Management Wins while Company Loses?

This thread has so much corporate BS I dont know where to start..

I am staying in this industry for know because I do love working on airplanes, but to bow down to corporate BS is not something I am willing to do..
For a CEO to tell me there is no money for personel in maintenance, while there are open IT, managment, ..etc. positions paying much more just sucks. They dont scoff at paying $30 an hour for a 2yr grad to work on a computer, but a 2 year grad plus 5 plus years experience to work on a 30 million dollar computer that fly's Oh they shouldnt make that much.. Theres no money..
You want to fly on a plane worked on by idiots? Where does it go from there. Flown by idiots. Built by idiots.... Thats the way it is headed. There are so many career paths an A&P could/can choose to earn more yet the aviation bug caught them. And your response to these motivated, educated, exsperienced individuals is love it or leave it???? Ok you take that flight!
I would love for this merger to work out great but wheres our insentive... A job? Theres pleanty of those out there.. Understanding that many of these posts are from people with excellent work ethics, and hell more power to you.. Hows that all workin out for you so far...
Till you have walked in a mechanics shoes dont post on these matters please.
Gigity.... gigity....goo

SMMECH.....not sure who your response was aimed at as far as having walked in a mechanics shoes but if it was aimed at me, you're wrong. I have walked in those shoes for 25+ years and still have those shoes. And yes, I have taken that flight as you say. I am underpaid as we all are but I have chosen to stay on the flight because I LOVE IT. I love my career, I love the people that I work with (for the most part), I have made life long friends in this industry, and I love aviation. And yes, I have an excellent work ethic as many aviation professionals do, and it's working out for me just fine. There are many opportunites for everyone and you have to take advantage of them. I did. But most of all, you have to realize that the opportunites are there. And I'm not bashing the union or the non union. We all make choices as to the path of our careers and if we can't live with the choice, then it's time to make another. That's my point.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

How many airline CEO's are there? Damn few, and damn few good ones.

If Doug and company don't do the job, the board will throw them out.

How much do the union chiefs make? Hmmm?
I wish that were true, But the "Board" is part of the problem..

I know how much the union chiefs make...Too Much.

Even though US Airways reported a 2005 third quarter
loss of $87 million, the company’s executives are reaping
huge rewards.
Former US Airways CEO Bruce Lakefield left the faltering
company with a reward of $1.3 million.
CEO Doug Parker, who already earns $550,000 annually
plus a bonus of between $440,000 and $880,000, received:
• 500,000 shares of America West stock at a purchase
price of $8.65. That stock, now converted to US Airways,
is worth $33.49 – a potential $12 million in profit.
• Appreciation rights for 196,000 shares for common stock
and 61,000 shares of restricted stock.
Parker also has a $2 million term life insurance policy and a
guaranteed severance package including 200 percent of his
base salary and other perks.
We can’t afford to reward mismanagement. It’s time to invest in our future and the success of the airline.
US Airways:
Invest In What Works
TEAMSTERS LOCAL 104
At US Airways Management Wins
While Company Loses
:)

First I like to say.
Happy Thannksgiving

To correct your math a little
500,000 shares of America West stock at a purchase
price of $8.65. That stock, now converted to US Airways,
is worth $33.49 – a potential $12 million in profit.

The 500,000 shares of AWA stock is only 205,000 share of US Airways stock. AWA stock was only .410 of the New US Airways stock. That is a profit of 2,540,450.
Alot of money but Doug is taking what the Board Gives out.

I like to end with
Merry Christmas

Its 2005, you don't like it, leave, get a new career, the days of unionized folks with cushy contracts is over. Either be part of the team committed to success, or leave, whiners are just excess drag.

The industry has changed, if you don't change with it, you are on the fringe, bitching and whining.
Sounds like a typical retiree.... :lol:

Maybe it does sound like a "typical retiree" but........it appears that it's a philosophy that workers are going to have to adapt to. All in the name of survival.

If all you unhappy, where's mine, the company owes me, folks.... would find happiness, what's yours, and a company that owes you, it would improve your life. I'm sure there are plenty of employers just standing in line to hire folks with such an attitude. Do yourself a favor...go find them and leave us to do the work that needs to be done to make this merger successful. This company has a lot of great employees, but it doesn't take to many bad apples to spoil the whole bunch.
So in other words, we want to stay on the Titantic and patch the hole. Meanwhile the captain and crew go sailing away aboard a yacht to Margaritaville. Okay. :blink:

SMMECH.....not sure who your response was aimed at as far as having walked in a mechanics shoes but if it was aimed at me, you're wrong. I have walked in those shoes for 25+ years and still have those shoes. And yes, I have taken that flight as you say. I am underpaid as we all are but I have chosen to stay on the flight because I LOVE IT. I love my career, I love the people that I work with (for the most part), I have made life long friends in this industry, and I love aviation. And yes, I have an excellent work ethic as many aviation professionals do, and it's working out for me just fine. There are many opportunites for everyone and you have to take advantage of them. I did. But most of all, you have to realize that the opportunites are there. And I'm not bashing the union or the non union. We all make choices as to the path of our careers and if we can't live with the choice, then it's time to make another. That's my point.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Airwomen this was not aimed at anyone in piticular but some of your posts would be included in the mix. As far as my statement " you go ahead and take that flight" .. Well I was trying to make a point that if all the good mechanics leave the industry when they finnaly get feed up
would you want to fly then? Even with the wealth of exsperienced mechanics in aviation today there are still many maintenance related insidents, now remove that exsperienced workforce... Take that flight.
Statements like " The days of cushy contracts are over" just belittles the work we do as tech's, like were not worth a decent living.

