Message from IAM President Thomas Buffenbarger

Jun 17, 2003
This is the latest information on the 141m IAM website. A very inspirational letter from IAM President Thomas Buffenbarger. What do you think??
7/17/03

HARD CORE!

What’s left after 90,000 layoffs … after GVP Hooper’s untimely death … after 14 Machinists are shot in Mississippi because of the color of their skin … after AMFA wins at United? What’s left is the hard core of this Union!

Look around you.

What you’ll see are the veterans who fought for the seniority clauses in your IAM contract … the ones who fought for IAM wages that are more than four times higher than McDonald’s or Wal-Mart … who fought for the IAM pension and health care benefits that are so envied by non-union workers … who fought for the vacation days, shift assignments, health and safety protections that some take for granted.

Look around you.

What you’ll see are communities filled with middle class families that a generation or two ago rented their apartments, relied on second-hand cars and dreamed of owning a color television set. Now their homes are filled with imported electronic devices, imported shoes and clothes, imported appliances. Their driveways are filled with two or more imported cars.

What made all that apparent wealth possible? You did.

In negotiations, during organizing drives, on picket lines, and at protests for the last 115 years, IAM members have pushed hard for a better life – for themselves, for their families, for their communities and for their two countries. Look around. What you’ll find is the hard core: IAM members just like you.

R. Thomas Buffenbarger
International President

I''m CONFUSED again. Did he say Walmart, McDonalds and imported everything? I think what he''s smokin is imported!!

Mr B says

Look around you.
What you’ll see are communities filled with middle class families that a generation or two ago rented their apartments, relied on second-hand cars and dreamed of owning a color television set. Now their homes are filled with imported electronic devices, imported shoes and clothes, imported appliances. Their driveways are filled with two or more imported cars.
What made all that apparent wealth possible? You did.

It must be nice to live on top of the hill

You just let the CEO take what wages and benefits we workers fought for, and set us all back a generation or two... no fight no give and take no relief for years
now we are forced to back into rented apartments ,buying second-hand cars,and thrift store clothing and not being able to send our children to college. You have stripped us of our dignity as your standard of living got better.
As for "What made all that apparent wealth possible?" You did.
should read "What made all my apparent wealth possible? "
You are right....... We did

You see we need a change as your fight is over with US and our has just begun

Statements like that only help AMFA's cause.

I never again want my profession used in the same sentence with “McDonaldsâ€￾ Or ‘Wal-Martâ€￾ in it. I have much more respect for myself and my fellow co-workers.

The IAM was paid to get all of those things for it's memebers. I paided for it and so did alot of other hard working people.

The days are near when I no longer require your services Mr. Buffy. I can't afford the price you are willing to pay.
11.gif
11.gif

I must be CONFUSED again,since when did an A&P Mechanic
ever think about working at either a Walmart or McDonalds.

Oh I get it he is refering to all the other union members.

The ones who pay lower union dues.

Time to go IAM!!!!!!!!!!

AMFA NOW!!!!!!!!

What will impress me is langauge that mirrors that of the AFA and ALPA's MEC.

The IAM membership has paid just as many hefty dues to right this company..and yet we are rewarded with continued cutbacks..threats of outsourcing of "Our Work".

I also realize that the contract that was agreed upon allowed Dave and Crew to take 5% from all of us for 18 months...yet the affects that triggered this need have never really come to pass.

I would like to hear in simple terms , what they (Dave and Dave) are doing with our interest free loan?, beyond the typical jabs about buying RJ's with it. People that make sacrifices to save something , need positive, tangible and visible results for thier efforts and sacrifices...or they will never feel good about it. This is but another continued problem within our companies culture.

Dave came to us saying that communication and straight talk was going to heal some of the mistakes of the past...but I'll be dogged if I've seen any of that since the votes on concessions went their way.

The September F/A's ordeal with the furlough of an additonal 170 people should serve as an added warning to all IAM'ers..If it's hitting the flight crews..it will soon be coming our way too. The reductions of flying out of PIT in September should serve as a warning to buckle up.

The IAM in my opinion is "Foot Dragging" or too imbedded with this company. Where is thier "Strong Language" The AFA MEC's latest statement...and the ALPA MEC's vote of no confidence in the current leadership shows representation of thier membership , What actual good it does remains to be seen?

Where's our well paid representation during all of this? Survey says thier on the golf course...or bellied up to the bar , all the while we're paying the tabs and green fees.

7.gif

----------------
On 7/24/2003 7:52:47 PM cat 111 wrote:

That is why the IAM will soon be shown the door just like they were over at united.

