Mid Atlantic June Flying

Aug 30, 2002
Philadelphia
I was recently looked at the MDA trip pairings and was suprised at what I saw. From what I remember her are some of the new city pairs:pHL-IAH,PHL-BNA,PHL-ROC,PHL-ABE(why ABE i dont know!),PHL-PWM,PIT-DCA(shocker!),PIT-IND,PIT-PWM. I think I got them all.

Why in the world would they put the 170 on the PHL-ABE route? I though the DH8 that Allegheny has been flying on there for years was justified. In addition PIT-DCA-PIT is a big CCY route. The flights on the 321/757 are always full. What gives putting MDA in that market? :rolleyes:

The new "Plan" is about to unfold.

Welcome to LCC, with little jets blackening the skies. B)

PITbull is right. MAA is the new mainline. I cant understand how anyone is shocked. The EMB170 can perform at least 80% of US Airways routes. And as you can see there is no "sentiment" about what routes they put it on (PIT-DCA, PIT-BOS). These planes will pretty much do what the 737 does now and what the DC9, MD80, and F100 used to do. If they bring on the 90 seater thats surely the death of mainline. Its an alter ego airline staffed by the same people at industry bottom contracts, agreed to by the unions.

And just think, theres nearly 80 more of those babies to be delivered in the next two years. All of us furloughed and junior folks saw what was coming, and its not even that huge a paycut for us. I guess the more senior people just brushed over the MAA part when voting on concessions. I guess they didnt think it would affect them... <_<

Light,

You are correct.

Its a master plan with the endorsement of labor voting to gutt their contracts and permit U to do this to our professions on mainline.

I can tell you this, Bronner states he will do it with or without labor. Hope he has his plan B, cause Labor is about to give him a big fight.

Back to the question at hand, for a moment....at least one PIT-DCA is presently being served by a 50 seat RJ. Prehaps it replaces this one?

the turtle said:
Back to the question at hand, for a moment....at least one PIT-DCA is presently being served by a 50 seat RJ. Prehaps it replaces this one?
PHL-BNA is also has at least a couple r/t's on CRJ's that are always very full. Maybe that are replacing these. Sounds like a good move to me. What do you guys care, all you do is bi!ch anyway even if it is the right move. -Cape

Why in the world would they put the 170 on the PHL-ABE route? I though the DH8 that Allegheny has been flying on there for years was justified.

Could it be that with fewer connecting opportunities in PIT, more ABE passengers will have to fly via PHL to get anywhere? It would be nice if there was enough demand at ABE to add a mid-day flight to CLT for passengers who want to travel to Florida.

bofie said:
PHL-IAH is a darn long flight in a 170.
Have you been on the EMB 170?

It is very roomy for a medium haul flight.

Actually, I would rather do it on the EMB 170 than the A320..from a passenger stand point.

There is more leg room, 6' 7" ceiling and no middle seat.

What would be the difference on this plane?

On mainline you sit in a center seat. There is no entertainment on medium haul flights anyway. What are you losing?

There are a lavs just like the A320.
There are a 2 galleys just like the A 320.
You get the same service (or lack of) as you do on the A320.
So, again..what are you losing?
Nothing!
The employees are the ones that lost..not the pax.

This isn't yesterday's express folks..unfortunately, it's tomorrow's mainline.
Let's hope not though.

rvolkcpa said:
Why in the world would they put the 170 on the PHL-ABE route? I though the DH8 that Allegheny has been flying on there for years was justified.

Could it be that with fewer connecting opportunities in PIT, more ABE passengers will have to fly via PHL to get anywhere? It would be nice if there was enough demand at ABE to add a mid-day flight to CLT for passengers who want to travel to Florida.
there is a sat only extra clt flt in the afternoon an erj and weight restricted. as for the E-170 i hear it is apain!

Twicebaked said:
Have you been on the EMB 170?

It is very roomy for a medium haul flight.

Actually, I would rather do it on the EMB 170 than the A320..from a passenger stand point.

There is more leg room, 6' 7" ceiling and no middle seat.

What would be the difference on this plane?

On mainline you sit in a center seat. There is no entertainment on medium haul flights anyway. What are you losing?

There are a lavs just like the A320.
There are a 2 galleys just like the A 320.
You get the same service (or lack of) as you do on the A320.
So, again..what are you losing?
Nothing!
The employees are the ones that lost..not the pax.

This isn't yesterday's express folks..unfortunately, it's tomorrow's mainline.
Let's hope not though.
I've not yet been on one, but it can't be equivalent. They oughta put in an FC like they said they were going to do originally if they plan to run on long flights.

A bigger seat is nice but does not make up for the loss of FC on a 3.5 hr flight. True, the average passenger's ride is better, but mine will be worse. I fly as much as most employees and I am invariably in FC. I'm a well-proportioned 6'2"and I really appreciate the greater room to work and stretch. It may sound petty and selfish, but 3.5 cramped hours just plain sucks.

I know that it doesn't compare to losing a job or taking a pay cut (I've done both, by the way) but it is a step backward.

And another thing...One extra PHL-IAH flight a day is nice...but why not make one leave later. With proper timing lots of trips could be down and back on the same day.

I must say that I can't wait to ride on a 170. I just want to see how U managed to put 72 seats with 32-33" reported pitch in a space Embraer says will only hold 70 with 32" pitch.

Does anyone know if left out any of the "standard" galley/lav/closet space?

Jim

I was checking out the June pairings for MAA and there are lots of IAH overnights. One four-day pairing even has three IAH overnights! Guess the MAA f/a's and pilots will learn to know their way around there quickly

The pairings overall look fair and decent. They really do seem to be building MAA up like they said they were. Glad to see they are standing by their word.

The seats are hands down wider and more comfortable than anything in coach on "mainline", and the legroom is far superior. The closest comparison for legroom would be the Shuttle A320s.

Like Twicebaked said, theres no IFE anyway so unless you had your heart content on a "First" class seat (shouldnt we give up the gig and stop calling it that?) customers are gaining rather than losing. The lack of a middle seat will be much appreciated.

If US Airways hadnt saddled thier new product with Express titles (which they only did because as usual they'd like someone other than US Airways to fly it) there would be alot of rave reviews on the new plane. But people see that its Express and will #### anyway.

Back