Luv And War In The Dfw Metroplex

corl737

Veteran
Jun 13, 2005
I have always held a sense of fascination (and amusement) watching the political wranglings between Dallas and Ft. Worth regarding aviation and airports. I've done a lot of research and reading on the topic, dating back to the early 1900s when aircraft first appeared in the future metroplex. With this in mind, here are a few of my favorite online resources for your consideration.

A few key items to keep in mind if you're looking specifically for history prior to the enactment of the Wright Amendment:

1) Southwest Airlines was granted its operating certificate by the Texas Aeronautics Commission, not the Civil Aeronautics Board. Thus, SWA was prohibited from engaging in interstate commerce.
2) Southwest Airlines was not in existence in 1968 when the Concurrent Bond Ordinance was enacted. This Ordinance required the phase-out of commercial air service at both Dallas Love and Ft Worth's Greater Southwest International/Meacham.
3) When DFW opened, even the City of Dallas sued Southwest in an attempt to make them move. However, the court declared that Dallas could "not lawfully exclude the defendant, Southwest Airlines Co., from the use of Love Field, Dallas, Texas, and its airport facilities so long as Love Field remains open as an airport." City of Dallas v. Southwest Airlines Co., N.D.Tex.1974, 371 F.Supp. 1015, 1035.
4) It was not until Federal Airline Deregulation and the sunset of the CAB in 1978 that SWA saw the opportunity to fly interstate. In 1979, Rep. Wright authored his amendment to restrict Love Field flights specifically to prevent SWA from competing outside the state however a compromise permitted flights to the four "adjoining states." (This is the so-called "deal" that many claim SWA is trying to reneg on.)
5) Ironically, the Wright Amendment - a measure that restricts airline competion - was attached to the "International Air Transportation Competition Act of 1979."

(Was it just a coincidence that American moved its headquarters from New York City to Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas in 1979? The new headquarters complex also included The Learning Center, a training facility; the Flight Academy, the pilot training facility, and the Southern Reservations Office. What a way to say "Thanks, Jim!" ... IMHO, of course!)

Anyway, here are the sources:

Texas History Archives: Dallas-Ft Worth International Airport

Texas History Archives: Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines v. Texas Int'l Airlines (1977) (My favorite quote comes from the Conclusion section of this lengthy transcript: "This is the eighth time in three years that a federal court has refused to support the eviction of Southwest Airlines from Love Field. Precisely worded holdings and deference to state authorities by the federal judiciary have only generated more suits, appeals, and petitions for rehearings. Once again, we repeat, Southwest Airlines Co. has a federally declared right to the continued use of and access to Love Field, so long as Love Field remains open.")

----------------------------------

Let me also put in this shameless promotional plug for a website operated by an individual who isn't a SWA employee, lives in Tarrant County, and is just plain fed-up with the cost of the Wright Amendment. John has done a great job with www.FightWright.org!

Thanks for the links! The Southwest vs. Texas International decision really clears some things up. On a state level, the decision came down to who has control of Love Field, the City of Dallas or the Texas Aeronautics Commission (TAC). The courts unequivocally found that the TAC has control and that the Bond Ordinance provisions were illegal. "The Ordinance violated state law by usurping the power of the TAC. After construing the TAC certification and order as authorization to serve Love Field specifically, the court held that the cities had no authority to order contrary performance. "

On a federal level, "The district court concluded that the Ordinance, if applicable to Southwest, would violate the federal prohibition "against unjust discrimination and the grant of an exclusive right" of access to some carriers and not others. 371 F.Supp. at 1026, citing 49 U.S.C. §§ 1110(1), 1718(1), 1349(a). The discrimination resulted from the phase-out provisions in Section 2.1G of the Ordinance, which would have allowed continued service at Love Field by commercial air taxis, unscheduled charters, unscheduled cargo planes, and even intrastate planes of the CAB carriers.

So the phase-out of commercial service was never intened to eliminate commercial service, just reduce it.

These decisions are referred to by some as a "legal loophole" that Southwest managed to exploit. However, the strong wording of the judge makes it difficult to call it a loophole:

As both the district and circuit opinions explain, to rule otherwise would disregard the plain language of the Texas Constitution, the Texas Municipal Airports Act, the Texas Aeronautics Act, and statutes regulating home rule cities, all of which support TAC authority over the controversy. 494 F.2d at 777; 371 F.Supp. at 1032-34. Because the state law is so clear, the federal courts did not violate any principles of federalism by proceeding to judgment without abstention in Southwest I.

Now you're getting it, ngneer! The events leading up to the enactment of the Wright Amendment have been clouded so much - by both sides - that only by going back to the actual original sources can a lot of the misinformation be laid to rest. Too bad that most people are satisfied to believe the rhetoric of those who would distort facts just to get their way. I applaud your willingness to read the awfully dry text of the legal proceedings. (It's much more entertaining to hear Herb's description of the happenings!)

The Southwest vs. Texas International decision really clears some things up. On a state level, the decision came down to who has control of Love Field, the City of Dallas or the Texas Aeronautics Commission (TAC). The courts unequivocally found that the TAC has control and that the Bond Ordinance provisions were illegal.

:up: BINGO! There was no "loop hole" because the provisions cited by the Wright Proponents was declared contrary to the then-current laws.

But, as we all know, things change. Through the years, the TAC transferred a lot more authority to local governments for control of airports. In 1989 the Texas Aeronautics Commission was abolished and, eventually in 1991 the Texas Department of Transportation's Aviation Division emerged as the state's ultimate aviation regulatory authority.

