Messing With Upgrade Inventory?

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I have recently noted from experience as well as many posts over on Flyertalk, that inventory control has withdrawn most E class inventory making it much more difficult for upgrades to clear at the appropriate preferred window. It winds up being a near free for all at the gate, as the agents are then required to clear the same people when the seats don't sell.

In my opinion, and I am NOT whining, this is counter productive. While I understand the company's desire to try to sell more F class seats, perhaps first they should consider having a competitive F class product. As reported previously, all we get up front is a more comfortable seat lately (NO fault of the excellent crews I might add). As a contrast UA's domestic first puts US to shame--glass, silver, plates, hot towels, etc. etc.....

Next, the company is trying to reduce the staff at the gates, by introducing the gate readers--so let me get this straight, you are cutting back on the staff at the gates, but giving them more work....clearing upgrades for even MORE people. One would imagine that after one or two experiences like this even the most loyal customers are going to shy away.

Most importantly, would it not have made sense to do this AFTER adjusting fares? The GO fares are only in select markets, yet I am seeing this inventory game being played in markets which have not as yet been rationalized. I have always been willing to pay a FAIR fare, but not a ridiculous one.

For the record I have never advocated matching LCC's pricing across the board, but rationalizing the entire structure.

Just my thoughts, and I am NOT trying to make this a RANT or a whine...it just seems to me that the last thing the company should be doing is biting the hand that feeds them, considering that the Preferred program is what is keeping MANY of the frequent fliers on the property at this moment.

My best to you all.......

Very well stated and I agree whole heartedly. The CP Desk is not real wild about the changes either. It has increased the number of phone call there too.

If this is the beginning of fare rationalization then I support it. If there is another motive then they are in fact bitting the hand that feeds them. Give it some time and let's see what happens.

Inventory Management Department is one of the many areas that is long due an overhaul. On the long hauls it is rare to ever find a true first class ticket that is sold. For the most part the seats are all full of upgrades and oversales from the rear. I doubt the company will ever release how much revenue we give away due to overbookings, but Im sure it's in the 10's of millions of dollars yearly. It amazes me that a department that can cost the company thousands of dollars a day is not held accountable for the waste. When I question any of the "analysists" there, they just tell me they are told to fill the plane at any cost.

Latest posts