Man escapes custody at airport, taken down by US Airways employees

Point of order:

Just because they did the right thing and should be complimented and rewarded. Even 100% right doesn't prevent the escapee from filing a lawsuit. It might be a worthless a roll of Charmin but it can focre the "The Good GUYs to incur legal fees.

You're right. The company should, however, cover those costs in the interest of doing the right thing. Oh, wait, I almost forgot who I work for.

Maybe on of the PHX folks can confirm this but according to a post on another forum the US employee was a retired Chicago police officer.

Harry

I know of at least one flight attendant who is a retired Chicago police officer and others retired from other police forces.

You're right. The company should, however, cover those costs in the interest of doing the right thing. Oh, wait, I almost forgot who I work for.

They likely would IMO as in a case like this, US Airways would get sued as well.The likely argument would be that the employees in question were acting as "Agents" of the Company. If you do a quick search "Agency Law" is pretty well explained in quite a few articles.

Yes an employee is supposed to challenge. Challenge, however, means to question the suspicious person, and if it can't be resolved to notify LEOs. It is NOT an employees job or responsibility to detain anyone, with the exception of flight crew in flight. Anything else gets into a legal risk area. A citizen can detain anyone for criminal puropses, but they assume the risks involved, including a lawsuit for false imprisonment (if warranted). That said, kudos to those involved.

For what it's worth, this isn't the first time in PHX either. I think 7 or 8 years ago the same thing happened. Guy jump out of one of the aft doors and took off running. An AWA ramper tagged him and detained him. I'm not aware of any lawsuit. And, at least in LAS, there have been lots of former LEOs working on the ramp, including some current LEOs.

i can see the lawsuit now .......

Jugde : so your suing this retired police officer for detaning you while you were escaping from the police

victem : yes your honor !

Judge : case dimissed .....

A long, long time ago, the used to give the MSP employees a $20 bill if you challenged one of the sneaky gov agents that try to get by you to get in the sterile area or down the jetbridge. Everyone did a great job back then! Still do a great job but that incentive would be nice! :)

The whole challenge thing was started before 9/11 when the checkpoint people stayed at the checkpoint.

Now you got the almighty Guestapo, or TSA, all over the place, but you still have to do their job. They should enforce the whole challenge thing, because you catch the heat when you report airline employees piggy-backing on one employee's swipe. They are also the ones who claim that the travellers safety is their priority. My priority is doing my job with the least headaches possible.

US use to pay $25 when you challenged an FAA Inspector succesfully.

Back