Media Day Picket a success!

Jul 18, 2010
US Airways Flight Attendants picketed in front of CHQ today sending a message that they have had enough, that 5 years of stalled contract negotiations and concessionary proposals is unacceptable. Toward the end of the picket the group moved into a public area on the east side of the building facing the open courtyard while executives and media personnel attempted to enjoy a catered lunch provided by US Airways; only to be interrupted by the demonstration of solidarity.

Tempe police were called to 111 Rio Salado Parkway due to the disruption only to be befuddled by AFA LEC Vice President Deborah Volpe as she pointed out to police officers that a city map cited that the entrance to CHQ is considered part of 2nd Street in Downtown Tempe and is not company property but public. The luncheon was then moved inside to the lobby of CHQ.

The AFA members picketing were joined by US Airways pilots to show their support as a mobile bilboard advertising the pilot debaucle circled the block that is home to US Airways CHQ.

Thanks to all that attended today and please stay informed regarding upcoming events.

Reactions: 6 people
US Airways Flight Attendants picketed in front of CHQ today sending a message that they have had enough, that 5 years of stalled contract negotiations and concessionary proposals is unacceptable. Toward the end of the picket the group moved into a public area on the east side of the building facing the open courtyard while executives and media personnel attempted to enjoy a catered lunch provided by US Airways; only to be interrupted by the demonstration of solidarity.

Tempe police were called to 111 Rio Salado Parkway due to the disruption only to be befuddled by AFA LEC Vice President Deborah Volpe as she pointed out to police officers that a city map cited that the entrance to CHQ is considered part of 2nd Street in Downtown Tempe and is not company property but public. The luncheon was then moved inside to the lobby of CHQ.

The AFA members picketing were joined by US Airways pilots to show their support as a mobile bilboard advertising the pilot debaucle circled the block that is home to US Airways CHQ.

Thanks to all that attended today and please stay informed regarding upcoming events.

Besides getting the luncheon moved inside what did you succede in doing? I do not see any major media coverage regarding the picketing. It does not sound like such a large success.

Reactions: 1 person
Besides getting the luncheon moved inside what did you succede in doing? I do not see any major media coverage regarding the picketing. It does not sound like such a large success.

are you kidding me ! i'm SURE the media jumped all over the news story of union workers displeased with the pace of their contract negiations ... i mean that's such a fresh news story , i bet it will be all over the cover of the AZ republic tomorrow ... sadly i wasn't watching TV tonight but i bet it was the lead story on all the local news networks ...

Reactions: 2 people

Consider it a wake up call if you don't think it was a success. It WAS. You know what else we've succeeded at? Banding together. We are the largest employee group on property. We are the lowest paid in the industry, we are united, we know what management has been doing with their lies to other employee groups and the media, and we are going to take a strike vote in the fall which WILL be approved by a landslide, and then we are going to CHAOS after we are released to do so.
Management can stop this fiasco if they get real with their proposal. What happened yesterday is only the beginning. We outnumber everyone here and we are mad as hell.

Back us up or watch us walk. WAKE UP PEOPLE. 8 months and counting...

Reactions: 6 people
Wow... you must not know anything about informational Picketing. The goal is to inform, and protest the lack of progress in negioations. When you ask "What did you succeed in doing?"
What do you think success would be? What do you think the goal in Picketing is?

We suceeded in letting them know we are fed up, we flustered and angered them enough that they were forced to move the luncheon indoors. We let the media know that contrary to what Steve Johnson CFO says "We are NOT one big happy family where labor relations are great" We let them know that we are ONE and UNIFIED in our fight for a fair contract!
But I dont expect you to understand that concept being as your a corporate employee.

Consider it a wake up call if you don't think it was a success. It WAS. You know what else we've succeeded at? Banding together. We are the largest employee group on property. We are the lowest paid in the industry, we are united, we know what management has been doing with their lies to other employee groups and the media, and we are going to take a strike vote in the fall which WILL be approved by a landslide, and then we are going to CHAOS after we are released to do so.
Management can stop this fiasco if they get real with their proposal. What happened yesterday is only the beginning. We outnumber everyone here and we are mad as hell.

LOL ... i look forward to your strike vote ... i'd really like to see if it actually happens...

ABSOLUTLY!! I have My CHAOS Shirts and Ready to wear it!!

ABSOLUTLY!! I have My CHAOS Shirts and Ready to wear it!!
Me too!

I am sure that there will be plenty of CHAOS shirts available for those who weren't around during our last CHAOS...

So for those who dont have them....... Patience! You too can have one soon!

