Mesa To Leave Us Airways Express?

USA320Pilot said:
Currently,23 of Mesa ’s CRJs fly in the US Airways network; these will likely be transferred to Delta, but it ’s not clear if Mesa will pull the seven remaining CRJs from America West or United. Ornstein also is trying to determine what he could do with the 36 Embraer regional jets flying at US Airways.

Will likely be transferred according to the author... As I said, its possible, and even probable (i.e. likely). However, I expect that Mesa will still fight for its right to continue to operate is existing US and HP fleets for those airlines. Mesa is really in a good position here... If they do keep the US and HP contracts in tact, then they just need to find 30 RJs (like those just returned to lessors by FlyI). If they don't keep the US and HP contracts in tact, then they can move US aircraft. Its a great strategy on Mesa's part.

Again, I don't expect Mesa to just walk away quietly. Not their style.

Rico said:
Then they have poor powers of observation.

Look to DAl and note that Comair and ASA enjoy some of the few remainingdecent contracts in the regionals. Add Mesa to the equation and now you have what I call "internal competition", in which the threat of Mesa taking over your flying if you do not lower your costs becomes real, not just a possibility
[post="267026"][/post]​

Seems to me that since Comair and ASA are wholly-owned subsidiaries of DAL, threatening to move flying to Mesa would be rather like shooting yourself in the foot. That's putting real dollars out the front door instead of simply moving them down the hall.

jimntx said:
Seems to me that since Comair and ASA are wholly-owned subsidiaries of DAL, threatening to move flying to Mesa would be rather like shooting yourself in the foot. That's putting real dollars out the front door instead of simply moving them down the hall.
[post="267207"][/post]​

US Airways with the help of the AAA MEC has been sending those real dollars out the door for a few years now rather than sending them down the hall. Why would Delta and the DAL MEC act any differently?

Actually, considering the AAA MEC blessed sending the 737 replacement aircraft , the E190s, out the Front Door to Chautauqua, I think it's fair to say that they are no longer trying to shoot themselves in the foot. They are clearly trying to shoot themselves in the Head. :up:

RowUnderDCA said:
How about:

AP
Mesa Air to Operate 30 More Jets for UAL
Friday May 13, 2:09 pm ET
Mesa Air Group Agrees to Operate 30 More Regional Jets for United Airlines

PHOENIX (AP) -- Mesa Air Group Inc., a regional airline used by major carriers for small-town stops, on Friday said it agreed to operate 30 additional jets for UAL Corp.
Including the modified contract for the 50-seat regional jets, Mesa will operate 70 aircraft for United Airlines, including 45 CRJ-200s, 15 CRJ-700s and 10 Dash 8s. Mesa said it expects to have the 30 regional jets operating within one year.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Mesa operates 180 aircraft with more than 1,100 daily departures to 168 cities in 44 states, Canada and Mexico. The company -- whose operations on behalf of other carriers account for nearly all of its sales -- also has contracts with America West and US Airways.

Nasdaq-listed shares of Mesa Air climbed 22 cents, or 3.75 percent, to $6.09 during afternoon trading. Shares of UAL Corp. fell 2 cents to 97 cents during afternoon trading on the over-the-counter exchange.