etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
Airport may land major airline

US Airways in talks for route

BY WAYNE T. PRICE
FLORIDA TODAY Related news from the Web
Latest headlines by topic:

Melbourne International Airport is in talks with US Airways about adding service from Melbourne to Charlotte, N.C.

But, at this stage, it is just conversation, said Melbourne International Executive Director Richard Ennis.

"They were attracted to the incentives that the airport was prepared to offer," said Ennis, who briefed members of the Melbourne Airport Authority on Wednesday about his efforts to get additional carriers at Melbourne International. The airport would waive various landing and rental fees if US Airways started service from Melbourne.

"They're not exactly in a position to make a move yet," Ennis added. "As all airlines are right now, they don't want to take risks more than have to."

Ennis -- along with Brad DiFiore of Atlanta-based Sabre Consulting, the firm hired by Melbourne International to help the airport find more carriers -- met with US Airways representatives on Feb. 15 at the carrier's main office in Tempe, Ariz. US Airways also operates the former America West Airlines.

Valerie Wunder, a US Airways spokeswoman, confirmed that airline officials met with Ennis this month, but added, "There are no definite plans to make any changes to our Florida routes at this time."

Attracting new carriers has been a priority for Ennis since he became airport executive director almost a year ago.

But the finicky nature of the U.S. airline industry has hamstrung those efforts.

Also, Melbourne International is a relatively short drive to the much-larger Orlando International Airport, which has many more carriers and more competitive fares.

Delta Air Lines is the only major carrier operating at Melbourne International.

And although Delta is
expected to amass $1.375 million worth of incentives over two years -- in the form of waived charges on things like counter rental, baggage handling and landing fees -- it still cut its three daily nonstop flights to New York City and one of its two daily flights to Washington, D.C.

Ennis said, even with the incentives offered by airports, including Melbourne International, airlines are not jumping at chances to move into new markets.

"Even with incentives, an airline can lose a lot of money," Ennis said.

In a related issue, the seven-member Airport Authority agreed to spend $1,200 to have authority members and senior staff attend a one-day seminar on goal-setting and meeting objectives.

The Florida Institute of Government at the University of Central Florida would conduct the seminar.

Airport Authority member Richard Contreras, who recommended the seminar, acknowledged it can be tricky setting goals -- most notably attracting more passengers and carriers to Melbourne International -- with the current state of the airline industry.

"I want to establish a go-forward base line for Melbourne International Airport," Contreras said. "We're obviously at the mercy of the market and the mercy of the airlines. So we want to think in common sense fashion

It should read "re-enter" the Melbourne market. Old U pulled out of there about 10 or 15 years ago. I never understood why we at least did not serve Melbourne with small jets to CLT. Maybe 190s???

the pull out was the dismanteling of the lucrative PI intra florida market. Same happened with PS intra CA service.....

Just the way we did things back then. If it worked, cancel it.

But, it is a new era, be thankful for that!

i know united started service to DAB from IAD. let's hope airways comes to an agreement with the city of melbourne on this route.

the pull out was the dismanteling of the lucrative PI intra florida market. Same happened with PS intra CA service.....

Just the way we did things back then. If it worked, cancel it.

But, it is a new era, be thankful for that!
US pulled out of MLB in late 1997/early 1998 at the same time we closed down the DAB station.

right....as we dismantled what PI had created. They were the only intra FLA carrier at the time, and the routes made money. BUT, along came Business Select. f28's deployed north and 200's put on BS (no pun intended)

Maybe CLT and PHL, but I doubt PIT could sustain the route. My guess is it will end up being a commuter, or rj from CLT

This would just be an Express station anyway, so nothing for anyone to get excited about.
[/quote]

Wait a minute its Melbourne INTERNATIONAL Airport ! Break out the widebodies ! :lol:

i think it would be great to get back MLB and DAB may be from pit and clt if not phl or all three!

Absolutely! Please have your airline run (not walk, run!) today to place your order for the amazing new A380 airplane to fly between these hotspots and compete with the Aussies and SQ....

Wait a minute, nobody cares about any of these places or the silly Mr.Ennis ;)

Just sit tight. Soon WN will enter the market and all your pain and customers will go away.

... Same happened with PS intra CA service.....

Just the way we did things back then. If it worked, cancel it. <snip>

I don't know if you were employed here at the time, but an airline known as Southwest entered the Intra California market and offered $19 fares. DL and US stayed in the game for some time until losses could no longer be sustained...

Maybe you should put down your Piedmont Punch and pick up a newspaper sometime...

Latest posts