Mda Instructors/checkers Non-alpa

BlackOps

Nov 3, 2003
Why is it that the MDA instructors and check airmen aren't seniority list pilots? Isn't there a conflict of interest in having non-seniorty list pilots doing the checking? What if the company decides to screw a pilot on a checkride?

How could the Airways MEC allow this to happen to the furloughees they say they care so much about? (Of course, all of the PSA check pilots are management.)

I can imagine how happy an Airways APL furloughee with a seniority number from 1987 will be when some other Airways APL furloughee with one years' seniority is busting his stones in the sim... and making $80,000 a year in the process.

Non-contract management pilots riding herd on union pilots. Great stuff.

Looks like the old boy (bootlicker) network rides again!

:down:

I've been wondering the same thing about MDA Inflight instructors and supervisors. I've been told they were taken from mainline... dont those folks already have jobs? Its been two years now for some of this company's furloughees and still no news.

Unfortunately it's true. Not one of the MDA instructors, line or check airmen is on the seniority list. It's my understanding that MDA never advertised those jobs to APL pilots. They simply hired their cronies, and sadly, the mainline pilots who set MDA up were fine with it. So much for the guys and gals who have decades of experience. I think that the least they could have done was offer the jobs to them.

Now the sim operators and check people will owe management one... big time.

I'd hate to get on their bad side. :down:

Light Years said:
I've been wondering the same thing about MDA Inflight instructors and supervisors. I've been told they were taken from mainline... dont those folks already have jobs?
It is unfortunate that MANY people have been on furlough for some time now, but why should someone that ALREADY has a job not try to advance themselves elsewhere in the company? Many of these instructors may have been furloughed themselves very soon. Would you go where there would be a bit more security for you? Did you apply for an Instructor position or a Supervisor position? Did you apply for ANY of the positions that were/are available to furloughees and active employees? I happen to know that these individuals were choosen due to their background and experience.
I am not bashing you by any means.
The point is that, just because they "already" had a job doesn't mean they can't strive for more.

BlackOps said:
I can imagine how happy an Airways APL furloughee with a seniority number from 1987 will be when some other Airways APL furloughee with one years' seniority is busting his stones in the sim... and making $80,000 a year in the process.
Of course, what he's really unhappy about was missing the job posting for the $80k job he could have had himself.

BlackOps said:
Unfortunately it's true. Not one of the MDA instructors, line or check airmen is on the seniority list. It's my understanding that MDA never advertised those jobs to APL pilots. They simply hired their cronies, and sadly, the mainline pilots who set MDA up were fine with it. So much for the guys and gals who have decades of experience. I think that the least they could have done was offer the jobs to them.

Now the sim operators and check people will owe management one... big time.

I'd hate to get on their bad side. :down:
I don't know where you guys are getting your information from. I am starting MidAtlantic Line Check Airman training on the 17th and I have been furloughed from mainline since Feb. Everyone in my MDA check airman class is from the furloughed seniority list (APL).

The MDA Check Airman and Line Check Airman postions were advertised / posted quite some time ago. MANY of the Check Airman (Simulator) positions went to some junior APL people, however they were more qualified for the job than others.

There is no conspiracy or cronyism that I am aware of.

As an asside, the first of MANY MidAtlantic Line Pilot classes will start 11/20. RIDC is calling APL pilots to fill these classes NOW. There will be three classes of (10) pilots every month for the next few years. If you are in the upper part of the APL do the math and be ready to decide what you want to do when they do call. You will probably have just over two weeks notice (hopefully more) when they do call.

Black Ops: I along w/ Kubotapilot must disagree w/ your conspiracy theories. My (albeit limited) knowledge of MDA check airman does NOT support your accusations. A good friend of mine is an MDA check airman; a guy w/ 16 mainline years, 5 or so as a 737 sim instructor; and a dozen years as a KC-135 instructor in the Air Force/Guard. More than qualified for the position w/ no "Bootlicking" required. As for Kubotapilot, might I applaud what I find the most entertaining log in name on the forum; go big orange! Can you confirm that the latest MDA mngt is telling you guys 30 pilots a month for 24 months? Have you any feeling for how many APL's are planning on accepting either seat offers? Are guys anxiously awaiting offers or are many going to jump ship/wait for mainline recall instead etc? Just trying to get an overall feeling of senior APL intentions if you have any insight from what you've heard from your "Buddies" (no bootlicking or conspriracy intended). Thanx. ;)

TwiceBaked-
No, I did not apply but certainly would have had I seen any info about it. One friend of mine was told they were ineligible as a furloughee. Another friend (also furloughed) who works for an Express now faxed a resume for an instructing position and never heard anything. What bothers me is whether or not those positions on the mainline seniority list are being held while they are working for MDA? Its one thing if they are just using the same team of instructors/sups from ML, but if there are seperate teams for MDA (which I'm sure there is at our wasteful company), I would just think they would offer these jobs to qualified furloughees. I'm not bashing anyone, I just dont understand how this company that will supposedly employ thousands of laid off workers (in fact, nearly half of the flight attendant workforce) can't use some of them to start it up.

To All:

Regardless of how the MDA instructor / check pilots got there, the major concern for any union member in this organization is the fact that non-seniority list pilots will have jobs at MDA. Personally, I'm not comfortable with that.

With no contract and mouths to feed, I think it creates a serious potential conflict of interest.

I find it impossible to believe that over 1700 people were informed of training / checking postions at MDA for decent money, and they had to resort to hiring junior furloughees to fill the slots. That just doesn't make sense.

Read 14 CFR 121 for the requirements for management positions for certificate holders. The gentlemen I interviewed with at MDA were previous check airmen, instructors and cheif pilots for 121 WO and other commuters.

Any of the 'senior' furloughees would not meet the regulatory requirements for the job without an FAA waiver. Since you sound senior enough to be a CA for MDA, maybe you should apply yourself towards those jobs once you meet the requirements.

There are much bigger fish to fry at MDA than who happens to be your simulator check pilot. Starting with longevity credit, for one. I am sure you could think of a few more.

Cheers.

Blackops -

I find it impossible to believe that over 1700 people were informed of training / checking postions at MDA for decent money, and they had to resort to hiring junior furloughees to fill the slots. That just doesn't make sense.

The Check Airman positions were posted via the ALPA webboard and furlough administrator well before interviews began. Again, I have no idea where you are getting your info. from regarding non-seniority list pilots working at MDA.

Flynomore is correct, you must have met minimum qualifications to be considered for a check airman position.

100above -

Can you confirm that the latest MDA mngt is telling you guys 30 pilots a month for 24 months? Have you any feeling for how many APL's are planning on accepting either seat offers? Are guys anxiously awaiting offers or are many going to jump ship/wait for mainline recall instead etc?

I received the information regarding "30 pilots per month for the next couple of years" in writing with my offer of employment package. I have no idea how many APL pilots will accept the offers or pass. All I do know is RIDC is now actively calling APL pilots for regular line pilot postions at MidAtlantic.

Thanks for the 'Bota complement. I think I have logged more tractor seat time in the last six months than my flight time :)

Latest posts