Marooned By US Airways

And a former UA employee I believe so I dont know why they are so fascinated with the die hard US customers.
It is not US customers I am fascinated with -- it is the whole frequent flyer entitlement mentality, from any airline.

That, and the parallels with airline employees. Both groups have a very refined sense of entitlement, and complain endlessly about how terrible things are at XYZ Air, yet never leave! I find it very interesting for a couple of reasons that tie into the work I am doing now.

Potential UA customers if they'd "just stop complaining and leave" US, maybe.....

Jim
I encourage passengers to use the airlines that gives them value for their money, and avoid using ones that don't. If someone is unhappy with UA, I would encourage them to leave UA as well. (But if you look at the UA board, there is a notable absence of complaining passegners. Why is that?) It makes no difference to me whether UA shuts down tomorrow or not, or if USAirways does.

All airlines have to learn how to give value to their customers, of they will be history. The ones that don't do that don't deserve to be in business in the first place; and the ones that do it well (and their employees) deserve to be rewarded with financial success.

There are many less posts on their board also. This board has many frequent visitors and active FFD elite posters. How many of their elite even know this board exists? This is not a Consumer Complaint forum given out by the government. I notice nothing wonderful has beeb posted by their elites either.

In the instance cited at the start of the thread, these passengers got exactly what they would have from SWA. From their own actions they have made it clear that this is what they will pay for.

Unfortunately, consumers in the United States are very dollar nearsighted and don't see the very real consequences of purchasing decisions that they make. The abuses of Wal-MArt are the primary case in point. Sure, they want a bargain jar of Vlasic pickles that Wal-Mart ruthlessly secured for them. What they miss is that their small gain put Vlasic in bankruptcy. They save a few pennies on other products because Wal-Mart doesn't give their employees any medical coverage to speak of. What they miss is that those employees are forced into government hospital emergency rooms for general medical care. Who pays? The taxpayers who think they save at Wal-Mart big-time and end up with tax bills going through the roof to subsidize the health care that Wal-Mart refuses to provide its employees.

And the incident that started this thread is a prime example of the Wal-Martization of the airline industry. It is 100% the result of consumer decisions.

You've just eloquently, and precisely given everyone on this board the "big picture".

It is not US customers I am fascinated with -- it is the whole frequent flyer entitlement mentality, from any airline.

That, and the parallels with airline employees. Both groups have a very refined sense of entitlement, and complain endlessly about how terrible things are at XYZ Air, yet never leave! I find it very interesting for a couple of reasons that tie into the work I am doing now.
I encourage passengers to use the airlines that gives them value for their money, and avoid using ones that don't. If someone is unhappy with UA, I would encourage them to leave UA as well. (But if you look at the UA board, there is a notable absence of complaining passegners. Why is that?) It makes no difference to me whether UA shuts down tomorrow or not, or if USAirways does.

All airlines have to learn how to give value to their customers, of they will be history. The ones that don't do that don't deserve to be in business in the first place; and the ones that do it well (and their employees) deserve to be rewarded with financial success.

Bear,

I think most of the posters do not fully understand what you mean, or your perspective. And it is obvious to me they are on the "defensive" or think they have to be on the denfensive the second there is an "appearance" of a differing opinion.

Folks usually can understand both sides of the equation when they don't have a dog in the fight.

What you state in your last paragraph says it all...and I am really quite surprised by the comments by some that I really respect didn't get it after many crystal clear retorts.

Aren't you glad you went into law? I'm envious. Hope you are soaring...my friend. :)

Latest posts