Mesa To Leave Us Airways Express?

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Delta Air Lines, Mesa Air Group Announce Strategic Partnership

Complete Story

USA320Pilot comments: If 30 Mesa and 15 Chautauqua 50-seat RJs leave US Airways Express, this would provide homes for 45 of 70 Air Wisconsin CRJ-200s. I believe Mesa operates 27 other 50-seat RJ's for US Airways Express, about the number of Air Wisconsin CRJ's Air Wisonsin has that may be unaccounted for (25).

Regards,

USA320Pilot

But Mesa would still be part of US Airways Express due to their Air Midwest service.

Mesa is hedging itself, they aren't stupid. The real question is whether or not this eliminates them from 'investing' in US. I think it does.

And the article says it will be Freedom, not Mesa, I don't believe Freedom flies in the US Airways Express system.

700UW said:
And the article says it will be Freedom, not Mesa, I don't believe Freedom flies in the US Airways Express system.
[post="266432"][/post]​

Freedom is a part of Mesa Air Group, not unlike Psa or Peidmont being a part of USAir. As we all know JO formed Freedom to get around the 50 seat scope and use non-union pilots to whipsaw us at the last contract neg....we since recaptured that flying. JO won't let the Freedom certificate die. Lately, one 1900 has been flying around PHX on that certificate. If I had to guess, he's putting CRJ's on there to keep the cert alive, nothing more. It's still flown by Mesa crews.

Freedom never flew for U. They flew out of PHX, using CRJ's.

"We are pleased to add another highly cost-effective, customer-focused regional airline to our portfolio of regional carriers," said J.T. Fisher, president, Delta Connection, Inc.

So are they adding two airlines to Delta Connection? :)

Sad,

I thought that the last wonderful mesa contract ended Freedumb! Sad! Very sad!

Mesa = An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.

Too bad all Flying can't stay within Group! Mainline/MDA/PSA/PDT should be doing all the flying. Contract companies make money, while we continue to lose money.

jack mama said:
WSurf:
Isn't ALPA's old school scope to blame for that?
[post="266463"][/post]​

Nope. The "old school" scope limited the number & size on express planes (as does the "new school" scope, the limits are just much higher), not who could fly them. As scope was relaxed, the additional flying could have stayed "in house" but the company chose to contract it out.

Jim

WSurf said:
Sad,

I thought that the last wonderful mesa contract ended Freedumb! Sad! Very sad!

Mesa = An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.

Too bad all Flying can't stay within Group! Mainline/MDA/PSA/PDT should be doing all the flying. Contract companies make money, while we continue to lose money.
[post="266461"][/post]​

Hey Surf, I've only seen this same post from you on a couple of sites today...you still have a few to go. Better get busy.

RowUnderDCA said:
Ok, this is interesting: POR on Friday and this Mesa announcement.

Is this an OPTION to use planes or a commitment?

How many rjs does Mesa operate for U/HP?
[post="266473"][/post]​

They operate 55, they are the biggest Express carrier.

I'll bet thier remaining contract is given up in BK, and they are replaced with Air Whisky.

I don't think I would be so excited about AirWilly! I heard there performance wasn't stellar at AirTran. However, I guess anything is better then Mesa's performance. Please don't take that Personal 'Turtle', I don't want to upset my number 1 fan.... :)

Light Years said:
They operate 55, they are the biggest Express carrier.
[post="266485"][/post]​

Light Years,

Not quibbling, because something may have changed, but according to Mesa's latest quarterly report (released in late April) they operated 59 RJ's for US Express (plus 16 B1900's).

"These deliveries increased Mesa’s fleet of regional jets to 136 regional jet aircraft, comprised of 92 50-seat regional jets, 15 70-seat regional jets and 29 86-seat regional jets (47 America West, 30 United and 59 US Airways."

As for the DL/Mesa agreement, so far I've seen nothing that says those RJ's will be removed from US Express service, though if their affiliate contract is cancelled or modified it would certainly happen. As of the end of 2004, Mesa was obligated to add 13 RJ's under their various affiliate contracts, but had 20 CRJ's scheduled for delivery in 2005. Additionally, there are CRJ's becoming available - primarily FlyI's that are being returned to leasors.

Jim

Latest posts