Mechanics' Strike Could Shut Down Us Airways

wts54

Senior
Sep 16, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Mechanics' Strike Could Shut Down US Airways
Union Angered By Possible Outsourcing

POSTED: 5:07 p.m. EDT September 3, 2003

PITTSBURGH -- With US Airways already on shaky ground in Pittsburgh, Action News has learned that a strike is being discussed if local mechanic work goes out of state.

WTAE's Sheldon Ingram reports that the airline is strongly considering sending heavy maintenance work for its Airbus fleet to an outside source, instead of having the work done locally. The International Association of Machinists said such a move would force them to walk out, which would eventually shut down the carrier.

"A major dispute means it would be a major violation of the contract under the Railroad Labor Act," said IAM Local 1976 president Frank Schifano. "That means we would be able to strike immediately."

Just a few years ago, there was much talk of building a maintenance facility to hold US Airways' new fleet of 164 Airbus aircraft at Pittsburgh International Airport. But there has been no sign that such a facility will be built.

US Airways told Action News that it must consider outsourcing mechanical work for the Airbus fleet because it is still recovering from Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The company said it must determine whether buying hardware, training employees and buying a new maintenance facility is cheaper than outsourcing to a third party.

"We believe it is not a violation of any contractual obligation with the IAM," US Airways spokesperson Dave Castelveter said. "It is not work that is currently being done by US Airways employees, nor would it affect the staffing level of employees."

Machinists have a different take on the situation.

"That work is exclusively ours and we intend to do that work in-house," said Schifano. "Our vice president has written a letter to (US Airways president and CEO David) Siegel and told him in no uncertain terms that if the work is outsourced, that would be a major dispute."

Almost half of US Airways' 4,500 machinists work in the Pittsburgh region.

"They're trying to steal from us, and that's not going to happen," Schifano said. "It would be a devasting blow to everybody, including us. We don't want to see corporate greed take our jobs."

US Airways wants to settle the dispute with an arbitrator, but the union does not. Both sides must go to court to see if the matter will go to an arbitrator.
Copyright 2003 by ThePittsburghChannel. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"With US Airways already on shaky ground in Pittsburgh, Action News has learned that a strike is being discussed if local mechanic work goes out of state. "

So, if the work goes to Philly, it's OK. If it goes to Charlotte, it's not?

It seems like the issue is going before the court/arbitrator. Is there any recourse for the mtc group if they rule in the company's favor? It seems like the court would make a decision on the 'major dispute' issue claimed by the mtc dept.

No the work is either gonna be done in CLT or PIT or a combination, read the following and you will understand it better:

May 30, 2003

TO: US AIRWAYS MEMBERSHIP AFFILIATED WITH DISTRICT 141-M

Dear Sisters and Brothers:

District Lodge 141-M has informed US Airways CEO, David Siegel, that there will be NO outsourcing of heavy maintenance.

Our US Airways Scope Clause does not provide the latitude for any such work to be sent to any outside vendor.

Indeed, during months of discussions leading to the concessionary agreement with District 141-M members, not once did US Airways negotiators discuss any changes to our contract that would allow any such outsourcing.

If any attempt is made to OSV heavy maintenance work US Airways will find themselves in the fight of their lives.

US Airways should not believe their labor unions and our memberships’ cooperation and loyalty during the bankruptcy and recovery was a sign of weakness.

What that cooperation and loyalty showed is that our membership is much better at making decisions than many of those residing in “Ivory Towersâ€.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Scotty Ford
President & Directing General Chairman

8/4/2003

Dear Sisters and Brothers:

Their were pictures of Airbus aircraft taken in Florida and Arizona being sent around the property by someone alleging that C checks were being accomplished on them. The facts are that during bankruptcy the company tried to negotiate lower lease rates for all their aircraft. There were a few lesser that would not lower their rates so the company returned those aircraft.

The Airbus tail numbers that were returned were A320 A/C 101, A319 A/C 706. 707, 726, 728, and 729. We have the strongest scope language in the industry and we have already won grievances when the company sent aircraft to the desert , removed them from their operating certificate and had work done on them then brought them back into service.

