Mainline to take over all DCI ops in CVG?

Kev3188

Veteran
Oct 5, 2003
Right in the middle.
There's a thread over on A.Net saying that'll happen May 1st. You can check it out here.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? If anyone happens to be in CVG, maybe some additional info?

Definitely good news, if true.

"Apply for 1 of 100 opening mainline Ready Reserve positions."
If in fact these mainline opening are ready reserve positions. These ready reserve positions will be fill with employees working when where and length of hours solely at DL command
All with NO benefits

If in fact these mainline opening are ready reserve positions. These ready reserve positions will be fill with employees working when where and length of hours solely at DL command
All with NO benefits

Do you have that in writing?

All with NO benefits

You actually get better flight benefits as a ready reserve. According to their website: "...As part of our Ready Reserve program, you can work 300 - 999 hours per year. This position could be the perfect entry-level position though, which could eventually allow you to apply for a full-time position if you so desire. The benefits include flight privileges and working flexible schedules." -

So average could be anywhere from 6.25 hrs/week up to 20. Don't know about medical, health, dental, vacation, sick days, etc; A friend of mine is a r/r agent and actually loves it, especially the flexibility of the work schedule. However, if you need the income, it probably won't help out too much.
I wish mainline was in my city!

Do you have that in writing?

John John might not, but the CVG employees do. On another site, affected REAS employees have been quoting the letters they received from station leadership. All have mentioned the new spots being Ready Reserve. As you are also well aware, all new ACS positions are RR. If you have info indicating otherwise, please post it; it'd be good news.

EDIT: Here ya go; straight from Delta.com. Since you're PMDL, I'm sure you can see this on Ebid...

Requisition #: 99027

Position: Baggage Handler/Ramp Operator (Ready Reserve)

(For those outside of DL, this was posted yesterday for CVG)

Don't know about medical, health, dental, vacation, sick days, etc;

Ready reserves don't get any benefits.

I think this a good move. I wish they were adding ML fulltime positions, but at least they are bringing the work back in house. I wish they would bring all public contact positions in house. They need to do away with all the wholeyowned connection stuff and make that part of mainline. A gate agent working a CRJ should be paid the same as one working a 777. They are public contact. They are the face of DL when flights are delayed. Everyone working these connection flights should be at Mainline rates. They are responsible for our customers.

You actually get better flight benefits as a ready reserve.
They do? How so
They work when where and how long solely at managements demand. There is a thing call part-time with benefits and work rules. Now that is flexibility

There's a thread over on A.Net saying that'll happen May 1st. You can check it out here.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? If anyone happens to be in CVG, maybe some additional info?

Definitely good news, if true.
Wow, our company actuall fulfilling their promises?! I can guarantee this though, if the unions get involved and raise the cost of this move, the company will change back to outsourcing. It is up to our own employees to prove their worth. My group has, in fact we are insourcing. Kev and I have discussed this behind the scenes. Are the ramp workers willing to match us? Are you willing to be in the customer service business? With or without a union?

I may be in the minority, but I don't think that representation and productivity are mutually exclusive.

With CVG, I think it's win-win; you eliminate duplication-and a 3rd party- while increasing the productivity of the remaining workforce, thus lowering over all costs (or at least off setting fixed costs somewhat.). While I'm diametrically opposed to Ready Reserve, that's a thought for another day. Hopefully, in the future that can be resolved as well, as I fully believe that "regular" employees have a more vested interest in the long term success of a company, and offer a larger return on the company's investment in them.

For employees, that may mean raising the performance bar somewhat, but it all starts with the hiring process; a good package attracts good workers. From there, a more rigorous application of the probationary review is required. I feel that these are two areas where both the union and company can work together. 'Course that means putting egos aside, but it's definitely doable-and needs to be done. I can only speak for myself, but I have no interest in my crew being populated with people that can barely fog a mirror, are glued to their iPhone the whole shift, or are constantly on Travelnet looking for their next flight.

Bottom line: I've said it before, but it bears repeating- If you want to be treated like a professional, you must act like a professional.

Back to insourcing: If DL means what they say, then it's time for more action. What now needs to happen at a minimum is the same thing at the handful of line stations where a similar situation to CVG continues to exist. All along, we have heard the "we can't do anything until representation is resolved." CVG just threw that argument out the window. There is no reason to continue to maintain duplicate workforces in these stations; especially if the M/L staff can absorb the work with the existing compliment. Another thing I personally would like to see is the return of cross utilization in the smaller PMDL cities where DL staffs M/L above wing, but farms out below wing work (these were called "4 hour rule" cities at NW).

As for insourcing, I'm all for it, mostly for the same reasons already discussed. I'd also like to see more handling contracts wherever possible. Again, these are all things that labor & the company can-and should- work on together if egos are put aside, and an air of mutual respect reigns.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think that representation and productivity are mutually exclusive.

For employees, that may mean raising the performance bar somewhat, I have no interest in my crew being populated with people that can barely fog a mirror, are glued to their iPhone the whole shift, or are constantly on Travelnet looking for their next flight.

Bottom line: I've said it before, but it bears repeating- If you want to be treated like a professional, you must act like a professional.
Holy smokes Kev. That about sums up most of my reasons for leaving the company. Add the contract changes on part-time ratio's, the loss of pay and benefits under the cloak of hard times and not the real reason, restructuring for this f###ed up merger, and you've said it all.

They do? How so
They work when where and how long solely at managements demand. There is a thing call part-time with benefits and work rules. Now that is flexibility
I was referencing the original 18 int'l travel days (pre-merger) are now unlimited. Again, you are limited how many hours you work per year as a Ready Reserve Agent. (999 hrs/year).
So yes, in essence you can work 40 hours a week on rotating shifts until you reach your maximum hours but you're not supposed to exceed the 999 hours in a given year, otherwise you'd be considered p/t.
Starting off as a R/R could lead to something part-time then full-time..who knows. Depends on the station and what you want to do.