More cuts from LAS?

WN will add flights accordingly.

WN announced capacity reductions in 2009. LAS makes sense in a better economy. I can totally see where LAS now is not profitable. People and companies are cutting way, way back. In fact, I know of several Fortune 500 companies that now have a "no meetings in Vegas" policy.

Spin, this was not renegoitiated or wiped out completely during BKI or II?

The PIT ABS baggage system was funded through a government bond shared by US Airways and ACAA. US does not lease the baggage belt system, they in effect are co-owners. Only lease liabilities can be renegotiated or thrown out in BK court, not government bond liabilities.

LAS used to fly
3 CMH flights and now they'll have 0
They had 4 JFK flights and now they'll have 0
I'm surprised that they are cutting the Canada flights since WN doesn't fly there. WS has 8 or 9 daily flights and they seem to do very well.
US needs to restart those LAS night flights now that fuel is very low. Those were profitable routes.

Us really needs to distinguish itself. They have very low costs, they save money by selling everything on board so that should allow them to stay and fight for market share.

As far as HP running from WN, that never happened. WN tried for 25 years to eliminate them and it never happened. WN got bold only when the old US gave up all the west coast flights and ceded those to WN. Then WN got bold and ran them out of MCI, BWI and tried for PHL, but PHL is the line in the sand.
Lay offs suck and I hope that US will avoid them. The management needs to realize that no airline just gives you a hub. You have to work hard to get it and fight like hell to keep it. That's why AA has a nice hub in DFW & MIA. No one messes with them because they fight for it.

Hopefully there will be better management at US soon. I would suggest to those US employees in LAS to go and start looking for another airline job before the airline shuts down the whole LAS operation.

US come back to Reading (KRDG). They were profitable system-wide when they flew out of Reading. I'll even go back to flying US Airways!

I'm surprised that they are cutting the Canada flights since WN doesn't fly there. WS has 8 or 9 daily flights and they seem to do very well.

WN and WS are to start a marketing/codeshare type agreement soon. This could be a reason why the LAS-Canada flights were cut. WN has the feed to LAS to conx with WS if there isnt enough local traffic. Without US feed to LAS you have to have almost an entire plane of locals.

DALLAS, July 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines today announced its intention to build a codeshare partnership with Canadian carrier WestJet. The two airlines have completed the first step in creating a relationship that will eventually allow the carriers to offer Customers a seamless travel experience to a wide array of destinations. This initial agreement puts the two airlines on a path toward bringing more low fares and a better Customer experience across the U.S./Canadian border. The airlines plan to announce codeshare flight schedules and additional features regarding the partnership by late 2009.

AC also flies those routes. Maybe their will be some Star Alliance partnering on the flights. I know there's not a lot of though right now between AC and US.

Another poster earlier, I think hit it better with many companies having a no Vegas meeting rule. The recovery from this economic mess is likely to impact Vedgas for quite some time. You have to imagine that companies are nervous as can be to hold an incentive or recognition trip in Vegas for fear of the press or politicians from crying wolf for having a trip there.

That's great that fuel is down, but people aren't traveling. I would be interested to hear what the percentage is in drop of traffic in Vegas compared to the network.

Someone had mentioned that HP competed against WN for years. HP may have competed with WN by treading water. They by NO means showed WN who was boss. Granted the old US handed the west coast to WN on a silver platter. HP has NEVER forced WN out of market and quite frankly never will.

US has among the highest costs if you discount the regional RJ operators.

Jim

Not just "among", but the highest. 25% higher than Delta, twice as high as Southwest, our two biggest rivals in the east and west.

You can look it up.

Someone had mentioned that HP competed against WN for years. HP may have competed with WN by treading water. They by NO means showed WN who was boss. Granted the old US handed the west coast to WN on a silver platter. HP has NEVER forced WN out of market and quite frankly never will.

US did run WN off of the PHL-BDL, PHL-LAX- PHL-OAK (SFO for US, OAK for WN).
Once WN did fly to SFO. I don't know if WN left because they were losing money in SFO against HP (SFO-PHX) and because of UA.
WN is not infallible. WN was always bigger and more profitable than HP. It is amazing that WN tried for 25 years to eliminate HP out of the air and yet they stayed. HP never tried to run WN out of the air.
Now that WN does'nt have the cost or fuel advantage anymore we'll see how many markets WN will flee from when the competition heats up.

Now that WN does'nt have the cost or fuel advantage anymore we'll see how many markets WN will flee from when the competition heats up.
Wn has more than a 2 cent per ASM advantage over US mainline after fuel is taken out of the equation. The difference is even greater - over 6 cents per ASM - compared to US Express when fuel is removed.

Jim

Back