Mechanics Fable

mastermechanic

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
My fellow mechanics…when you are old maybe you’ll tell your grandkids a story much like this:
Once upon a time, actually every 8 yrs or so, a dysfunctional airline, lets call it United, was on it’s last legs. Going out of business, dying on the vine…you get the idea. When all of a sudden, a new corporate man appeared full of vision. The unions embraced him, the company needed him, and the employee’s held their breath. Yes, he got what he needed, for the unions gave him tons of their memberships money in wage and benefits, in exchange, the unions could continue to take their share. The stock went through the roof and the shareholders were happy, they all got their share. And low and behold, there was so much money, that management could give themselves all big bonuses, and salary raises too. Now the pilots huffed and puffed and demanded their share. And could you believe, they took what was left. When it came time for the mechanic, the cupboard was bare. Time was not on his side, for the cycle had peaked and ebbed, so all he could get was a restraining order instead. Finally he was paid, and happy to boot, just to be told, “I’m sorry, there is no more loot”. So the corporate man left, with the unions so inept, and again all the mechanic could see…..was just another airline bankruptcy…
[:bigsmile:]

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!![:((] [:((] [:((]

Take your sob story elsewhere. People like you find negativity in everything you touch, and only bring the rest of us down with you. Why don't you just crawl back under a rock amd cry yourself to sleep... QUIETLY PLEASE... The rest of us are trying to save a great airline![:)]

Mastermech-you've been peekin' at US message boards again....UA is on first while US is heading home...but maybe tagged out...[:blackeye:]

BTW...while you pilots are being so magnanimous, could you please absorb my paycut so I DON'T HAVE TO SAVE YOUR AIRLINE...it's so hard to watch you guys walk by and not beat the living crap outta you guys...

hey 767...just open you mouth and say it isn't so...PLEASE TELL ME I GOT IT WRONG and I'll crawl under my rock, save a great airline...you pilots say I"M THE BLOWHARD...start looking in the mirror

Moderator's note: mastermechanic, if you disagree with someone, do it in a respectful manner that is mindful of the rules you agreed to when you signed up for this board.

Ok, everyone, keep the personal attacks out of your posts. We realize that emotions are running high these days, but the rules of this board must be adhered to at ALL times.

Mastermechanic,

I'm just as pissed as you. You can't blame the pilots for everything. They have a real union. The IAM & UAL screwed us. They did a better job negotiating. We make industry-leading wages for now. I'm with you on voting no to concessions. Any package that I would consider will never happen. The airline industry is like a roller coaster and you just have to hang on for the ride. I'm not taking sides here I just don't thing that the pilots are to blame for our problems.

These boards are a good place to blow off some steam. It's a good idea to have all the facts first. I goof all the time. Show me the facts that the pilots destroyed UAL and I'll help you beat them into the ground. It all comes back to the fact that they have a real union. Sept 11 along with economy, Goodwin, Dutta and gang did the damage. I'm not happy about bailing them out. What ever they throw in front of us doesn’t need to attack our medical or vacation.

----------------
On 9/3/2002 11:15:54 AM

Mastermechanic,

I'm just as pissed as you. You can't blame the pilots for everything. They have a real union. The IAM & UAL screwed us. They did a better job negotiating. We make industry-leading wages for now. I'm with you on voting no to concessions. Any package that I would consider will never happen. The airline industry is like a roller coaster and you just have to hang on for the ride. I'm not taking sides here I just don't thing that the pilots are to blame for our problems.

These boards are a good place to blow off some steam. It's a good idea to have all the facts first. I goof all the time. Show me the facts that the pilots destroyed UAL and I'll help you beat them into the ground. It all comes back to the fact that they have a real union. Sept 11 along with economy, Goodwin, Dutta and gang did the damage. I'm not happy about bailing them out. What ever they throw in front of us doesn’t need to attack our medical or vacation.

----------------
I have to disagree a little on the real union thing...because this company, and every employee in it, IS paying for this real union. The summer of 2000 is a folly between the pilots and our mis-management. It was also the beginning of the end for UAL. My little fable is pretty close to the mark on what happened here and we all know it. Industry leading pay doesn't mean squat to me either...heck, I just want to be competitive with other "mechanical/technician" fields. That had been long, long overdue. You and I know what is going on in these planes. Even the 777 pilots tell me they don't really like the plane because they don't fly it. A/P will handle everything except take-off; FMC handles all navigation and flight envelopes. Yes, I know there's more to it than that, but besides a little FL change or course deviation due to a storm, if you can program a DVD player, you can fly a 777. But now working on them is great, and a pain in the butt. I could monitor every LRU and circuit on it...if I could get the codes that Boeing says is proprietary information. The entertainment system never has worked right since day one, and I can't get any parts. Precoolers cracking out, heat exchangers cracking out, station 246 cracking out, slats misrigged from Boeing and delaming, Boeing rigs flaperon their way, but tells us in the MM to do it another, and they don't match. And to top it off, ANYONE EVER USE THE ONLINE IPC FOR SOFTWARE EFFECTIVITY!!! Our 777 fleet engineers all know my by name, and break out the excedrin when they see me coming, cause I ask all those darn questions...lol....so I vent a little here, no big deal...lol, have a good one...
AMFA all the way [:bigsmile:]

----------------
On 9/3/2002 11:36:23 AM

Ok, everyone, keep the personal attacks out of your posts. We realize that emotions are running high these days, but the rules of this board must be adhered to at ALL times.
----------------

I apologize for not adhearing to the rules I agreed to. It was disrespectful to the people who utilize this board, and I am sorry.

BTW...if you go to graciefighter.com you'll find me demonstrating a position reversal followed by a inside out heel hook, properly applied it will break/tear the knee out. I still compete in this stuff, even at 38. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'm sure alot of guys now know who mastermechanic is. If not, if you see a mechanic with a little shiner, it's probably me. I still DO love to hit people...just kidding moderator...I only do it in the ring[:bigsmile:]

Take a bow, spacewaitress. You were right all along. Ok....now that we've gotten that out of the way, are we any closer to fixing what's wrong? No.

My point is why are some people still pointing fingers at others and dredging up the problems of the past? It doesn't change one thing about our current circumstances. Like it or not, cuts are coming for all of us.

mastermechanic,

I still have to disagree with you a little. They got away with summer 2000 because they could. We got the TRO to stop what they called job actions. I think we were the first to get a TRO. I might be wrong. The IAM just didn't want to spend the money on lawyers to fight it. It's funny how when you work to the rules you get walked. If you make a mistake and didn't work to the rules you will be walked. No win situation.

Yes 777flyer…the cuts are coming. Just try to assuage our feelings a little, though this may be crude…it helps to say you love me when you are trying to screw me…O.K.