Midatlantic Pilots Fear Loss Of Jobs In Republic

MAA employees in essence have two jobs/opportunities- with mainline and with someone else. They have more job security than most at US. Like Rico said, people laughed at the Eastern/Trump Shuttle crews.

If Republic merges them and honors seniority dates they would be the most senior anyway. How many 14 year pilots and six year F/As does Chautauqua Airlines have? I'd guess not too many. If they do end up there, Republic has money to grow, US doesn't. Not to mention it's hands on US's most valuable assets if the big blue finally topples.

Despite the shady indifference and screw the juniors mentality that created the alter-ego MidAtlantic to begin with, the crews seem relatively happy. Before the Republic announcement, they couldn't get most of the F/As to leave and go back to mainline. Senior blockholder, flexible contract, crews that choose to be there and enjoy it for what it is, beautiful aircraft, comraderie and quality of life vs. bottom junior reserve in LGA, making only guarantee on those dirty planes with coworkers that make you want to jump out of 2L inflight.

If Republic merges them and honors seniority dates they would be the most senior anyway. How many 14 year pilots and six year F/As does Chautauqua Airlines have?

From a friend (fairly senior) at Chautauqua, it seems as though the Teamsters are talking about a staple -- if they offer employment at all.

He has heard absolutely NO talk about any kind of seniority integration.

If the event is a "sale of aircraft", the CHQ Teamsters contract would govern what happens to MDA employees. If the event is a "change in control" the national mediation board would preside over seniority integration and a vote to see which union would represent the integrated airline. MDA pay and work rules are superior to CHQ, but then they would be stuck with ALPA.

It shall be an interesting couple of months.....

Furloughedagain said:
If Republic merges them and honors seniority dates they would be the most senior anyway. How many 14 year pilots and six year F/As does Chautauqua Airlines have?

From a friend (fairly senior) at Chautauqua, it seems as though the Teamsters are talking about a staple -- if they offer employment at all.

[post="259598"][/post]​

Yeah but look who your friend is. Nothing is really known at this point.

They better get together a class of 400 or so F/As with a quickness if that ends up being the case. How do they plan to transition smoothly with no crews to staff the plane? The MAA F/As are not going to apply for a job at a cheesy commuter (hire me so I can pretend to be a US F/A, like I really am), nor are they going to be junior to a bunch of kids who have been flying for a year and are thrilled with thier $12K and 70 seat jet.

US Airways must be terrified about the details of this transaction coming out. Almost all of the MAA F/As will put in thier notice that day and return to furlough if the planes are definately going without them. These F/As are a tight bunch who act as a team. They have nothing to lose by quitting the division, they still have recall, and the company knows this. There may be no 170s flying at all for a few months.

LY,

The Republic agreement contains one of those "good news/bad news" items.

Per the agreement, the airplanes (if sold) would transfer at the rate of 3 per month. The good news is that the MDA flying (and jobs) would not disappear overnight. The bad news (potentially) is that this would give time for training on the Republic/CHQ side and could (potentially) reduce the number of MDA folks needed to fly the planes as they're transfered.

I sincerely hope that this all works out for every one of the MDA folks.

Jim

Maybe Embraer would have to outbid Republic in order to keep their aircraft where they want to. I think if there is another regional partner that invests in US to bring them out of BK, US will be split apart. If another entity invests in them, they will keep the company together for the most part. Either way, the regional investers are not going to allow US mainline employees to make more money than the regional employees. If they bring US out of BK, everyone will be taking a dramatic pay cut or won't work at US anymore. They have no incentive to keep paying anything higher than they do for their own employees already.

sfb said:
That's what I see as being somewhat problematic. Have you seen the order book for the E170? US Airways and Republic together represent 70% of the firm orders. And US supposedly got extremely favorable terms for becoming the North American launch customer for the E170; why would Embraer want to try to unload planes elsewhere for even less money?
[post="259465"][/post]​

Maybe the 70% is the key. If Republic and U represent 70% of the orders and Republic gains control of U's a/c, maybe Embraer is afraid that Republic will cancel/delay/want to renegotiate some or all of its own orders.

