Luv To Buy Aloha...

They no longer use it, but for YEARS WN crews overnighting in Harlingen stayed at a 50's vintage tourist court known as the Sun Valley Motor Inn.

It wasn't fancy but it was clean and the folks who owned it were long-time WN fans. In fact, at one time, Mr. George Young was about the only guy in the Valley who was welcoming WN to town with open arms.

When the hotel's courtesy van was tied up...and a crew wanted to go into town to get something to eat or run to the store......hotel employees would ordinarily just give them the keys to their own automobile. There was definitely a family relationship between WN and the hotel folks....and remember, this is Harlingen we're talking about, not NYC.

In fact, it was Mr Young who bought the first WN ticket on a flight out of HRL. Of course, the VP-Ground Ops couldn't get the cash register to work quite right as they set it up and the fare rang up as 15 cents rather than 15 dollars.

But that was the topical (or tropical, for that matter) reference....I don't guess FA30 ever overnighted in HRL when the Sun Valley was still the hotel of choice.

Lots of airlines put their crews in Circus Circus, its one of the few hotels that will tolerate pilots and FA's! :lol:

ELP_WN_Psgr said:
They no longer use it, but for YEARS WN crews overnighting in Harlingen stayed at a 50's vintage tourist court known as the Sun Valley Motor Inn.

It wasn't fancy but it was clean and the folks who owned it were long-time WN fans. In fact, at one time, Mr. George Young was about the only guy in the Valley who was welcoming WN to town with open arms.

When the hotel's courtesy van was tied up...and a crew wanted to go into town to get something to eat or run to the store......hotel employees would ordinarily just give them the keys to their own automobile. There was definitely a family relationship between WN and the hotel folks....and remember, this is Harlingen we're talking about, not NYC.

In fact, it was Mr Young who bought the first WN ticket on a flight out of HRL. Of course, the VP-Ground Ops couldn't get the cash register to work quite right as they set it up and the fare rang up as 15 cents rather than 15 dollars.

But that was the topical (or tropical, for that matter) reference....I don't guess FA30 ever overnighted in HRL when the Sun Valley was still the hotel of choice.
Actually, I have stayed at the Sun Valley. Even used the crew van to head over to the supermarket. Not the fanciest of accomodations but the management could not have been nicer.

Just read this whole thread. Haven't heard any announcement about SWA/AQ.

I HAVE heard ALK's maintenance and engineering guys were in the islands inspecting AQ. I also noticed a former ALK CEO's son bought the interisland half of AQ recently.

Things that make you go "Hmmm...".

Fubijaakr said:
I also noticed a former ALK CEO's son bought the interisland half of AQ recently.
You mean Island Air?
If so, then it's not quite the "interisland half" of AQ. AQ 737-200s do the interisland runs to LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO.
Island Air runs Dash-8s to Lana'i, Moloka'i, and West Maui.

It's official! Someone asked the Company if there are any truths to the rumors of Aloha being bought by SWA and the official Company's answer in a newsletter was a simple 'No.'

We can put this rumor to rest.

SWAFA30 said:
ELP_WN_Psgr said:

Actually, I have stayed at the Sun Valley. Even used the crew van to head over to the supermarket. Not the fanciest of accomodations but the management could not have been nicer.
Doesn't anyone recall the free Crown Vic car with gas included for trips to South Padre or Mexico? Plus the fun personally printed matchbooks? I always liked it there.

Chris SWA F/A :)

wwtraveler99 said:
SOUTHWEST IS IN THE WORKS OF GETTING THEIR 737-700 OVERWATER-EQUIPPED AND ETOPS...NOT JUST 4 HAWAII BUT TO SHAVE OFF TIME FROM THE WEST COAST & TEXAS TO FL. INSTED OF HUGGING THE COAST FOR EXAMPLE MSY-FLL...

I have always been curious why LUV has not gone after the over water exemption for the Northern Gulf coast and West Atlantic coast to Florida. Basically it allows you to operate in those regions, without rafts, not to exceed 162 nm from a shoreline. :blink:

Latest posts

Back