Union members who participate in these events likely have no idea how the average American views their actions. Most Americans don’t favor unions, picketing, or the kind of mob-rule antics that interfere with the unrestrained flow of commerce in what is supposed to be a free society. Even in the NFL situation the players aren’t faring too well in the court of public opinion. Most fans just want to know that the games will be played by the mega-millionaire players who ought to show some gratitude to their fans by going to work every day just like most responsible Americans do. Even if they don’t study the economics, most Americans know intuitively that unions often have a very negative effect on the economy which, in turn, has a negative effect on them. Below are some excerpts from The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics (M. Reynolds) which support the average American’s innate understanding of the detrimental effects unions have:

Economists who study unions—including some who are avowedly prounion—analyze them as CARTELS that raise wages above competitive levels by restricting the SUPPLY of labor

Thus, unions are a major anticompetitive force in labor markets. Their gains come at the expense of consumers, nonunion workers, the jobless, taxpayers, and owners of CORPORATIONS.

Unions’ power to fix high prices for their members’ labor rests on legal privileges and immunities that they get from government, both by statute and by nonenforcement of other laws. The purpose of these legal privileges is to restrict others from working for lower wages.

Union officials can force compulsory union dues from employees…as a condition for keeping their jobs. Unions often use these funds for political purposes…unrelated to collective bargaining or to employee grievances, despite the illegality of this under federal law.

FRIEDRICH A. HAYEK summed it up as follows: “We have now reached a state where [unions] have become uniquely privileged institutions to which the general rules of law do not apply

Labor unions cannot prosper in a competitive environment. Like other successful cartels, they depend on government patronage and protection.

[However], the silent, steady forces of the marketplace continually undermine labor cartels.

According to a Louis Harris poll commissioned by the AFLCIO in 1984, only one in three U.S. employees would vote for union representation in a secret ballot election.

The Harris poll found, as have other surveys, that nonunion employees are more satisfied than union workers with job security, recognition of job performance, and participation in decisions that affect their jobs.

[There is a] deep, permanent conflict between union members and workers in general that inevitably arises when union-represented employees are paid monopoly prices for their services.​
Source: http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/LaborUnions.html

Union members who participate in these events likely have no idea how the average American views their actions. Most Americans don’t favor unions, picketing, or the kind of mob-rule antics that interfere with the unrestrained flow of commerce in what is supposed to be a free society. Even in the NFL situation the players aren’t faring too well in the court of public opinion. Most fans just want to know that the games will be played by the mega-millionaire players who ought to show some gratitude to their fans by going to work every day just like most responsible Americans do. Even if they don’t study the economics, most Americans know intuitively that unions often have a very negative effect on the economy which, in turn, has a negative effect on them. Below are some excerpts from The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics (M. Reynolds) which support the average American’s innate understanding of the detrimental effects unions have:

Economists who study unions—including some who are avowedly prounion—analyze them as CARTELS that raise wages above competitive levels by restricting the SUPPLY of labor

Thus, unions are a major anticompetitive force in labor markets. Their gains come at the expense of consumers, nonunion workers, the jobless, taxpayers, and owners of CORPORATIONS.

Unions’ power to fix high prices for their members’ labor rests on legal privileges and immunities that they get from government, both by statute and by nonenforcement of other laws. The purpose of these legal privileges is to restrict others from working for lower wages.

Union officials can force compulsory union dues from employees…as a condition for keeping their jobs. Unions often use these funds for political purposes…unrelated to collective bargaining or to employee grievances, despite the illegality of this under federal law.

FRIEDRICH A. HAYEK summed it up as follows: “We have now reached a state where [unions] have become uniquely privileged institutions to which the general rules of law do not apply”

Labor unions cannot prosper in a competitive environment. Like other successful cartels, they depend on government patronage and protection.

[However], the silent, steady forces of the marketplace continually undermine labor cartels.

According to a Louis Harris poll commissioned by the AFLCIO in 1984, only one in three U.S. employees would vote for union representation in a secret ballot election.

The Harris poll found, as have other surveys, that nonunion employees are more satisfied than union workers with job security, recognition of job performance, and participation in decisions that affect their jobs.

[There is a] deep, permanent conflict between union members and workers in general that inevitably arises when union-represented employees are paid monopoly prices for their services.​
Source: http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/LaborUnions.html

Uh,

Wow!

I am sorry to say that the only thing you succeeded in doing is providing yourself a false sence of accomplishment. The public really does not care and management will do as they please. As far as work stoppages I doubt you will be released to pursue that avenue and any such action would be illegal.

Reactions: 3 people
I am sorry to say that the only thing you succeeded in doing is providing yourself a false sence of accomplishment. The public really does not care and management will do as they please. As far as work stoppages I doubt you will be released to pursue that avenue and any such action would be illegal.

You couldnt be more wrong! management will not do as they please, because now they have to show up when the
NMB mediator says, and if they keep giving the same ol proposal as before the mediator will see they are not negotiating in good faith and we do have the options of being released unlike before when our hands were tied. If they do release us and CHAOS ensues we will bring this company to a stand still !!

You couldnt be more wrong! management will not do as they please, because now they have to show up when the
NMB mediator says, and if they keep giving the same ol proposal as before the mediator will see they are not negotiating in good faith and we do have the options of being released unlike before when our hands were tied. If they do release us and CHAOS ensues we will bring this company to a stand still !!

Keep thinking those happy thoughts. Your union is weak just like most the unions in the US. As for bringing the company to a stand still I doubt it.