MESA at PIT

brandnewsin1

Dec 22, 2002
MESA mtc has been telling people this since oct and nobody believed them. MESA has something like 30 flights a day into and out of PIT with express. as for the cwa, I guess the PSA union represents gate and ramp and their agreement contridicts the CWA agreements, so who knows.

There goes service at PIT. I thought the CWA negotiated that they would take over gate functions at PIT, CLT, PHL, and DCA.

J.Ornstein is in PIT today checking out the retrofitted jetways for his new CRJ''s. They have been fixing the jetways since nov. MESA is taking over the Express operation from PSA (buyout of the wholley owneds?) on Dec 31 in PIT, DAY, IPT, and TOL.

Any truth to the story that the PHL ramp personnel walked out the other week when they were told that mainline would be taking over the F terminal in Jan.?

If your referring to the hierarchy of airlines within USAirways, here it goes:

USAirways

Allegheny (Wholly-Owned Subsidary of USAirways)
Piedmont (Wholly-Owned Subsidary of USAirways)
PSA (Wholly-Owned Subsidary of USAirways)
Mid Atlantic (Not sure if this will be wholly-onwed or a division of USAirways)

Affiliate Carriers (Contract out their services to various airlines)

Mesa/Air Midwest/Freedom Air(Freedom is a ?)
Chautauqua/Republic (Republic is supposed to be their new airline)
Trans States
Shuttle America
Colgan
Midway

I think I got them all.

Basically, the wholly-owned companies have their own management structure but take order from Crystal Cities. USAirways determines how many aircraft they can operate, where they fly, etc. All funds for operation essentially come from Airways.

The Affiliate carriers code-share with various airlines and are free to take their business wherever they want.

This is my best recollection...

Wholly-owned subisideraries of US Airways Group:
US Airways, Inc. (mainline)
Express Carriers:
Allegheny
Piedmont
PSA
Mid Atlantic (formerly Potomac Air during the UAL merger)
(Is the Shuttle still a separate division?)

Mesa Air Group:
Mesa Airlines
Air Midwest
Freedom Airlines (flies as AWA Express, not US Airways yet)
CC Air (acquired by Mesa Air Group in early '90s, shut down by MAG recently, Nov 1 maybe)

Wexford Management:
(Wexford has several airline investments, including several US Airways Express partners)
Chautauqua
Shuttle America
Midway (doesn't Wexford have a hand in Midways BK... Maybe DIP financing? And US Airways group will get a stake in Midway once it emerges from BK...)

Other Express partners include independants Trans States and Colgan Air.

Sometimes, it seems like US Airways has an "Office of Complicating Matters".

Can any one tell me what the benefits are of having 3 wholly owned express carriers versus combining them all into one? If all three carriers are owned by US, yet we continue to run them as seperate entities, isn't there a lot of duplication of work functions that could effectily be consolidated into one? By combining them couldn't you eliminate all the redundancies and increase communication and coordination within the wholly owned express carrier group? Seems like there is a cost savings to be had there. Can anyone explain what is the benefit of keeping them seperate?

Im confused about what exactly they'll be using all these jets for. I was thinking for awhile that they would be replacing the turboprops. But are they going to be replacing our 737s? I'm confused..

Heinrich,

They already are. Mesa Rj's are currently flying slots that just two months ago were filled by 737's.

Yes, there is a lot of overlap, and common sense (not commonly used in the airline business) would seem to point to combining all three. There was rumor of it several months ago, but that has died down now.

The only problem I can see is with PSA because they operate the Dornier and ALG and PDT operate the Dash.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/27/2002 4:41:20 PM MarkMyWords wrote:

Can any one tell me what the benefits are of having 3 wholly owned express carriers versus combining them all into one? If all three carriers are owned by US, yet we continue to run them as seperate entities, isn't there a lot of duplication of work functions that could effectily be consolidated into one? By combining them couldn't you eliminate all the redundancies and increase communication and coordination within the wholly owned express carrier group? Seems like there is a cost savings to be had there. Can anyone explain what is the benefit of keeping them seperate?
----------------
[/blockquote]

I would guess the major benefit at this point is the ability to bring more jets into the system at one time. For example if you could receive 9 jets per month (as an example only) it would be near impossible for one airline to accomodate that much growth. But put 3 jets at one carrier, 3 jets at another carrier, and 3 jets at another carrier... then you've just introduced 9 jets in one month into the system. I would venture to say that as each wholly owned rids themselves of their turboprops, they will be folded together, or closed down.

So let's see, the U-ALPA has directly contributed to the creation of three new alter-ego carriers; Mid-Atlantic, Freedom, and the abortion that Wexford is threatening Chautauqua pilots with. Seems a bit more than just hypocrisy when ALPA seems to hold the creation of these alter-carriers in contempt. I can't be the only pilot- regional or mainline- who believes that ALPA has lost its' way, as well as its' convictions in attempting to save this airline.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/28/2002 1:05:17 PM airjackson wrote:
[P] So let's see, the U-ALPA has directly contributed to the creation of three new alter-ego carriers; Mid-Atlantic, Freedom, and the abortion that Wexford is threatening Chautauqua pilots with. Seems a bit more than just hypocrisy when ALPA seems to hold the creation of these alter-carriers in contempt. I can't be the only pilot- regional or mainline- who believes that ALPA has lost its' way, as well as its' convictions in attempting to save this airline. [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]airjackson, [BR][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]You just don’t understand. It's all about the U ALPA pilots! Any abortion that U ALPA can dream up to protect some of the guys must be good. The consequences to the other labor groups, wholey-owneds, and the other ALPA pilots in the world aren't important.[BR][/SPAN][/P]