Mda To Call Wholly Owned Pilots

kiloromeo,
Good question... did all of them pass? Are they just waiting for mainline recall like flight attendants can do? :unsure:

As I understand it, they have been through all the furloughed pilots (1600 and some as of last count) for the F/O seat at MAA, not for the Capt seat.

Jim

Hula Girl said:
Well, if it is the end of the regional airline, Piedmont, then the name is open. Why not call usair 'Piedmont'? People still remember how good Piedmont was and a name change wouldn't hurt.
It's been too long a time. The Winston-Salem Piedmont was really hitting its stride with name recognition when Colodny and crew pulled the plug on the name. The traveling public has too short a memory to cash in on the Piedmont name anymore. Certainly the folks in the Carolinas still remember it fondly, but get much beyondthose borders and Piedmont would be seen as another unknown, upstart airline.

Same thing with the PSA smiles and strictly west coast recognition.

Rico said:
As for the future of ALG/PDT, they plan to hire 28 new pilots a month right now, and the oldest of the Dash-8/100's will still continue to be phased out. The dashes still produce a profit for US, so look for the DHC-8's to remain for the time being.
That would be good news!

mweiss said:
Nothing. The words can also be interpreted to mean pilots that are wholly-owned by the airline. For the humor impaired, it was a joke. Sorry it didn't come across... :(
fair enough, just making sure,
i know how much disdain there generally is for the wo's pilots by many of the few mainline pilots that are even aware we're all part of the same company

as for the pay rates, it would actually be a step up for me, and many of my fellow semijunior brethren(sp?) :shock:

but personally, i would rather not have to go through the whole indoc/training/ioe, bottom of the list malarkey again, at least at another airline, not to mention the whole commuting nightmare :down:

I wouldn't doubt if they are hiring street FOs at MDA pretty soon. I work at PSA right now and I won't switch to MDA until I can hold captain. First year FO pay at MDA comes out to about $20,000 a year. Plus, I would go to the bottom of the MDA seniority list. I bet the only WO guys that take this are junior FOs. Junior FOs wouldn't be taking a paycut or losing much in seniority if they switch to MDA.

Very true bluestreak, I am at PDT and wont touch mda until Jet Blue gets there 190's. Then go to MDA and try to get on JB with the 170 on resume.. its a gamble, but with US Airways everything is...

Bluestreak,

I belive that WO pilots carry their longevity for pay and benefits to MAA. So, no there would not be a pay cut. You would just have to endure being an FO for a while longer, whereas at PSA you'll probably upgrade quicker.

Yup...

I just put my bid in for MDA. According to the info I was given by the union and the company, I will be recieving pay in accordance with my longevity. This goes for WO pilots occupying either seat.

Can you really make the same money at Mid Atlantic compared to Piedmont? Right now I average 94 Block hours and 120 Pay Credit Hours a month. Something tells me that MAA won't be handing out 120 hour paychecks.

I think you are probably right about not being able to make 120 hours of pay at MDA, at least initially. I think that the decision to bid MDA is a complex personal one for every WO pilot. You have to weigh all of the pros and cons.

For me, I would rather be making about the same money (on a per month basis) flying a 70 seat jet and getting time that might be more attractive to future employers. Going to another regional to get jet time is out of the question for me. In additon, IF U group does a swan dive, MDA is one of the assets most likely to be bought by another carrier. As for Piedmont? Well, you know...

Besides, it is almost a risk free proposition, in that if I get furloughed at MDA I flush back to the WO at my original DOH. So why not? With upgrades at PDT delayed indefinately I might as well go fly a bigger airplane.

Just one guy's opinion.

hate to break it to u windsock, but...

First off, no flush back to ALG/PDT/PSA, u leave, u leave. take another look at what has been given to us in info. NOTHING says anything about going back if needed.

They instead make it clear that you will be MDA, and NO longer ALG.

Another thing, Captain positions will be a long time in coming at MDA, so if u go over, u better expect and be ready for F/O pay, that tops out at 8 yr pay

There are few to no guarentees with this MDA offer, if anything is is a big risk to take at this point. If Mainline fuloughs, they come down on top of you, If financing dries up further, then you might be stuck right seat (and right seat pay) for sometime, and many of the details of how this will all work out have yet to be determined.

This deal is best for those pilots who are NOT risk adverse, willing to sit right seat, and willing to take a big chance. Most of the senior pilots here at ALG have been selecting "Captain Only" limiting their exposure greatly.

This could work out great, or fall apart, so most are waiting until they can hold a captain position, and would at least get a type out of training (FO's will no longer per MDA CH. Pilot F. Blazina), and at least come close to what they were making at ALG/PDT

All that is really known at this point is that the website to solicit bids is up and running. They are looking for a class of 12 E-170 F/O's stating the first week of July, and the same amount each week thereafte 48 pilots in July)

Soooo. Think long and hard, and either take a leap of faith, or wait and see like the majority. The one thing that is useful wight now is you can change your bid as often as u like. But once you jump off the diving board, you are on your way to MDA with no return.