"come Out And Fly With The Big Boys"

darkclouds said:
nobody answered my thoughts about how you guy's can substantially reduce cost in the future....because you can be sure, all the dinosaurs will be lowering there cost. Recycling office supplies won't do it...
My point being SWA had it niche that has grown rapidly...the majors got by doing it their way....and badly.

[post="305188"][/post]​

I would imagine that if it came to that, they would implement the "reduce cost strategy" demonstrated by Continental, United, USAirways, Delta and Northwest...file chapter 7 and screw the creditors first, then get a boatload of money from GE to keep them afloat long enough to start giant fare sales that drag the other, newly competitive airlines right down with them.

>>>>darkclouds...nobody answered my thoughts about how you guy's can substantially reduce cost in the future....because you can be sure, all the dinosaurs will be lowering there cost. Recycling office supplies won't do it...
My point being SWA had it niche that has grown rapidly...the majors got by doing it their way....and badly>>>>>

Lets see, we've been around for over 30 years, I hardly think that's growing rapdily.

TheDog2004 said:
How much money is Southwest blowing in this stupid "Set Love Free" campaign anyway?
[post="306473"][/post]​

While some corporate funds are being used for the "Set Love Free" effort, (the vast majority of support is provided by the flying public. (Take a look at this consumer-sponsored anti-Wright website: www.FightWright.org as an example of what individuals are doing. None of the creators of this site are affiliated with SWA in any way other than being ticket buyers.)

There are basically two options for Southwest to grow its dwindling Dallas operation:
1) Move to a non-Wright-Restricted airport (not necessarily DFW) or
2) Get the Wright Amendment repealed.

In the course of analyzing the alternatives it is much, much less expensive to persue the elimination of the Wright Amendment and thus be able to continue utilizing existing infrastructure than to move and have to rebuild from the ground up. It's a good business decision.

Additionally, and perhaps more telling, is that this is an opportunity for the US Government -- our representatives -- to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt whether or not they truly support free business competition or want to continue to endorse protectionist measures. (I believe the perimeter rule in effect at DCA should go away, too!)

In history, many laws have been put in place then later rescinded. That's part of the process that allows our legal system to adapt to changes in societial practices. SWA is simply asking for a chance for the Wright Amendment to be re-evaluated based on the current light, not just on historical reasoning. If the rule has enough support to be repealed at this time, it will. If not, it won't.

(BTW, I am very well versed in the history of the building of DFW, the '68 Bond Ordinance, Wright Amendment, etc. so if you want to go down that road just let me know. I'll get out my water-cooled keyboard and we can start a new thread! :D )

-- C

corl737 said:
While some corporate funds are being used for the "Set Love Free" effort, (the vast majority of support is provided by the flying public. (Take a look at this consumer-sponsored anti-Wright website: www.FightWright.org as an example of what individuals are doing. None of the creators of this site are affiliated with SWA in any way other than being ticket buyers.)

There are basically two options for Southwest to grow its dwindling Dallas operation:

In the course of analyzing the alternatives it is much, much less expensive to persue the elimination of the Wright Amendment and thus be able to continue utilizing existing infrastructure than to move and have to rebuild from the ground up. It's a good business decision.

Additionally, and perhaps more telling, is that this is an opportunity for the US Government -- our representatives -- to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt whether or not they truly support free business competition or want to continue to endorse protectionist measures. (I believe the perimeter rule in effect at DCA should go away, too!)

In history, many laws have been put in place then later rescinded. That's part of the process that allows our legal system to adapt to changes in societial practices. SWA is simply asking for a chance for the Wright Amendment to be re-evaluated based on the current light, not just on historical reasoning. If the rule has enough support to be repealed at this time, it will. If not, it won't.

(BTW, I am very well versed in the history of the building of DFW, the '68 Bond Ordinance, Wright Amendment, etc. so if you want to go down that road just let me know. I'll get out my water-cooled keyboard and we can start a new thread! :D )

-- C
[post="306638"][/post]​

Now that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. You all really want us to believe that the flying public is funding your efforts to repeal the Wright Amendment? That the public instead of WN paid for the bill boards, print adds, tv spots?

Human Freight said:
Now that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. You all really want us to believe that the flying public is funding your efforts to repeal the Wright Amendment? That the public instead of WN paid for the bill boards, print adds, tv spots?
[post="306865"][/post]​

Yea its called tickets. :p

Human Freight said:
[post="306865"][/post]​

Happy I could provide you some humor.

