Hubs, route structure, etc

PHX will only be TED flights.

One of the TPA/UA agents said they werent able to order Ted shirts for work any more. Not sure if this means Ted gone totally, Ted gone from TPA or just a new uniform altogether?

Also in regards to PHL/IAD and intl. If the flights are making money regardless of which city they are departing from, I would suspect to see them remain. There should be enough O&D with some conx traffic for most of the intl today to continue. If not, then those flights would disappear, but why drop flights from either place if they're making money?

Yes, as a short time N.C. transplant, we called this the "Mayberry Syndrome:" an inability to address the challenges and opportunities of a big city, because of engrained cultural mind-sets.
I just love how some people who move to NC complain about how terrible things are. A substantial number of people who live in Charlotte are NOT from Charlotte. My neighbors are from Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, Guatemala City, Mumbai, and Atlanta. I am the lone North Carolinian; and apart from the woman from Atlanta, I am the lone Southerner. If Charlotte sucks so bad, why are all these people moving here? Are they all masochists?

You can bad-mouth my little POS hometown of Charlotte all you like; no sweat from me, though. I say come on down (or over). My house is worth three times what I paid for it a mere four years ago. Mayberry's treating me just fine. And from what I hear, as the lowest-cost hub of any carrier in the USA, Charlotte/Douglas does quite well for my POS employer--US Airways.

I just love how some people who move to NC complain about how terrible things are. A substantial number of people who live in Charlotte are NOT from Charlotte. My neighbors are from Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, Guatemala City, Mumbai, and Atlanta. I am the lone North Carolinian; and apart from the woman from Atlanta, I am the lone Southerner. If Charlotte sucks so bad, why are all these people moving here? Are they all masochists?

You can bad-mouth my little POS hometown of Charlotte all you like; no sweat from me, though. I say come on down (or over). My house is worth three times what I paid for it a mere four years ago. Mayberry's treating me just fine. And from what I hear, as the lowest-cost hub of any carrier in the USA, Charlotte/Douglas does quite well for my POS employer--US Airways.

They are just bitter and jelous that they had to move from their rust-belt paradises. Next they try to impose their failed rust-belt ways on us and when we reject them, they just get more bitter and alienated. The good news is, after about ten years or so, they come around to our way of life and actually begin to contribute to the local culture. "Resistance is futal, y'all will be assimulated."

True true....I think a couple of people also work at the 2 community banks down on main street...doubt you've ever heard of them. Bank of America and Wachovia?

Doubt they do much flying though....Kenny (that's the president of both banks, its an easy job) sometimes rides up to a place called NEW York....don't know what makes it so special though...he could get to regular old York (S.C.) in a couple of hours by horse.
Cute. :rolleyes: Yeah, Kenny, et.al. has his corporate jets, otherwise, with the inter-tubes, why send anyone back and forth? Based on what I have read, the only reason to send people to CLT would be auditors followed by government agents.

Ah the great North/South argument rears it head once again.

The question that may be asked, since we're going back awhile is who finally won the PI vs. US war?

It's looking like PI (excluding PHL of course because as we all know no one will claim it as their own-if they do they better be ready to explain a lot of things).

See PHX there is nothing to worry about, the East is still busy trying to decide why so many from the north moved to CLT but next to none moved up north.

You begin to wonder why that is?

HEY Andy!

They are badmouthing Mayberry again.

No one understands what character this town has.

It's Saturday night and the the only sound downtown is gunfire.

Ain't Amuurica great?

Just think you could be in PHL where an older and I mean older woman, killed a fellow parishioner because the pastor/reverend was paying too much attention to another fellow parishioner.

If going to church is dangerous in Philly. imagine what God thinks of Mayberry?
I don't claim to know what God thinks nor where people sit when they are in His presence, but one thing I do know is that CLT is expanding and was the only place in the country that had positive home sales (in a bad market and economy)in whatever most recent report by realtors. Some other places have been in decline for decades.

Now that I've killed this thread I think it should be my responsibility to get it back on track.

No disrespect to anyone intended:

Like someone said if it makes money keep it.

IAD/PHL/CLT is a conundrum.

CLT offers S/E presence. IAD offers better operational reliability than PHL-both will remain with limited growth in PHL.

PHX is between a rock and a hard place LAX/SFO on one side DEN on the other. The only thing is that costs are probably lower-I'll go out on a limb and say PHX and DEN remain w/ satellites in CA and LAS due to lower costs and former HQ.

BOS/LGA/DCA no change except if forced in DCA.

Again no offense intended.

Becareful what you wish nailed it.

For the international traveller Washington Dulles is much more desireable location Philly.

I do not mean to offend anyone at all ... but let's face it are you going to grow your hub out of the nations capital or are you going to do it out of Philly. Philly just does not offer the same "appeal" as Washington. And to top it off the problems at Philly are ridiculous. I would bet you if you went to Tokyo, London, Paris or Rio and asked what city would you like to visit Washington or Philadelphia ....99% of those people would say Washington. The Philly international hub does not make sense over Washington.

CLT,PHL, PHX and LAS will be trimmed. The powerhouse operations will be ORD, IAD, DEN and SFO & LAX will get some growth.

Good luck all.

Becareful what you wish nailed it.

For the international traveller Washington Dulles is much more desireable location Philly.

I do not mean to offend anyone at all ... but let's face it are you going to grow your hub out of the nations capital or are you going to do it out of Philly. Philly just does not offer the same "appeal" as Washington. And to top it off the problems at Philly are ridiculous. I would bet you if you went to Tokyo, London, Paris or Rio and asked what city would you like to visit Washington or Philadelphia ....99% of those people would say Washington. The Philly international hub does not make sense over Washington.

CLT,PHL, PHX and LAS will be trimmed. The powerhouse operations will be ORD, IAD, DEN and SFO & LAX will get some growth.

Good luck all.

Don't most experts agree that in the event of a UA-US merger, the DOJ would require the combined carrier to give up slots in the DC area due to anti trust issues? If true, I think the combined carrier would shrink IAD and keep as many DCA slots as possible. If they decide to go the other way and keep or expand IAD that would mean we would have to shrink DCA. It would also mean PHL would shrink because we aren't going to have both PHL and IAD as international hubs. So to keep IAD would mean shrinking both PHL and DCA. If we kept PHL as the main hub, only IAD would need to shrink.

Latest posts