MIA news: SCL 777; more DEN, CLT; MIA-LHR 2x daily year-round (it appears)

I fail to see your point, JFK777, because MIA''s trans-Atlantic service is above par with cities of its size, more comprhensive and more seats than Houston, Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, and Detroit (all but Seattle are significatnly larger). Your points make no sense at all.

As for BA, they are not moving thier two MIA flights to LGW. Where in the world would you get that from? In fact, it is Virgin that is responding to premium demand and moving thier MIA-LGW flight to -LHR.

MIA is working very hard to attract foriegn carriers. In fact, last month they flew to Kenya and started talks with Kenyan Airways for MIA-NBO service. It would take a good 18-24 months to get the service started up, and talks are early. They are also talking with an unnamed Nigerian airline and South African Airways. They are currently spending $600,000 to attract non-stop service to 26 long-haul destinations in Asia, Africa, and Europe. Thier investment should yield at least 3-5 of them. Strong canidates for MIA when European service picks up are the return of Austrian and Finnair, as well as SAS and Aer Lingus. This winter look for Lufthansa to Munich if travel picks up (they keep putting it on the backburner), Alitalia may split MIA service up again to 5x a week to MXP and 2x a week FCO, and El Al is finally here year-round starting 28 October.

Tokyo will have to wait, but when it happens, it will be LanChile, who recently applied to fly to Japan. LanChile service to MIA would connect to LANChile''s expansive route map from Miami, which includes Bogota, Caracas, Cancun, and Santiago de Chile served by LanChile; Lima and Punta Cana served by LanPeru; Qutio and Guayquil served by LanEcuador; and starting 16 June, Santo Domingo served by LanDominicana.

MIA-SEA: Alaska is doing marvelous on the route and a second daily for the winter season is supposedly on its way. A daily 738 or 752 on AA will be no problem. Maybe they''ll do it with one of those (GRRR) new LRTC 752s.

What I want to see at MIA? Forget international for now and think domestic. I want to see regional jets to Columbus, Indianapolis, Birmingham, Greensboro, Greer, Charleston, Norfolk, White Plains, and Newburgh.

PS,
Want to see a "parking lot"? Check out any parking lot in Coral Gables, Bal Harbour, Brickell Avenue, or South Beach. You think Range Rovers are impressive? Miamians (not West Palm Beachers) buy more Land Rovers than anyone else except Los Angelinos, accounting for 12% of Land Rovers sold in the US annually. And like you said it, it is because Miamians are showy and nowhere near conservative. They spend thier money on gaudy stuff, but the fact remains, the money is spent, for whatever reasons they have behind it.

----------------
On 5/23/2003 3:00:18 PM MAH4546 wrote:
Strong canidates for MIA when European service picks up are the return of Austrian and Finnair, as well as SAS and Aer Lingus. This winter look for Lufthansa to Munich if travel picks up (they keep putting it on the backburner), Alitalia may split MIA service up again to 5x a week to MXP and 2x a week FCO, and El Al is finally here year-round starting 28 October.
----------------​

A question about MIA-MUC: was there ever a LH MIA-MUC flight in the past, or was it MIA-MUC-VIE flight operated by Lauda Air (LH code-share)? I know a few years back, Lauda Air operated the VIE-MUC-MIA flights with a B767 and there was talk of switching these to B777.

----------------
On 5/23/2003 7:53:28 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

----------------
On 5/23/2003 3:00:18 PM MAH4546 wrote:
Strong canidates for MIA when European service picks up are the return of Austrian and Finnair, as well as SAS and Aer Lingus. This winter look for Lufthansa to Munich if travel picks up (they keep putting it on the backburner), Alitalia may split MIA service up again to 5x a week to MXP and 2x a week FCO, and El Al is finally here year-round starting 28 October.
----------------​

A question about MIA-MUC: was there ever a LH MIA-MUC flight in the past, or was it MIA-MUC-VIE flight operated by Lauda Air (LH code-share)? I know a few years back, Lauda Air operated the VIE-MUC-MIA flights with a B767 and there was talk of switching these to B777.

----------------​

Yes, Lufthansa operated MIA-MUC 2x a week, as well as MIA-DUS 2x a week, in the early 1990s with A300s and DC-10s. They ended with the German tourist scare that literally killed German tourism to Miami in the mid-1990s. Today, though, Germany is back to being the #2 US destination for Germans. LTU still flies MIA-DUS non-stop.

wasn''t there rumor of someone starting MIA-NRT service a while back? I know that the conditions are not the best right now for that kind of new service but I''m sure just cargo alone would do well.

It time that ASia be added to the MIA family. Maybe NRT isn''t the right destination. Korean Air has certainly ventured to many American cities, may be they would fly Miami-ICN? I don''t know it that is possible with a 772ER?

Re: MIA-NRT

LanChile was the rumoured carrier after they applied for the rights to fly to Japan a few months ago. They did not specify MIA-NRT, though it makes the most logical connecting point as LanChile, with thier LAN partners LanPeru, LanEcuador, and LanDominicana, offer non-stop service to nine cities from MIA with no need to back-track from SCL.

Re: MIA-ICN

Korean Air has been rumoured at looking at MIA for a while now, possibly as a stop enroute to re-opening GRU or as an extension of DFW. Both the 744 and 772 can fly the route.

However, now is not the time for MIA-Asia service. It will happen, but not now.

Re: MIA-MXP

Speak of the devil, Alitalia just upgraded the res systems this morning and thier Miami service does indeed become a 777-200ER in March.