Mechanics, AMFA, and the IAM

1AA

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
It's all about proper representation in a CLASS & CRAFT union. Money is not everything. Ever here of SCOPE? That saves and protects jobs for the long run. Also with the AMFA they do nothing in secrecy when it comes to contract negotiations. Those are the main reasons. Industrial unions like the IAM and TWU only care about dues money. It is a proven fact. Care to dissagree?

The amfa representation leaning seems to be strong with Ual mechanics.
I guess my question would be why?
I have been to their website and looked at wage comparisons. From what I see, there is nothing outstanding about them. Here is the link:
http://www.amfanow.org/AMT-Wage_Scales.htm
I guess there must be something I don''t see here to make mechanics want to change.
Would Ual mechanics post what they are, and also post your sentiments about whether you do or do not support wage concessions, or work rule changes to assist the rest of the coalition in keeping Ual out of bankruptcy.
I will state for the record I think keeping the airline out of bankruptcy is the number 1 priority.
We are making 2002 wages on 1994 or before fares.
Loses last quarter averaged 10 million a day.
BK offers the worse choice for us. Concessions offer the best chance to work out management and union problems.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

AMFA isn't the fix all for mechanics. Remember the IAM did not negotiate our wages. AMFA with NWA raised the stakes and the PEB held United to their promise. Like 1AA said it's not all about money. Open negotiations mean a lot to me. For two years we sat in the dark with updates like We met with the company today and plan to met next week for more talks. That was about the best info we got. Although the IAM separated us from the ramp we are still connected. I have no proof of this but I think Steven Wolf once said he didn't mind paying the mechanics. Also someone asked me what is an acceptable wage for a mechanic. A mechanic is trained to keep the aircraft safe and airworthy and demands a hire wage than the person that throws bags, cleans, or even cleans restrooms. Whether the present wage is acceptable many would argue this. Should the person throwing bags on a plane make $25 an hour? That could be questioned more than a mechanics wages. The D-141 is still hanging on the shirttails of the D-141M. The IAM will always say there is strength in numbers. I would take my chance with a separate Class & Craft union.

I do believe that any filing by AMFA at this time could hurt UA. This time they need to wait till this mess is over. Any change in union would just hurt the company or worse help drive them into BK. I would rather AMFA lead us out of a concessionary contract in the future than the IAM. The IAM only knows concessions.

Once again. AMFA isn't the fix all. I believe that some language changes are due and the IAM just doesn't listen to us.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/19/2002 8:37:25 AM 1AA wrote:

It's all about proper representation in a CLASS & CRAFT union. Money is not everything. Ever here of SCOPE? That saves and protects jobs for the long run. Also with the AMFA they do nothing in secrecy when it comes to contract negotiations. Those are the main reasons. Industrial unions like the IAM and TWU only care about dues money. It is a proven fact. Care to dissagree?
----------------
[/blockquote]
I won't disagree with you, but I will ask you why Amfa dues would be so high. They don't seem to have as much cost associated with them as the IAM does. Maybe I am wrong. Here is their dues structure.

Dues
AMFA dues are two times your base rate of pay, excluding differentials and premiums. For example, if your base pay is $20 per hour, your monthly dues are $40. Dues include representation by a lawyer for a member in arbitration and before the FAA. AMFA also has a $500 fine protection program to offset the cost of a fine.

Don't be fooled into thinking that giving concessions is going to keep UAL out of bankruptcy.We got both ends of the stick here at US.Now the rumors are running rampant that they want more.As for AMFA I totatly agree with you guys.The goal of the IAM is to pay unskilled labor at skilled labor rates.Of course this is at the expense of the truly skilled.

Continental just raised their mechanics pay to $33/hr.....
NorthWest has been at $34/hr for a couple of years now....
American mechanics are at roughly $34/hr....
Delta mechanics I believe are over $35/hr....
SouthWest just ratified $37/hr....
UPS ratified $43/hr....
FedEX is paying $37/hr....
United mechanic currently $35/hr....

Many of these have been just recently ratified....EVEN IN THESE TRYING TIMES... should say something....

Continental 777 captain...bottom of the barrel...$200k/yr and works more hours
United 777 captain....almost $300k/yr

I think we can see the disparity clearly here...oh I forgot...I'm just bashing pilots again....sorry

Ah 757fixer…. you’re being “elitistâ€￾ “arrogantâ€￾ and “self-centeredâ€￾…. why you are just an overpaid oil changer haven’t you heard. Just ask everybody, since they know so much more about everything. How dare you even raise your voice and utter a single word…you…you…I can’t even stand to say the word…â€￾mechanicâ€￾

atabuy - it's this simple: the IAM blows, they really do. Look at the leaders - not hungry are they? or maybe they're just trying to smuggle a few watermelons out of the convention.

The appeal of AMFA is that they represent only Mechanics, although we have cleaners and fuelers attached to our class and craft for some strange reason thanks to the NMB (government). So what's the strange reason? Well, they have to have those people attached to our class so that they can get the vote for.....

Concessions? Ha, this is nothing new. Pick up a newspaper from 1991 and start reading. All you'd have to do is change the names of a few CEO's and the story would fit today's headlines perfectly. You wouldn't even know.

[blockquote]
----------------
Continental just raised their mechanics pay to $33/hr.....
NorthWest has been at $34/hr for a couple of years now....
American mechanics are at roughly $34/hr....
Delta mechanics I believe are over $35/hr....
SouthWest just ratified $37/hr....
UPS ratified $43/hr....
FedEX is paying $37/hr....
United mechanic currently $35/hr....

----------------
[/blockquote]

Were not even at industry leading any more. The company will tell the IAM that they can't afford us. Looks like they can't afford any mechanics in this industry.

. Should the person throwing bags on a plane make $25 an hour?

Actually, that is exactly what a WN ramper tops out at.

Guys, management loves the internicine squabbling amongst its labor groups - divide and conquer.

Regarding open negotiations, you're absolutely right. Let's add open elections to the list, instead of the slate BS we just went through.

atabuy,

The IAM never tells it's members nothing. All they care about is how many dues they can collect.The mechanic's are tired of their lies and ready to vote them out at ual and usair.The mechanic's deserve every penny they make.It's their name in the logbook that holds them accountable.The IAM does not give a rats ass about them. That is going to change at ual and usair.Out with the IAM and in with AMFA.