That being said, without a doubt I'll agree that payments to the major media outlets come from SWA's corporate funds, money that would have been spent on advertising anyway. However, when all the costs are added up the efforts put forth by the public through letter writing to newspapers, congressmen, senators, plus calls to radio talk shows will far, far outstrip the direct corporate expenses. Can you imagine the cost of putting ads in literally hundreds of individual newspapers nationwide? I can't even begin to put a dollar value on it. Yet this is the action that the public has provided in support of the Wright Amendment repeal through their letters.

Never underestimate the power of the pen ... or keyboard! :)

corl737 said:

[post="306638"][/post]​
Well you admit that the purpose of this campaing is to save WN money not for low fares, more competiton, freedom, or all the other BS nice words thay are trying to feed us with......
Haven't seen any adds saying, Southwest could save this much money if we they are allowed to fly out of love .... hum that is not catchy enough.

air_guy said:
Well you admit that the purpose of this campaing is to save WN money not for low fares, more competiton, freedom, or all the other BS nice words thay are trying to feed us with......
Haven't seen any adds saying, Southwest could save this much money if we they are allowed to fly out of love .... hum that is not catchy enough.
[post="307091"][/post]​

Can you not do the simple math and understand that if it costs them less to do business, they can charge less to the consumer?? That way they don't have to price gouge like AA. It has worked so far and I haven't heard any consumer that has felt that they were taken by WN. They get the benefits of WN's low costs. Try to think through this one.

air_guy said:
[post="307091"][/post]​

Can anyone one from WN actually give a reason for the repeal of the WA that does not revolve around the justification and or protection of your business plan?

Human Freight said:
Can anyone one from WN actually give a reason for the repeal of the WA that does not revolve around the justification and or protection of your business plan?
[post="307101"][/post]​

Yes...b/c it is no longer necessary as DFW is able to stand on its own and Dallas has grown significantly enough to permit two airports to operate. I can also say that traffic doesn't have to increase...just allow through ticketing...what is the point of not allowing that? And it isn't about the WN plan...it is about reducing the cost of entry into the Dallas market thereby lowering fares but producing the same profits. Businesses and consumers win.

There...your turn. Give me something other than "DFW is fledgling" or "WN can move" or "it is law therefore it shouldn't change". Have you got anything? And can you spin it in a way so that it doesn't sound like supporting AMR?? That is a tough one...hmmmm......

Ch. 12 said:
Give me something other than "DFW is fledgling" or "WN can move" or "it is law therefore it shouldn't change". Have you got anything? And can you spin it in a way so that it doesn't sound like supporting AMR?? That is a tough one...hmmmm......
[post="307106"][/post]​

Can I try?

Obviously the Wright Amendment repeal is all about Marquette, Michigan! Yeah, that's it! A repeal of the Wright Amendment will cause a reduction in American's air service to the Sawyer International Airport, (Read it here) (Whoops, I forgot. American doesn't fly to Sawyer, only the Eagle does.)

Like at so many small cities around the country, AMR is hell-bent on promoting their "chicken little" agenda telling everyone who currently has Eagle service that they will lose their service because AA will have to realign their assets to provide a Love Field presence. Thus, to their credit, AMR has been able to spread fear at a time when people are skeptical about the ability of any other regional airline to stay in business.

These are small communitites that are so used to being so dependent on regional feeders that the loss of service, even high-priced service, is a blow to their Chamber of Commerce's ability to attract business. They know that they aren't even on SWA's long list so they automatically get in line with the only Devil they know, AMR. That AMR considers so many small towns "expendable" is another issue on its own.

Towns aren't "expendable". We are not the salvation army, we are trying to survive. I'm happy the fuel hedges are saving you from the agony everyone else is going through, I wouldn't wish this crap on anybody. But please don't sit there and tell me this isn't about WN's bottom line, it's about whats best for the consumer. :rolleyes:

Bagbelt said:
Towns aren't "expendable". We are not the salvation army, we are trying to survive. I'm happy the fuel hedges are saving you from the agony everyone else is going through, I wouldn't wish this crap on anybody. But please don't sit there and tell me this isn't about WN's bottom line, it's about whats best for the consumer. :rolleyes:
[post="307211"][/post]​

WN has proven decade after decade that the consumers benefit from its profits. AA has proven decade after decade that senior mgmt benefits from its profits.

Ch. 12 said:
WN has proven decade after decade that the consumers benefit from its profits. AA has proven decade after decade that senior mgmt benefits from its profits.
[post="307296"][/post]​
Wow, finally a post with some facts.

Ch. 12 said:
[post="307296"][/post]​

I like it, simple, to the point and the truth...good post.