Where oh where have all the iam diehards gone?? I'm sure that of the 700+ views of buffys ignorant letter that the most loyal of the iam guys are all left speechless. Maybe they will begin to see the light when the voting begins in mid October. I advice all the fence sitters to follow the transition updates at United and talk to your old buddys at Ual who still have a job for the most accurate information, don't fall prey to the upcoming smear campaign coming out of the iam battered war room. They will say or do anything not to lose their last large group of mechanics to hold hostage.
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

What a crock....the only thing the IAM did for me was freeze my pay for four years while they fuddled around "aggressively" purusing a contract. Then they negotiated a contract with a pay cut in it, then as a final gesture of good will - they gave back the no-furlough clause and threw me on the street. Forget the "be thankful that you still have your job" crap, because the IAM even took that away from me. They should have sunk the entire ship before a single person was laid off. When the BK courts imposed cuts, we should have engaged in wildcatting like it's never been seen before. Ooooh, it's illegal....so isn't the crap that the IAM did to us. Where is the thuggishness that made unions something to fear?
14.gif

The union leadership has no teeth. The IAM should have been loudly rattling sabres with management rather than negotiating give-backs. They should have made it clear that if they wanted cuts - mechanics and related were not the place to look or ask. Start with the BOD and management, then look elsewhere. But don't ask me for a dime.

I'm glad to know that my dues money went to something constructive.

The IAM needs to go. They sold me out. They sold you out. I hate my current job, or at least compared to what was taken from me.

Vote AMFA, just because it ain't the MIA IAM.

Jon C.

----------------
On 7/27/2003 6:53:00 PM JonC wrote:

What a crock....the only thing the IAM did for me was freeze my pay for four years while they fuddled around "aggressively" purusing a contract. Then they negotiated a contract with a pay cut in it, then as a final gesture of good will - they gave back the no-furlough clause and threw me on the street. Forget the "be thankful that you still have your job" crap, because the IAM even took that away from me. They should have sunk the entire ship before a single person was laid off. When the BK courts imposed cuts, we should have engaged in wildcatting like it's never been seen before. Ooooh, it's illegal....so isn't the crap that the IAM did to us. Where is the thuggishness that made unions something to fear?
14.gif

The union leadership has no teeth. The IAM should have been loudly rattling sabres with management rather than negotiating give-backs. They should have made it clear that if they wanted cuts - mechanics and related were not the place to look or ask. Start with the BOD and management, then look elsewhere. But don't ask me for a dime.

I'm glad to know that my dues money went to something constructive.

The IAM needs to go. They sold me out. They sold you out. I hate my current job, or at least compared to what was taken from me.

Vote AMFA, just because it ain't the MIA IAM.

Jon C.

----------------​
Just a note to the author,
Anyone who seriously believed in a no layoff clause, also probably believe's in the fairy god mother. Hello it's wake up time-----reality calling.
What did amfa do for North west? Hummm--- a wage increase----while farmming out most of the work--GOOD JOB you go girls! Does anyone out there know who gets the proceeds when amfa wins a grevance? Answer amfa. Please don't trust me go to their web site, ask them. Did you know that there is a fee (paid by you) to file a greviance? Did you know that dues at amfa are higher than the I.A.M.s. Would it matter to you that the great contract every body talks about at South west was negotiated by the Teamsters not amfa? I suppose that at least you do know that some one trying to take over another union might use smear tactic's. The real question is what has amfa done for any of the airlines it controls. Open your eye's, at least at this point NOTHING! Those still fortunate enough to be working at Usairways still have their work by contract. Ask those at North West about that.
While you are right in that the I.A.M. has some serious improving to do and fast. You have to make the choice in whats best and who has proof. If you look within a non biased frame work the I.A.M. clearly wins.
2.gif
2.gif

T-bone, Surely you must realize NW mechanics are making thousands of dollars more per year than either UAL or U mechanics .... Also you must surely realize that NW is not alone in the "laying off " department. Have any ideal how many mechanics UAL & U have laid off ??? Do you actually want to bring up the "farming out " issue ? We'll see what the IAM can do about the Airbus work over at U..

Surely you must realize that with the exception of the wages the NW mechanics are working under a IAM negotiated contract.

----------------
On 7/28/2003 4:50:39 PM 757fixer wrote:

Surely you must realize that with the exception of the wages the NW mechanics are working under a IAM negotiated contract.

----------------​
Oh really? On negotiating the new contract the first thing they did was thow out the 600+ "letters of agreement" the IAM had in place. They were also very wise by nailing down the language first, before pay rates were discussed. I've read their contract ( copies of it were freely floating around our break room/office in the hangar, and in plain sight...hah! ) and there's enough pages of lined-out text, and revisions I'll tell you. It's closer to the truth to call it a new from the ground up contract, than it is to call it an IAM contract with a couple of tweaks.