MIT Airline Researcher Swelbar Challenges Parker's Merger Proposal

US Airway's business plan looks like a jewel compared to Horton's "same old thing that hasn't worked for a decade" business plan. Horton's non-plan plan will Chapter 7 AA inside of 2 years. Of course, he'll be gone right after exiting BK, probably with a trunkful of cash and leave others to sweep up the wreckage.

Bill Swelbars's Swelbog column from yesterday raises serious questions about the sustainability of Parkers merger plan.

http://www.swelblog....five-weeks.html
I gave much thought to this also - that's not to say I'm an expert, however.

There was a time (in a galaxy far, far away) that Arpey, Horton, and Dougie Parker all worked at AMR under the watchful eye of Uncle Bob. They were known as the "Three Amigos" as they were, by all accounts, inseparable.

Arpey, whose daddy was a highly placed executive at United was eventually made American's prez and ceo when Carty was ordered by the BOD to fall on his sword to appease the unwashed masses, later to be cashiered himself by the AMR BOD. Dougie accepted a gig in charge at US Air and Horton got to go to AT&T to preside over their bankruptcy proceedings as CFO.

Their "friendship" is what I have issues with. Remember that Dougie's offers to AA's unions aren't binding and I believe we should seriously question and take with a truckload of salt (not just a grain) any so-called deal to "help out" AA's beleaguered and downtrodden masses.

My questions have more to do with the standard "screw over and lie to your employee" tactics of the industry than sustainability.

added 1253 17may2012

Probably even a greater probability is another C11 filing within two years by US Air to rid themselves of the pension onus should the "wedding" come about. It seems the PBGC threatened to snatch some unaccounted-for assets of AMR's if they continued the demand to terminate pensions - something about a foreign company's stock listing disappearing and other cloak and dagger stuff. This revelation came about, I believe, after Brundage's taking the 5th re: a question about undisclosed assets of the corporation tweeted from the courtroom and his subsequent "stepping down". I'm pretty sure there is a federal law against bankruptcy fraud and withholding facts from an investigation into such.

Any consensual contract will have to include, as a term of acceptance, Sepuku on the steps of Centrepork by the top 1000 executives.

"Vewwy Eenteresting" (insert Arte Johnson voiceover here).

There was a time (in a galaxy far, far away) that Arpey, Horton, and Dougie Parker all worked at AMR under the watchful eye of Uncle Bob. They were known as the "Three Amigos" as they were, by all accounts, inseparable.
Well, yes, until those pesky Texas DUIs did in Parker's career at AA after just five years and he moved on to NW. Arpey and Horton, on the other hand, worked at AA for many years together.

Arpey, whose daddy was a highly placed executive at United was eventually made American's prez and ceo when Carty was ordered by the BOD to fall on his sword to appease the unwashed masses, later to be cashiered himself by the AMR BOD. Dougie accepted a gig in charge at US Air and Horton got to go to AT&T to preside over their bankruptcy proceedings as CFO.
AT&T filed for bankruptcy? When?

Their "friendship" is what I have issues with. Remember that Dougie's offers to AA's unions aren't binding and I believe we should seriously question and take with a truckload of salt (not just a grain) any so-called deal to "help out" AA's beleaguered and downtrodden masses.
You've mentioned this alleged "friendship" several times. I'm skeptical that they're buddies. Is there any evidence that they're friendly? If anything, I see Doug Parker saying whatever it takes to the three unions in order to get AA's panties on the floor - after all, it's not as though he was ever in a position to run AA absent a hostile takeover. He wasn't on the short list in 2003 when Arpey was promoted and he wasn't offered the job on November 29 - Horton was.

I completely agree that Parker's proposals should be subjected to scrutiny, as he has a history of saying whatever it takes and then not following up with the promises.

Totally agree with the above two posts, be very wary of Parker.

Beyond that we should also be very wary of the creditors that have agreed to look into ALL ALTERNATIVES , not specifically mentioning just mergers.

Folks, this could mean anything but a merger including piecing us out, and that wouldn't include employees.

Reactions: 1 person
Totally agree wit the above two posts, be very wary of Parker.

Beyond that we should also be very wary if the creditors that have agreed to look into ALL ALTERNATIVES , not specifically mentioning just mergers.

Folks, this could mean anything but a merger including piecing us out, and that wouldn't include employees.

And your YES VOTE based on FEAR changed this how?

And your NO vote changed this how?

A labor deal may or may not keep us from breaking up, but if you were into sporting things like greasing the skids for a breakup, just keep voting no until they offer top of the industry pay.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not above making mistakes - this seems to be one as I can't find the info I thought I had read re: said filing.

Oh well - I was mistaken.
No worries. Probably felt like bankruptcy as SBC and AT&T shed jobs along with their merger.