Airwomen this was not aimed at anyone in piticular but some of your posts would be included in the mix. As far as my statement " you go ahead and take that flight" .. Well I was trying to make a point that if all the good mechanics leave the industry when they finnaly get feed up
would you want to fly then? Even with the wealth of exsperienced mechanics in aviation today there are still many maintenance related insidents, now remove that exsperienced workforce... Take that flight.
Statements like " The days of cushy contracts are over" just belittles the work we do as tech's, like were not worth a decent living.

That's a BIG if........there are still a lot of good mechanics left, just as you said. And those are the ones that will pass the torch to the new generation of mechanics and technicians. So if you are one of the good mechanics, technicians, and because of your love of the industry, be a teacher and keep the industry alive and well.

I am quite sure that I have never said anything about cushy contracts. And I don't think that who ever said that, was meaning to belittle any one and if they did, they were dead wrong. The industries, and not just aviation, are hurting and for many reasons thus the disappearance of the "cushy" contracts.

So sad it is.....but aviation mechanics/technicians have NEVER been valued or seen as highly skilled/trained as they should be. Auto mechanics can get paid more and there are a heck of a lot less bodies inside a car than there are on an airplane.

I really get tired of the notion that if you don't agree, you are negative, whiny, or entitled. Brothers and sisters, that don't work with me. It's the same as our "president" saying you are unpatriotic if you don't believe in the Iraq mess. How insulting!!

As far as the money, stock or whatever? It matters not to me if it is cash, stock, or grandma's china. For ANYONE associated with the new US Airways to take ANY increase in ANY capacity is sickening. WHEN we make a profit and WHEN we are #1 in the hearts and minds of the flying public..I will then fully endorse an increase.

This is the same old song and dance I've heard for years. Is it SUCH a stretch for the top brass to say...."This is not an appropriate time to receive performance compensations and we are not yet where we need to be and taking this benefit would and has sent the wrong message"?

But no, if you question anything, you are negative or unhappy. What a load of crap!!

I am highly disappointed with Doug and the boys of Tempe...Same song, different home office.

You can wrap this turd up in the most beautiful and expensive wrapping, but guess what? It's still a turd.

I really get tired of the notion that if you don't agree, you are negative, whiny, or entitled. Brothers and sisters, that don't work with me. It's the same as our "president" saying you are unpatriotic if you don't believe in the Iraq mess. How insulting!!

As far as the money, stock or whatever? It matters not to me if it is cash, stock, or grandma's china. For ANYONE associated with the new US Airways to take ANY increase in ANY capacity is sickening. WHEN we make a profit and WHEN we are #1 in the hearts and minds of the flying public..I will then fully endorse an increase.

This is the same old song and dance I've heard for years. Is it SUCH a stretch for the top brass to say...."This is not an appropriate time to receive performance compensations and we are not yet where we need to be and taking this benefit would and has sent the wrong message"?

But no, if you question anything, you are negative or unhappy. What a load of crap!!

I am highly disappointed with Doug and the boys of Tempe...Same song, different home office.

You can wrap this turd up in the most beautiful and expensive wrapping, but guess what? It's still a turd.
I agree that anything is to much when we are still reporting -87 mil to Wall Street. Should be based on a % of the money over 0 that we report to Wall Street. example 10% if we report 1 mil they get 100000.

Agreed.........a turd is a turd is a turd........just like putting lipstick on a pig......it's still a pig!!

Supposedly, the raises were to retain competent and talented and experienced people. And what about the rest of the competent and talented and experienced people??

It's a fact that there is a glut of aviation professionals out there. And the big boys know it BUT they don't seem to think about the time and dedication that the current employees have shown. And honestly, it's not even just the big boys........it's down to a manager level where you're yearly review is NOT performanced based.......it's divided up equally.

Guess there are turds and there are turds. :D

So in other words, we want to stay on the Titantic and patch the hole. Meanwhile the captain and crew go sailing away aboard a yacht to Margaritaville. Okay. :blink:

Your point is taken, assuming your refering to the exec raises. Although DP didn't take a raise, it still was not a good PR move with employees. Possibly it was due to additionaly responsiblity/working hours or retention fears? Still not the swiftest of moves at this particular time.