Rico said:
What...?

Oh, you want to gloat I assume, well sorry, but I am not bummed out. In fact, I have to say that no matter what happens from here on out...

I have been, and still am glad to have been a part of MDA. Can you say the same of your experience with the company Wings or Delldude...?

Despite the uncertainty of what exactly will happen to the MDA pilots, I know that I will deal with whatever comes my way, and make the best of the situation.

You see, I bid into MDA to fly something new, fly somewhere new, and to learn and improve as a pilot. I have accomplished those goals already.

I bid into MDA because I wanted to be able to deliver a quality experience to the passengers I was responsible for. In the Dash 8, you could have the perfect flight, and still many passengers would come away disappointed (merely because of the aircraft). In the E-170 though, I listen to multiple compliments a day, from passengers whose expectations were exceeded. That is where i get my job satisfaction.

I have also been happy because I enjoyed working with some of the best people in the US Airways system. I had a blast and learned so much from the captains I flew with. I have nothing but the highest respect for the MDA flight attendants who do an outstanding job and are great to work with. And the mechanics, who labored long and hard to figure our new planes "quirks" out, and keep us flying deserve as much credit as possible.

So yeah, I will be disappointed to see any of that change, but in a situation like this, when you close one door, another opens. It is up to you if you want to stare backwards and be bummed about what was, only to miss the possible opportunities that might lie ahead.

So if I end up at Republic, I will continue to do everything I can to give our passengers a safe and enjoyable flight. If I am furloughed from MDA, and must do so from a different JFJ position, then that is what I will do...

Who knows, maybey I will be lucky enough to trade out my white uniform shirts for blue ones even...

But Republic will be lucky to get it's hands upon the hard working people that built MDA from the ground up and made it a success. Obviously I hope I get to be one of them from the start.Yet there are other options to explore if I do not get on with Republic just yet.

Remember, life is what you make of it.
[post="259533"][/post]​

how they say...what comes around,goes around??
so you took a paycut down to mainline lav dumper wages for the glory and esteem of providing 'great service'...how can you improve by flying a lesser paying aircraft that mainline wannabees use as a stepping stone to better wages?? :p :D ....they could do a movie on you dude....
flying a hopped up bizz jet for lav dumper wages......
dude you kill me...wheres 700 i need back up.....

I guess because to me flying is a profession and passion, and to you, it is just a job...

No sense in trying to explain the difference to you, as that is kinda the point.

700UW might be able to understand, not through his US Airways job, but instead through his Union position and his personal motivations/reasons he devotes so much effort and zeal to such...

The horrible wages are a result of OTHER companies employees willing to undercut mainline. At least MidAtlantic was mainline and wholly owned employees fighting to keep the flying in house. Are you happier now that it will be someone else altogether doing it? Secondly, who agreed to the appalling MAA contracts anyway? Not the affected employees but thier senior, active counterparts who didn't and still don't give a hoot about anyone but themselves.

It'll be what goes around comes around when they are replaced too. Closer every day!

Furloughedagain said:

[post="259598"][/post]​

From a friend (works with the teamsters).

They want to give us MDA doh. This would not work because the seniority at MDA does not work on hire date. CHQ currently has 1300+ pilots and is hireing 40+ per month, the current upgrade time is just over a year. The company is run very very tight financially and can not afford and does not want to train 300 pilots in a short period of time.

This is not American taking over TWA, CHQ is a small airline that is rapidly growing. MDA is bringing 25 E170 with 300 plus pilots that can be recalled to mainline. which would creat additional position at CHQ. CHQ needs MDA to get republic up and running. The FAA wants CHQ to adapt all procedures that MDA uses which are mainline.

