Midwest Hub/focus City

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for DFW (and Former ModerAAtor can correct me if my information is wrong), I understand that we and everyone else in terminal B will be moving to terminal E where DAL had their hub operation. Seems that AMR is moving the Eagle operation to B.

Jim

RowUnderDCA said:
DFW: midcontinent focus for HP/US.
[post="279515"][/post]​

Rule out the states within the Wright/Shelby perimeter. Then consider that AA pretty much beat back US at FLL in all of 3 or 4 months, and consider what would happen upon entry into DFW.

ClueByFour said:
Rule out the states within the Wright/Shelby perimeter. Then consider that AA pretty much beat back US at FLL in all of 3 or 4 months, and consider what would happen upon entry into DFW.
[post="279526"][/post]​

AA didn't beat back US in FLL. As usual they did to themselves.

Flights I crewed to PTY when that operated had customers saying US was a breath of fresh air after AA experiences in MIA. Too bad US marketing can't get it right.

Arrogance is not a virtue, by the way.

N924PS said:
AA didn't beat back US in FLL. As usual they did to themselves.

Flights I crewed to PTY when that operated had customers saying US was a breath of fresh air after AA experiences in MIA. Too bad US marketing can't get it right.

Perhaps. But the fact remains that US could not take on AA in their stronghold and win--the odds of it happening at DFW are equally (if not moreso) long.

Arrogance is not a virtue, by the way.
[post="279530"][/post]​

AA is the financially strongest legacy, the largest (or #2) airline in the world, has 3 billion in the bank. DL could not make it work at DFW. LUV is just across town and in the initial stages of getting Wright rolled back.

Snide comments are petty in the face of a reality check.

The United States has a few too many hubs right now as it is and the fiddlers at HP/US are actually discussing establishing yet another hub somewhere in the midwest?

Like it or not, we currently have plenty of overcapacity in the market for domestic hub/spoke legacy airline seats. Some hub reductions/closures have occurred over the past 10-15 years (DAY, PIT, IND, STL, DFW(DL), BNA, SJC, RDU and a few others) but more must happen.

If the combined HP/US is to survive, it probably needs to reduce a few of its current hubs; for a relatively small airline, HP/US has too many hubs.

Last week there was a report that the state of Ohio granted a tax
break to Republic for a mtc base in CMH.I believe 300k-500k for
12 years.Expected to create 300 plus jobs.Maintenance and also
crew base, with estimated new jobs added in mtc,pilots, and f/a's.

With that as a start, CMH could be a hub again for HP/US similar
to CVG with Delta.

I'll say it again when I think HP/US should wait on any decision until after Wright is either axed, changed, or upheld. They could survive at DFW if Wright is not abolished and there would be plenty of traffic for them for the large markets. I would also not see them setting up a true hub, something closer to a focus city but with the ability to connect the large markets together. It would be something where you would not get stuck on the east coast during thunderstorms or snow in the NE. I think the goal of this combined company is to allow people to connect east to west or vice-versa without making more than one plane change. This will be where they grow their passenger base, from other airlines' passenger ranks.

U management thinks it needs a midwest hub, eh? Based on U managements track history (and many other factors) opening a midwest hub would be one of the dumber (cash draining) projects U/HP could undertake ;)

Austin, Texas?

The old Bergstram AFB is now the new (5 or so years old) Austin airport. Seems there would be room for expansion there.

ClueByFour said:
STL is a non-starter. AA still maintains a sizeable focus city there (in essence to grab what chunk of the O&D market they can) and LUV has a significant presence, both of which would kill the yield out of a relalatively poor O&D market hub.

DEN is interesting, but the costs are astronomical and the only way to gain entry into the market would require both a UA failure and acquiring FRNT.
[post="279328"][/post]​

STL is not a focus city for AA, it is a hub. Even though it is half the size it once was, with 210+ daily flights, AA still calls it a hub.

USA320Pilot said:
One of the interesting debates on this message board was the discussion on whether or not the US Airways - America West merger would create a midwest hub or focus city. In my opinion, the new US Airways will create a midwest operation with options ORD (dependent upon UAl's ability to survive and not have to sell assets), STL, of DEN (possibly with Frontier).

Today the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said, "In response to recent questions from employees, America West Airlines appears not to have ruled out the creation of a Midwestern "focus city" as part of a merger with Eastern-heavy US Airways, but did acknowledge in a company newsletter that it was "unlikely in the short term."

I agree that there will not be a midwest hub/focus city in the near-term as the two companies work on integration issues, but I will be surprised if a midwest hub/focus city is not developed in the future, which could add 3 to 4 connecting transcon opportunities per passenger per day.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="279241"][/post]​
Still predicting everything under the sun............ :rolleyes:

Piney, OKC was talked about for years for Piedmont prior to being purchased by USAir. I do not know if we need another Hub, but a LGA operation should not be ruled out. With two 9800ft R/W and a 7800ft R/W the layout should be able to support a Focus City.

What stations in the midwest does Air Wisconsin operate? I think we are forgetting all the free expansion in the midwest we will be getting when the air whiskey partnership takes effect. I believe (pulling this out of my a$$) air whiskey has express stations in Appleton, Green Bay, Aspen, Jackson Hole, Fargo, ect, ect... All these staions are staffed by low cost express employees and have been up and running for years. These are cities U and U Express will be able to expand service to with no start up costs. Am I wrong? There are close to a million people within a 40 minute drive of Appleton Airport. That's just one of many new markets that will come available.

To add fuel to this rumor fire; the director of PSA ops and the director of ops at Air Wisconsin have had several meetings over the past few months. Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back