Even though we have the strongest scope language in the industry and have been doing heavy maintenance on every aircraft we ever operated for Fifty years. We are now working for the biggest group of thieves I have seen in 35 years, and if they try to steal our work we may not be able to put them in jail, but I can assure you we will put them beside us in the unemployment line.

Sincerely and fraternally:

William Freiberger
General Chairman
District141-M IAMAW

CO – US Airways DL 141-M
August 4, 2003

Via Facsimile & U. S. Mail
Mr. David N. Siegel
President & C.E.O
US Airways, Inc.

Dear Mr. Siegel:

There have been recent reports that Senior Executives of US Airways have been traveling the country, advising our members of US Airways’ position concerning the maintenance of the Airbus aircraft.

This letter is to confirm the IAM’s official position on subcontracting heavy maintenance of the Airbus aircraft. Any attempt to subcontract this work, which falls under the jurisdiction of the IAM-US Airways Agreement, shall be considered a major dispute under the Railway Labor Act. The IAM will take whatever measures are necessary to protect any and all work that should be performed by IAM-represented mechanics at US Airways. As a major dispute, this will include, but is not limited to, seeking a Temporary Restraining Order, injunctive relief, withdrawing our services as provided by law, and/or whatever other legal action may be necessary.

I strongly recommend that, in order to avoid demoralization of our members and your employees, your management personnel cease and desist from any further discussions related to the farm-out of work that clearly falls under the jurisdiction of the IAM.

I must reiterate to you that any attempt to usurp the boundaries of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, as envisioned by the negotiators, will be met with an opposite and equal legal reaction.

Sincerely,

Robert Roach, Jr.
GENERAL VICE PRESIDENT

August 28, 2003

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

Working through the US Airways Labor Coalition, your Union leadership has been in contact with the AFL-CIO affiliated Unions representing US Airways’ Pilots, the Air Line Pilots Association, Dispatchers, and the Transport Workers Union regarding the company’s threat to farm-out heavy maintenance checks on Airbus aircraft.

Both the Dispatchers and Pilots have agreed to notify the IAM if a US Airways’ Airbus aircraft is scheduled to fly to any maintenance center not staffed by IAM-represented US Airways’ employees.

This early notification will allow the Machinists Union to prepare an appropriate response to what would be considered a major dispute under the Railway Labor Act.

Your continued support and solidarity is essential as we prepare to take whatever measures are necessary to protect any and all work that should be performed by IAM-represented employees at US Airways.

We will keep you advised of any developments as they occur.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Scotty Ford
President/General Chairman
District 141-M

Hope this helps!

While I cannot speak for all the pilots of this airline I feel reasonably certain that the vast majority of ALPA member at U will support any and all action the IAM deems neccesary to stop this outsourcing. What Siegel has accomplished with his superb leadership is to bring solidarity to the labor groups of this airline. Where we were separate before, we are together now. If someone had told me just 1 year ago the pilots of this company would honor an IAM picket line I would have laughed. Now it is no joke. It has become a common cause.

This company can become profitable with the correct leader. The one we have is attempting to circumvent contractual agreements. With all labor groups. It will cease because we will force him to live within the agreements he signed. Or all hell will break loose. Stand tall on this one IAM. We are behind you.

mr

I don't want to sound mushy or anything....but.... I feel like..."God, I really need to live with this man".

Mrplanes,

You are so inspiring. I sir, applaud you.

We will support IAM as well.

"Dave is picking a fight here for a reason and the only reason I can think of that is honorable is they really truly can't afford to do it in house and his hand is forced. All of the other scenarios seem to be less honorable. Your thoughts please! "

Bob,

The question at hand is not whether U can afford to do it "in house" or not, its contractual languge that must be honored. Period.

You can cotract a builder to build you a new home, and if three months later, someone else comes in and offers to build you that home for much cheaper, and you already signed a "contract" with the first builder who went and invested in the material for the job, you can't just walk away,and say "hey, its cheaper".

The IAM along with all the labor groups gave unprecedented concessions that were asked by this mangement, what was not negotiated in the summer was TAKEN in the winter to meet those numbers the company insisted we had to meet. To the penny.

