MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE

Phoenix

Veteran
Apr 16, 2003
Visit site
MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE
May 25, 2007

This is MEC Chairman Jack Stephan with a Chairman’s message to the pilots for Friday, May 25, 2007.

On behalf of the entire US Airways MEC I want to update you on recent action by ALPA’s Executive Council.

Late last night ALPA's Executive Council took action concerning the Nicolau arbitration award. Shortly, we will post on our website the resolution passed by the Executive Council and the letter Captain Prater sent to me and AWA MEC Chairman John McIlvenna.

These documents lay the foundation for seeking to right the injustices of this egregious award. The resolution states that the Executive Council is acutely aware of the negative consequences that may result if the MECs fail to come together to explore consensual approaches that promote career protection and mutual success…..

Additionally it goes on to direct ALPA President, Captain John Prater to continue to employ all of the resources of the Association to assist the MECs in achieving these goals.

Make no mistake; although many people worked tirelessly for this outcome, it would not have occurred absent the show of resolve demonstrated by the over 400 US Airways pilots who made the effort to go to ALPA headquarters in Herndon on May 21. Your participation, whether in person at Herndon last Monday or taking the time to express your concerns to your union leadership, clearly provided a poignant reminder that the pilots of US Airways cannot be left behind in ALPA’s efforts to take this union back.

While our request to have the award voided was not directly addressed at this time, we are nonetheless encouraged that the Executive Council has taken ownership of the issue as we advocated in our presentation as well as the direction that they have laid out for us. We will be providing you more information on the process before us after I have spoken with Captain Prater regarding his specific request for information and/or action.

Your solidarity in letting your views be known provided the wherewithal to convince the Executive Council that they could not remain silent on the issue before us. Your continued solidarity in that manner will be instrumental as we move forward as a union to effectively address the ramifications of the Nicolau award. Rest assured that your MEC continues to remain solely focused on exhausting every means available to represent the US Airways pilots.

Thank you for your support during this difficult time. And as always, fly safe and thanks for listening.

You guys need to seriously think about what your Chairman is setting you guys/gals up for again...another big disappointment. The EC Resolution is intended to encourage the MECs, repeat, THE MECs, to try and resolve the issue. For your Chairman to continue delivering bogus propaganda is unconscionable and further escalates the situation. What he should be doing is trying to mend fences (no pun intended) with the West MEC, and he could start by showing some good faith. Calling off the JNC from talks next week with the west is not they way to do it.

To get the dialogue going will require the East to show a gesture of good faith to end the standoff. There is absolutely no reason for West to trust the East with anything if this does not happen.

While our request to have the award voided was not directly addressed at this time, we are nonetheless encouraged that the Executive Council has taken ownership of the issue as we advocated in our presentation as well as the direction that they have laid out for us. We will be providing you more information on the process before us after I have spoken with Captain Prater regarding his specific request for information and/or action.

Late last night ALPA's Executive Council took action concerning the Nicolau arbitration award. Shortly, we will post on our website the resolution passed by the Executive Council and the letter Captain Prater sent to me and AWA MEC Chairman John McIlvenna.

Yeah they decided to circle the wagons to save ALPA and it appears they got Jack on the inside of the circle of friends. ALPA Didn't add anything new to the situation, or make any decisions, or acknowledge any responsibility, or authority to address the problem.

... The resolution states that the Executive Council is acutely aware of the negative consequences that may result if the MECs fail to come together to explore consensual approaches that promote career protection and mutual success.

ALPA national broadcast that they will wring their hands as they bide their time of empathy with you and then they will wash their hands clean when they perceive that there is not enough rage left to decertify .

Thank you for your support during this difficult time. And as always, fly safe and thanks for listening.

WHY IS THIS PARAGRAPH MISSING FROM THE UPDATE?

Please remember we still have 1,469 pilots on furlough, 276 pilots have been recalled and on May 14th, the most junior seniority number was 4,437 with a seniority date of October 25, 1999.

ALPA national broadcast that they will wring their hands as they bide their time of empathy with you and then they will wash their hands clean when they perceive that there is not enough rage left to decertify .

I agree completely.

Decertify NOW! :up:

You guys need to seriously think about what your Chairman is setting you guys/gals up for again...another big disappointment. The EC Resolution is intended to encourage the MECs, repeat, THE MECs, to try and resolve the issue. For your Chairman to continue delivering bogus propaganda is unconscionable and further escalates the situation. What he should be doing is trying to mend fences (no pun intended) with the West MEC, and he could start by showing some good faith. Calling off the JNC from talks next week with the west is not they way to do it.

To get the dialogue going will require the East to show a gesture of good faith to end the standoff. There is absolutely no reason for West to trust the East with anything if this does not happen.

