Looks like we are fumbling the excution of the big plan

Gentlemen,

I hate to burst the bubble, but the CWA/IAM fleet contracts
ALLOW for cross utilization in class II stations, and have since 1999. Specifically, 25% of each agent's time can be scheduled in the other department. IT'S NEVER DONE!

True story. Back in 1999, I, an open-time ramp rat, went to SABRE school for customer service. Came back to my brand new manager, and said, ready, able and willing, sir! His response? We're not going to cross utilize here This, despite the fact we always had prior to him. He just wanted to justify hiring more agents, and he did. They are now laid off, with little prospect of recall. Additionally, I know of no class II station where cross-utilization is scheduled. Lastly, I have seen my boss pay overtime on the ramp, while he had customer service open time agent available to do that work. So take your cross ute grievance up with management - they write the schedule.

Jump to now. Management, rather than take advantage of what they ALREADY have, are going to RJ the class II stations.

And as I have brought this little fact out on umpteen threads prior to this one, I get just a whiff of NIMBY from certain quarters - cross ute is fine for others, but it just won't do in MY shop. I'll believe we're all singing KUM BA YA together when a pilot sees me in the bin by myself, and offers to help. Chip, I'll be looking for ya!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/4/2002 11:06:27 PM chipmunn wrote:
Lakeguys67’s comment that “the express carriers are limited to RJs with 76 seats or less, if it is 77 or more it is a mainline jet worked by all mainline employees” is accurate. Therefore, it does not make economic sense to bring in a RJ new fleet type into the mainline, but if necessary US could acquire the A-318 or to renegotiate the pilot’s scope clause to permit the EMB-190 or EMB-195 to operate at MidAtlantic Airways. In my opinion, once the company emerges from bankruptcy and is financially stronger, ALPA would likely not provide authorization for a RJ greater than 76 seats to be flown at the Express level, which is a point management completely understands. Except for HP & DL, all other major airlines have scope agreements that prevent a 90-seat RJ; therefore, at this time I do not see US having to play catch up in this market.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Umm, as the CCair guys are going to lose their jobs so that Woerth and the ALPA nuts ensure that 90-seaters never show up outside mainline scope, I'd say that the odds of ever seeing anything greater than 77 seats at MDA is slim or none.

In order for that to happen, one of two things would have to happen:

1. The RJDC wins or the regional guys finally figure out that having ALPA representation is not in their best interests (as they prove with regularity--see CCair).

2. ALPA/APA/etc sit down with management and flatten the compensation curve, such that a 30 year 747 guy is not clearing 300k/year for 4 days a month of work, while a 2 year RJ FO is doing better than 18k.

Don't count on either happening anytime soon, so the scope foolishness will continue, unchecked.

When i started with U ( Allegheny) IN Phl on the ramp in 72 The ramp leads run the jetways and the flight attendants pulled and cleaned the aircraft....Memories!!!

Chip,
I showed your note to the pilot spouse he laughed so hard. He said he'll help clean airplanes when the company buys and cleans his uniform, pays in full for benefits, and goes back to the old rates. Basically, hell will freeze over before that happens. OTOH, he thinks fellow pilots could be much more proactive if they cleaned the cockpits. Some are downright scary.