Now we travel down the road, and its still not enough. They continue to steal more cost savings that was not agreed to from the contracts, and tell us "go grieve it".

There is something extremely dishorable and egregious about a mangement who behaves in this manner. Keep in mind these guys are newly here and do not have longevity with this company.

And don't say that they "saved this company". They haven't saved a damn thing. They are still taking.

Heavy maintenance has always been done "in house" at U. Our mechanics are the BEST at their craft, and we don't have safety issues because our mechanics check and double check and triple check when these S-Checks come in before it ever goes back out.

How can the company look for cheaper (cause you can always find cheaper) and allow for something less than perfection, which is "in house".. Does this make sense to a pAX? Do you put a price on safety?

Bob the mechanic and related have given Dave and his gang of thieves around $300 million a year in concessions and thousands of jobs, if they cant operate under the current environment shut the place down or they should fire the whole management team as everyone knew the S-checks were due this October.\

THere is no room for middle ground, we have given enough and now Dave is trying to steal more, enough is enough! IT is our work and we will not give it up, because once you give it up you never see it back.

Attachments

• striking_labor_man_wm.gif
    striking_labor_man_wm.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 137
Sorry Bob. I don't agree. When it comes to maintaining planes, the mechanics track record speaks volumes. It's always been done "in house" because it is contractual. Now you either honor it, or accept any consequences that ensue.

After all these furloughs, consessions, ATSB, Stakholder investment, bail out money, and one year later, Company still can't get out of their own way...

Its curtain time.

You think Dave and his pack of thieves would have learned from the farming out of the express maintenance.2 crashes in less than 8 months is enough.To Siegel and his Harvard Business school buddies,you have screwed the mainline employees enough,I would rather see this company fold than to give in to you anymore.Why don't you take your millions and just leave?

Not to defend Dave, but niether of those crashes were US Airways planes nor maintaned by us or farmed out.

Air Midwest is owned by Mesa Airlines, flies as codeshare express partner

Colgan is a privately owned by the Colgan family flies as codeshare express partner.

Hi Gang,

I've been lurking for a long time, but finally decided to register and share a few thoughts.

Airbus HM --From my vantage point, it would appear this Airbus work is leaving in October. I would suggest all employees plan accordingly for the battle on the horizon. I absolutely believe this is clearly IAM covered work, but that literally means nothing to management, IMHO. I anticipate the work going to Alabama (what a coincedence), and being tied up in the courts. It's going to be a cold, cold winter. Plan for this disruption and turmoil now. Don't let it be a surprise. The IAM / AMFA battle is a classic case of bad timing. The management team loves this kind of infighting. It's time to pull together. The devil you know is often better than the one you don't.

Morale -- Every time you think it can't go lower, BAM they hit you again. Folks, there comes a point where it just isn't worth the aggravation, and thats part of the plan also. Drive the senior, well paid, full time people away, abuse of termination provisions and the various labor contracts. Look into your options, even if the pay is less, life is too short to be this stressed out all the time. This is all being done by design, and there is a very real game plan being carried out. The employees are the expendable pawns, nothing more.

I feel like I know some of you folks from reading your posts for such a long time. Pitbull, I admire your fervor and integrity. I don't agree with some of your emotional posts, but I can definitely understand where you are coming from. What a tiger! I'd buy you a drink, dinner, anytime.

Piney Bob, you are definitely an interesting guy, keen mind, but you really need to accept the fact that you, even as bright as you are... have no clue what the folks at U actually suffer through. I appreciate your respect for the employees, but your ideas often are not very realistic when applied to the U "corporate culture". I also think you over simplify people's options, many folks have deep family obligations and cannot easily quit and start over. Nevertheless, I think your heart is in the right place and I sure appreciate having customers like you. Rock on with the cockroach, dude.

Hang in there folks, if the doors shut, life WILL go on. Never fall in love with something that can't love you back... be it a car, a lifestyle, or a career. Every day above room temperature is a victory in itself, isn't it? U is not worth having a heart attack or stroke over. It's no longer a career... its just "a job", and a lot less attractive job in every aspect than it was for years.

Good luck to all the employees at U.

Latest posts