Yea, you've got a good point. I should simply accept the "staple job" and ignore Jack. What the hay, what's eighteen years with this company amongst friends anyhow. Besides, I too am here to save Dave, and am willing to take yet another furlough just to prove it.

Or could it be I'm just a hot head that can't get over it?

What would jesus do?!?! ;)

Yea, you've got a good point. I should simply accept the "staple job" and ignore Jack. What the hay, what's eighteen years with this company amongst friends anyhow. Besides, I too am here to save Dave, and am willing to take yet another furlough just to prove it.
I hate to bring this up, but I don't hear anything coming out of the vocal east F/O's (anarchists) that sounds like they're looking out for the furloughees. They seem to be fixated on their entitlement to all of the attrition and future growth upgrades at the expense of all the west pilots. The furloughees are no more than an afterthought. If you offered anything they could use to further their cause, I'm sure they would shmooze you, but since you don't, they won't.

I hate to bring this up, but I don't hear anything coming out of the vocal east F/O's (anarchists) that sounds like they're looking out for the furloughees. They seem to be fixated on their entitlement to all of the attrition and future growth upgrades at the expense of all the west pilots. The furloughees are no more than an afterthought. If you offered anything they could use to further their cause, I'm sure they would shmooze you, but since you don't, they won't.

Now you're hearing one...although not an FO. Neither myself, nor anyone I've recently talked to is buying off on this BS at any point. Nice try though :lol:

"If you offered anything they could use to further their cause, I'm sure they would shmooze you, but since you don't, they won't." I believe that your statement says more about how you think then it does the actual case with the sentiments out east.

Doesn't seem like you hate bringing it up at all. But you are right. AAA pilots have never looked out for us (junior guys). Interesting they need our shoulders to stand on now. But that doesn't, in itself, change the fact that we in fact-have seniority.

As for the "expense" the west must pay-as you advance, hey-you guys got into bed with us-remember? You assumed that was for free-casting aside the fact that AWA got into the most lucrative market in the USA by virtue of the merger. Well sonny boy, my hardships are apart of this equation, like it or not. As the seniority system is predicated upon DOH, not relative position.

The gapping hole in the "relative position" argument is that it ignores the trials and tribulations that occur during an airline pilots career. I understand, your junior are looking for a free pass in this area. But everyone else in our union understands that seniority is earned, not granted.

Don't get me wrong, I would love every pilot in this process to win, and win big. I'd love for DP to be my hero. But the reality is that this isn't Alice in Wonderland. Pilots, much like yourself have earned. You simply cannot cast away the premise of the seniority system and achieve success in this business.

If we can all embrace this long standing concept, Dave will be just fine. He will do his time just as the rest of us has. But should we introduce a hoky system as the Nicolau Award has suggested- it simply would not, and should not work.

Us old farts will be out of your way quicker than they have been in my way, and the rest will advance as they should. Only...if we build this combined airline correctly. I know that many consider the NWA/Republic scenario as an option, well it's not for us. They had the benefit of some very lucrative markets overseas that we simply do not enjoy. We are, by most accounts, a domestic carrier heavily dependent upon the health of the Northeast economy. We need to be efficient, passionate about operations, cost, and customer service.

I wish I had the agreement in mind that would give everyone a soft landing throughout this process. But I don't. My impression here in the east is that we have to respect the years our pilots have earned. We would prefer to do that without hurting pilots in the west. But in the end, we did not create the seniority system. In fact, it would have been down right useful to many of us to make a lateral move in this business. But since this profession doesn't allow for that, I cannot accept giving away what I have endured, look my wife and kids in the face, and except the proposed change in policy.

DOH is the answer boys and girls. Fence each other out if it helps, but DOH is where it's at. This will award those long tenured pilots at AWA to progress, as they should. And put the rest of us all in line to receive what we have all earned, in turn.

Best,

I think the list should be done by faith... no, hair color... no, shoe size. Yeah, that's the ticket. Big feet are junior.

Let me ask the question: How is keeping what each of us has earned a "windfall"?
It's not.

Before the merger, you had earned a relatively low spot on the U seniority list.

After the merger, you have earned a relatively low spot on the combined seniority list.

On the other hand, going from a relatively low spot on the U list to a relatively high spot on the combined list would be a windfall.

Before the merger, you had earned a relatively low spot on the U seniority list.

After the merger, you have earned a relatively low spot on the combined seniority list.

On the other hand, going from a relatively low spot on the U list to a relatively high spot on the combined list would be a windfall.

he is right. Sorry, but your time on the USAir list did not earn you very much. DOH of hire should never be an issue.

However, I do think the USAir pilots were treated unfairly. Be it at age 60 or 65, there was coming a time when the USAir pilots were going to move up very quickly. That was your career expectation. I don't think the DOH argument works or is ever fair. But I do think there should be some mechanism to account for the large number of retirements on the east side.