----

As an aside but relavent point, TxDOT has engaged in a program to establish the Trans Texas Cooridor, a network of highways and railways that would provide for more efficient surface transportation. As this 50-year project takes shape I would anticipate the need for short-haul air service to decrease throughout Texas. Thus the repeal of the Wright Amendment isn't just about doing what's right but about allowing flights from Love Field to actually provide a meaningful service to the passengers. :eek:

JS said:
I took a picture of this historical marker at Love Field (second one is zoomed in with my comments added)
[post="277136"][/post]​

JS-

I think that the others were right...I think you just like to argue. What does that have to do with anything? The metroplex hasn't grown at all since 1973 is what I get from your underlining that line. Amazing!!!

Thanks as always.

-Ch. 12

And TRULY thank you to corl737 for taking the time to adequately cite history, sources, etc. This is truly refreshing in the never-ending grudge match.

JS said:
I took a picture of this historical marker at Love Field (second one is zoomed in with my comments added)
[post="277136"][/post]​

I'm less surprised that the marker doesn't mention DFW by name than I am that it totally overlooks a little event that occurred in 1963 in which Love figured prominently...

corl737 said:
(Was it just a coincidence that American moved its headquarters from New York City to Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas in 1979? The new headquarters complex also included The Learning Center, a training facility; the Flight Academy, the pilot training facility, and the Southern Reservations Office. What a way to say "Thanks, Jim!" ... IMHO, of course!)
[post="277073"][/post]​

AA's training center had been located in Fort Worth since the 1950's. Same thing with pilot training. There was also a reservations office in Dallas prior to the HDQ move.

So, the only new AA facilities that came along with the 1979 move were the HDQ building.

You also overlook the somewhat key fact that Braniff was the largest airline at DFW (and at Love prior to the move) up until they collapsed in 1982, and the biggest beneficiary of Wright.

Former ModerAAtor said:
AA's training center had been located in Fort Worth since the 1950's. Same thing with pilot training. There was also a reservations office in Dallas prior to the HDQ move.

So, the only new AA facilities that came along with the 1979 move were the HDQ building.

You also overlook the somewhat key fact that Braniff was the largest airline at DFW (and at Love prior to the move) up until they collapsed in 1982, and the biggest beneficiary of Wright.
[post="277334"][/post]​

I didn't overlook a single thing ... the entire paragraph you quoted was clearly stated as my opinion! But you must admit that the HQ move appears to be somewhat more than just coincidental? ;)

Yes, Braniff outsized AA at Love Field. Poor management will bring any business down regardless of the place of operation. Likewise, intelligent management seeks the most appropriate place of operation and doesn't waiver from their plan simply to satisify the whims of others.

-- C

Former ModerAAtor said:
AA's training center had been located in Fort Worth since the 1950's.

Of course, back in those 'good ol' days' the "Learning Center" had the much more evocative moniker of "American Airlines Stewardess College". B)

mga707 said:
I'm less surprised that the marker doesn't mention DFW by name than I am that it totally overlooks a little event that occurred in 1963 in which Love figured prominently...
[post="277211"][/post]​

There are several historical plaques at Love Field. While the one "JS" showed doesn't describe the '63 event, there is a plaque inside the main lobby comemorating that LBJ was sworn in as president while aboard Air Force One on the ramp at Love Field. (I couldn't find a picture of it immediately but will post one when I do. Anyone who lives in Dallas available to take the photo?)

-- C

corl737 said:
I didn't overlook a single thing ... the entire paragraph you quoted was clearly stated as my opinion! But you must admit that the HQ move appears to be somewhat more than just coincidental? ;)
[post="277417"][/post]​

No, I don't see anything coincidental. The move to Texas was something that Casey had been considering for a while. High taxes, crime, and ongoing budgetary problems were making NYC quite business unfriendly, and AA was just one of many companies which left Manhattan. The lower cost of doing business and lower cost of living were what brought the general offices to Texas.

corl737 said:
There are several historical plaques at Love Field. While the one "JS" showed doesn't describe the '63 event, there is a plaque inside the main lobby comemorating that LBJ was sworn in as president while aboard Air Force One on the ramp at Love Field. (I couldn't find a picture of it immediately but will post one when I do. Anyone who lives in Dallas available to take the photo?)

-- C
[post="277427"][/post]​

Thanks! Didn't know that...will seek it out next time I visit DAL.

Former ModerAAtor said:
No, I don't see anything coincidental. The move to Texas was something that Casey had been considering for a while. High taxes, crime, and ongoing budgetary problems were making NYC quite business unfriendly, and AA was just one of many companies which left Manhattan. The lower cost of doing business and lower cost of living were what brought the general offices to Texas.
[post="277556"][/post]​

The exodus from Manhattan is well documented. Many other cities benefitted from the movement of numerous corporations. AA's move to Ft. Worth vs. other competing cites may well have been cemented by the "friendly gesture" of Jim Wright.

Of course since I'm not Al Casey I have to speculate, just as you do, right? But if it walks like a duck .... :D

-- C

corl737 said:
The exodus from Manhattan is well documented. Many other cities benefitted from the movement of numerous corporations. AA's move to Ft. Worth vs. other competing cites may well have been cemented by the "friendly gesture" of Jim Wright.

Of course since I'm not Al Casey I have to speculate, just as you do, right? But if it walks like a duck .... :D

-- C
[post="277608"][/post]​

Somebody posted the following link on the LUV stockboard, and it's a must-read. It's from 1997, and it deals primarily with the obstacles that Legend was facing at the time (before they eventually failed), but the article also delves into the Wright/Shelby Amendments, the local politics, and the responses of a certain airline at DFW. With respect to the current Wright issue, many of the things in this article will seem very familar...

It's a long read, but well worth it...

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/1997-...ws/feature.html