Machinists Union Update

Joe Tiberi, spokesman for the machinists' union, said it was no surprise that the airline filed the motion, and said the union is preparing to defend its position in court while it continues to negotiate a possible consensual agreement.

See Story

Why would Tiberi make that statement if there were no discussions? 700UW, as a self proclaimed IAM "insider", how can your own union spokesman contradict you? Inquiring minds want to know... In regard to company’s filing, I believe it’s clear the IAM-M has been conducting bad faith negotiations with their “concession stand is closedâ€￾ position, and it could come back to haunt the union membership big time, just like with ALPA and the RC4.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Tim:

Please explain certain missives? Did the IAM-FSA and IAM-M not meet with the company this week? Did each portion of the union appoint a NC? Are negotiations occuring?

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="200227"][/post]​

yo man, I'm sure you know what I am talking about and you see the big picture.
But whatever the case, IMO, your pontificating seems almost desperate and I think you should allow other opinions like 700's and others to have more space. Dude, you get too wrapped up in this stuff.
At any rate, I just surfed on here for a few minutes and I will simply bow out of this thread since neither it or most of this subject doesn't capture meaning to me like it once did.

regards,

Rico and 320,

I never said there were no discussions going on.

By the way DC has been chilly this week and last week.

Did not see either of you there.

The company's S.1113© motion is well written, obviously took a lot of time to prepare, and is a compelling argument. Now I understand even more why the CWA, AFA, and IAM want to reach consensual accords. At least Joe Tiberi says the IAM is negotiating.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Rnwy 1 ILS to a landing, turnoff and taxi in via Kilo to Gate 36, ran in to get a Chicken Ceaser Salad from Ranch 1, preflighted, ate my salad, pushed back, and departed off of 1... Total time in DCA = 48min.

Next time I will try to fit in some time for the IAM, but honestly, I was hungry and in a rush this last time

USA320Pilot said:
The company's S.1113© motion is well written, obviously took a lot of time to prepare, and is a compelling argument. Now I understand even more why the CWA, AFA, and IAM want to reach consensual accords. At least Joe Tiberi says the IAM is negotiating.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="200239"][/post]​

Wait wait wait which is it? You said that 700 was saying there wasn't any discussions but used Joe Tiberi's statement to say there was. Then you said in regard to the companies filing that it was obvious the the IAM was conducting bad faith negotiations. Now you say the IAM badly wants to reach consensual agrrements. Why don't the puzzle pieces fit. Why can you keep your nose outta others business and stop trying to sway people to your warped way of thinking?

In regard to a strike, page 104 and beyond of the following motion provide interesting information:

See Story

The company's motion and contract terms are well presented. It will be very, very difficult for any union to prevent "imposition". During ALPA's negotiations each proposal got worse and worse, thus, to save as much of a contract as possible each union may want ot cut the best deal possible.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The company's S.1113© motion is well written, obviously took a lot of time to prepare, and is a compelling argument.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="200239"][/post]​

Don't be overly impressed; that is the point of writing persuasive legal briefs. I can assure you that the judge's law clerks won't be falling off their chairs in admiration for either party's submissions; but rather weighing the applicablility of the pertinent case law or statutory authorities cited within the brief.

In regards to your PM you sent me I cannot answer it because 1. You won't let me send you pm because you turned them off when I proved you wrong many times and you couldn't accept it. And 2. Reread your question because it doesn't make sense. And 3. You deserve nothing from me, you ignored me when I brought you to task for your misinformation and you constantly say others are wrong in your holier then thou attitude but then run with your tail between your legs when you are proved wrong not to mention your running to the moderators. Your type makes me sick and that IS NOT A ATTACK just the truth.

USA320Pilot said:
Joe Tiberi, spokesman for the machinists' union, said it was no surprise that the airline filed the motion, and said the union is preparing to defend its position in court while it continues to negotiate a possible consensual agreement.

