Afa Bod Votes To Merge With Cwa

Do_it_for_Dave said:
What has the PIT LEC done for its members lately?
On the contrary, I am very appreciative of the work and tireless efforts of our US Airways Union Leaders. I would be very happy to keep the LEC Officers and their respective staff and assistants in place.

My issue is with the AFA parent organization and how much of my monthly dues goes towards the union members at US Airways and not to support staff members and expensive office space in Washington.

And as a longtime employee of this company, I couldn't imagine not having a union. My suggestion? A newly formed union. One that is by, for and about the Flight Attendants of US Airways. Where 100% of the dues goes towards our causes. Our legal counsel. Our future.

Other airlines have done it. Why not us?

Fly,

You are terribly incorrect. All carriers who demanded concessions from their members directly effected the leadership as well. Example: USAirways MEC is paid flight pay loss. If the f/as take hourly cuts per hours, it is exactly to the penny for every union leader too.

If your speaking of AFA International, you are speaking about 3 union leaders. The President took 10% pay cut, which was more than the United f/as who took a 9% pay cut in wages alone, and she is a United Flight attendant.

AFA International has Staff attorneys who DO NOT get paid what Corporate America pays their staff attorneys. I am sure you know this.

If you are angry that you are a union member in the first place, then you can elect to be an Ellis Objecter in which I believe the dues are approximately $6 per month.

Your choice.

If you are angry that you are a union member in the first place, then you can elect to be an Ellis Objecter in which I believe the dues are approximately $6 per month.

Thanks Pit for the information. But why should I have to pay one dime for something I don't want in the first place? I realize that there are hard working and dedicated people working at AFA....but I think the people who make the final decisions have NO interest in the membership whatsoever, and that trickle down is what is so frustrating. If you check the records, the United f/a's last contract was passed by 51% (how convenient a number) although I have yet to meet one single person who voted for it. We voted down a contract with a raise, then they came back with this one (without a raise :shock: ) and it passed?!? The rumor is that the AFA negotiating committee were awarded little bonuses (thousands of dollars) for getting it pushed through.

Next time you walk by a United f/a, note his/her uniform....No AFA pin. We stopped wearing them that year.