloughed 11months , 13days ...