See Story

Why would Tiberi make that statement if there were no discussions? 700UW, as a self proclaimed IAM "insider", how can your own union spokesman contradict you? Inquiring minds want to know... In regard to company’s filing, I believe it’s clear the IAM-M has been conducting bad faith negotiations with their “concession stand is closedâ€￾ position, and it could come back to haunt the union membership big time, just like with ALPA and the RC4.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="200233"][/post]​

USA320,

The RC4 represented their members to the fullest extent of their obligation to do so.

PIT and PHL members voted by majority against the T/A.

Just in case you forgot.

USA320Pilot said:
In regard to a strike, page 104 and beyond of the following motion provide interesting information:

See Story

The company's motion and contract terms are well presented. It will be very, very difficult for any union to prevent "imposition". During ALPA's negotiations each proposal got worse and worse, thus, to save as much of a contract as possible each union may want ot cut the best deal possible.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="200248"][/post]​

The company wants the judge to ignore the RLA in favor of bankruptcy code and then after abrogation, rely on the RLA to prevent a strike.

Good luck with that. And even if he does prevent self-help, you can be assured that the IAM-M will walk immediately upon emergence or the end of the cooling off period (assuming it even goes that far). And you still lose your job.

The IAM-M is speaking of negotiations so they don't give the company extra ammunition for the 1113 hearing. Unlike ALPA's advisors and MEC chairman (who went out of their way to make the company's job much easier in taking your money), the IAM-M seems to (at least publically) be acting with the welfare of it's members in mind.

Article
ClueByFour said:
The company wants the judge to ignore the RLA in favor of bankruptcy code and then after abrogation, rely on the RLA to prevent a strike.

Good luck with that. And even if he does prevent self-help, you can be assured that the IAM-M will walk immediately upon emergence or the end of the cooling off period (assuming it even goes that far). And you still lose your job.

The IAM-M is speaking of negotiations so they don't give the company extra ammunition for the 1113 hearing. Unlike ALPA's advisors and MEC chairman (who went out of their way to make the company's job much easier in taking your money), the IAM-M seems to (at least publically) be acting with the welfare of it's members in mind.
[post="200296"][/post]​

As Per the Pittsbugh Trib:

Playing hardball with labor could backfire by provoking a strike that could kill the company, said Michael Boyd, an aviation analyst in Evergreen, Colo.

"US Airways is botching this big time," Boyd said. "They're digging their own grave. Lakefield and company can't see the forest for the sawmill."

A top negotiator with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers predicted that the company's motion yesterday "is going to put a hell of a lot of pressure on both parties to come to a consensual agreement" before the judge can act.

Bill Freiberger, assistant general chairman for the IAM's District 142, also said a strike is an option if the contracts are abrogated but believes it will not come to that.

If the contracts are thrown out, Freiberger predicts employee morale will plummet, "the operation would probably go to hell" and the company would collapse. "It is over at that point," he said.

Talks between the IAM and US Airways are slow-going, he said. A big sticking point is the company's request to outsource the duties of many mechanics, stock clerks and airplane cleaners -- a move Freiberger said would cost 2,800 jobs.

The IAM is not giving up hope, he added. "We are going to work as hard as we can to get a consensual agreement and try to preserve as many jobs at a livable wage as we can," Freiberger said.

ClueByFour said:

[post="200296"][/post]​

Thank you, Cx4,and exactly so.

Under the RLA, a union retains the right to strike over a 'major' dispute.

For those short on memory, the ONLY reason the IAM did not strike over the Airbii farmout, was that the judge ruled it a 'minor' dispute, thus relegating it to arbitration (which the IAM won, to the tune of some $15 mil).

Surely, no one, including the Palace, intends to argue that abrogation is a 'minor' dispute? :D

Somewhere on the horizon, a strike looms, unless the company and the unions come to MUTUALLY agreeable terms.

If the company, via the judge, could impose any and every thing they pleased, THEY WOULD HAVE, ALREADY.

Labor, in and of itself, cannot save U. But like Samson, they can sure bring it down.

700uw.... since you were there on whatever floor and in whatever conference room this week and have all the information, exactly what contract did the company present to the Judge to take the place of the existing contract for IAM-FSA