Look at this

AOA

Apr 4, 2003
Here's betting that AMR will sweeten the deal with APFA so much that it will pass with a revote. Shorter time terms, less pay cuts. Then APA and TWU will be left with huge concessions for long contracts, looking like the idiots that they are.

AMR never makes their best deal in round one. And only APFA has figured this out.

"American''s auditor, Ernst & Young, warned investors Tuesday that American may be unable to continue as a “going concernâ€￾ because of cash flow problems."

Sounds like BK even with concessions. Hopefully the 2nd screwing will be easier to take.

AMR Could Let Flight Attendants Revote
By Eric Torbenson / The Dallas Morning News

American Airlines Inc. may give its flight attendants another chance to ratify their concession agreement if they are the only union of three to reject the deal Tuesday morning, according to a source close to the company.

The Fort Worth-based airline has said it will file for bankruptcy if any of three major unions reject tentative agreements for their share of $1.62 billion in annual concessions.

That ultimatum now appears to have a caveat.

The Association of Professional Flight Attendants, considered by some labor experts to be the most likely to reject its deal later this morning, asked Monday night for an extension from the company to allow for ballot problems to be ironed out. Some flight attendants have not received balloting instructions, according to an update on the APFA Web site.

The flight attendants'' voting has differed from that of the pilots or ground workers. They began voting almost immediately after the agreement was reached March 31, and many flight attendants voted before they considered the terms of the deal or the consequences of bankruptcy, according to flight attendant union officials who asked their members.

Unlike the other labor groups, the flight attendants did not allow vote changes, although the APFA board of directors considered doing that last week.

American could allow the flight attendants the chance to vote again, which would stall bankruptcy for at least another few days.

American''s auditor, Ernst & Young, warned investors Tuesday that American may be unable to continue as a “going concernâ€￾ because of cash flow problems.

----------------
On 4/15/2003 11:57:18 AM AOA wrote:

Here''s betting that AMR will sweeten the deal with APFA so much that it will pass with a revote. Shorter time terms, less pay cuts. Then APA and TWU will be left with huge concessions for long contracts, looking like the idiots that they are.

AMR never makes their best deal in round one. And only APFA has figured this out.

----------------​
I disagree - If AMR gives the APFA a second chance, it will probably be for MORE concessions and a longer deal. And the FAs would probably approve it.

----------------
On 4/15/2003 1:03:12 PM D3o2r8kdrvr wrote:

Industry standards dictate that you turn down the first TA and management knows this. I''m surprised that the mechanics accepted their proposal, not however that the Pilots ratified theirs. The pilots had no choice but to vote affirmatively, in bancruptcy they could have lost more than anyone knows. However, now AMR can sweeten up the deal with the F/As and make it look like they improved on the terms and the F/As union can face their membership and agree. Management isn''t stupid, looking at US Airways restructuring I say with confidence they had a back-up plan. Unfortunately now the clock ticks! Let''s see what happens.

----------------​

Yes, but in this case, for them and everyone else, it was a "first and only" T/A to avoid BK.

Tick... Tick... Tick... In the immortal words of Han Solo, "I have a bad feeling about this."

TANSTAAFL

Industry standards dictate that you turn down the first TA and management knows this. I''m surprised that the mechanics accepted their proposal, not however that the Pilots ratified theirs. The pilots had no choice but to vote affirmatively, in bancruptcy they could have lost more than anyone knows. However, now AMR can sweeten up the deal with the F/As and make it look like they improved on the terms and the F/As union can face their membership and agree. Management isn''t stupid, looking at US Airways restructuring I say with confidence they had a back-up plan. Unfortunately now the clock ticks! Let''s see what happens.

Revenue continues it''s decline. AMR cannot go on forever if this continues. Hopefully we are at the bottom.

If the company pulled this, it would lose what little credibilty it has left. A move like this would destroy any ability to work with the unions going forward.

----------------
On 4/15/2003 1:03:12 PM D3o2r8kdrvr wrote:

----------------​
So maybe AMR stretches the FAs deal to 8 years but gives them back their crew meals?

Yeah, the TWU has done that. Vote the first one down, then approve the second, and far worse offer.

----------------
On 4/15/2003 1:23:27 PM AAStew wrote:

Gee FWAAA, what do you do for AA...oh I know you bend over and say stick it here!

----------------​
I am not employed by AA - but I fly AA quite often (over 150k miles/year). Enjoy your unemployment if AMR doesn''t cut the APFA a large break.

Buh-bye.

There were a lot of APFA members who voted "no" prematurely and were not given a chance to change their vote. They will get another 24 hours to do so. It is my understanding that the provisions of the TA will not change (other than the part about revisiting wage increases before the 6 years are over).

All of this paranoia about a sweeter deal or more concessions is just a bunch of bunk.

----------------
On 4/15/2003 1:29:37 PM FWAAA wrote:

----------------
On 4/15/2003 1:23:27 PM AAStew wrote:

Gee FWAAA, what do you do for AA...oh I know you bend over and say stick it here!

----------------​
I am not employed by AA - but I fly AA quite often (over 150k miles/year). Enjoy your unemployment if AMR doesn''t cut the APFA a large break.

Buh-bye.

----------------​

This is too rich!! What a way to schmooze customers!

Is the fat lady humming??

----------------
On 4/15/2003 1:12:48 PM Connected1 wrote:

There were a lot of APFA members who voted "no" prematurely and were not given a chance to change their vote. They will get another 24 hours to do so. It is my understanding that the provisions of the TA will not change (other than the part about revisiting wage increases before the 6 years are over).

All of this paranoia about a sweeter deal or more concessions is just a bunch of bunk.

----------------​
They were told - approve or Chapter 11. Now they want a do-over.

Boo Hoo - they voted "prematurely." Too bad for them.

Hope their "emergency" skills don''t require a similar do-over. Life gives no do-overs.

Latest posts