There will be no staple, I think you will see DOH or an integration similar to that of the shuttle pilots (slotted 1 for 4) from a snaphot that was taken from the annoucement. Couple that with the 25 orders for 170 and 190 and you are looking at a much better deal than the stagnent 25 airplane fleet that is operated now.

Additionaly if US does fold, CHQ does not have all there eggs in one basket, they also fly for Delta, American and United. This would be the only part of the U group that flys, ala trump shuttle.

So from the mouth of some dumb dog....twice

Happy happy Joy Joy

Rico said:
I guess because to me flying is a profession and passion, and to you, it is just a job...
cue...bring up the music
No sense in trying to explain the difference to you, as that is kinda the point.

700UW might be able to understand, not through his US Airways job, but instead through his Union position and his personal motivations/reasons he devotes so much effort and zeal to such...
[post="259859"][/post]​
well then dive on a grenade......with a passion....

Rico said:
What...?

Oh, you want to gloat I assume, well sorry, but I am not bummed out. In fact, I have to say that no matter what happens from here on out...

I have been, and still am glad to have been a part of MDA. Can you say the same of your experience with the company Wings or Delldude...?

Despite the uncertainty of what exactly will happen to the MDA pilots, I know that I will deal with whatever comes my way, and make the best of the situation.

You see, I bid into MDA to fly something new, fly somewhere new, and to learn and improve as a pilot. I have accomplished those goals already.

I bid into MDA because I wanted to be able to deliver a quality experience to the passengers I was responsible for. In the Dash 8, you could have the perfect flight, and still many passengers would come away disappointed (merely because of the aircraft). In the E-170 though, I listen to multiple compliments a day, from passengers whose expectations were exceeded. That is where i get my job satisfaction.

I have also been happy because I enjoyed working with some of the best people in the US Airways system. I had a blast and learned so much from the captains I flew with. I have nothing but the highest respect for the MDA flight attendants who do an outstanding job and are great to work with. And the mechanics, who labored long and hard to figure our new planes "quirks" out, and keep us flying deserve as much credit as possible.

So yeah, I will be disappointed to see any of that change, but in a situation like this, when you close one door, another opens. It is up to you if you want to stare backwards and be bummed about what was, only to miss the possible opportunities that might lie ahead.

So if I end up at Republic, I will continue to do everything I can to give our passengers a safe and enjoyable flight. If I am furloughed from MDA, and must do so from a different JFJ position, then that is what I will do...

Who knows, maybey I will be lucky enough to trade out my white uniform shirts for blue ones even...

But Republic will be lucky to get it's hands upon the hard working people that built MDA from the ground up and made it a success. Obviously I hope I get to be one of them from the start.Yet there are other options to explore if I do not get on with Republic just yet.

Remember, life is what you make of it.
[post="259533"][/post]​

Amen Rico....You said it all!

I'll be right there with you at Republic.

Light Years said:
Yeah but look who your friend is. Nothing is really known at this point.

They better get together a class of 400 or so F/As with a quickness if that ends up being the case. How do they plan to transition smoothly with no crews to staff the plane? The MAA F/As are not going to apply for a job at a cheesy commuter (hire me so I can pretend to be a US F/A, like I really am), nor are they going to be junior to a bunch of kids who have been flying for a year and are thrilled with thier $12K and 70 seat jet.

US Airways must be terrified about the details of this transaction coming out. Almost all of the MAA F/As will put in thier notice that day and return to furlough if the planes are definately going without them. These F/As are a tight bunch who act as a team. They have nothing to lose by quitting the division, they still have recall, and the company knows this. There may be no 170s flying at all for a few months.
[post="259740"][/post]​

Light Years

You're right. MAA F/A's are a team. If it ends up that we are rehired at the fabulous 12.00 an hour rate, I would imagine better than 95% would go back to furlough status with Mainline, and collect umemploymet. That's not a hard one to figure out. At least that is what I have been told.

If the F/A's would be making rock bottom at Republic busting their cans, they might as well collect UC. It would average out to be just about the same.

Again....no brainer

Latest posts

Back