More Dfw?

FlyOnWall

Senior
Mar 22, 2004
With DL pulling thier hub at DFW I was wondering if US Airways might start some more flights. Delta will only fly to ATL SLC CVG down from a huge hub leaving AA with an even bigger monopoly. Maybe US could complement thier CLT PHL PIT service with DCA BOS LGA E170 or Airbus service?

:up: :up: :up:

I think that would be a great idea... beef up the focus cities with flights to a major O&D market (point to point) outside of the US Airways box (longer stage length).

Other airlines had no problem filling in where sensible when American cut back STL and for our pulldown in PIT. In fact, I believe Delta just announced PIT-FLL.

I think its a good opportunity for US to strenghen the focus cities and point to point service- isnt that the plan?

I also think they could serve AUS and SAT from CLT with 170s.

The problem with DFW is it lies WEST of the Mississippi. US is an EAST COAST airline and CCY cant vision anything of any importance in the West. Amazin.....

It appears to me that some of the schedule adjustments from DFW are in competition with USAirways.

Delta and Delta Connection carriers will begin new and/or additional service from Boston, New York-JFK, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa, Fla.; and Columbus, Ohio. The changes are as follows:

From Boston, Delta will offer 2 additional daily flights to Washington D.C. (total of 8); and 1 additional flight to Raleigh/Durham, N.C. (total of 4)
From New York-JFK: * 2 new daily flights each to Charlotte, N.C.; and Melbourne,
Pensacola and Tallahassee, Fla.

1 additional daily flight each, for a total of 3 each, to Greensboro, N.C and Jacksonville, Fla.
1 additional daily flight, for a total of 2, to Pittsburgh -- From Ft. Lauderdale:
2 new daily flights each to Dayton, Ohio and Norfolk, Va. * 1 new daily flight each to Charleston, S.C. and Richmond, Va. * 3 additional flights to Raleigh-Durham, N.C., for a total of 5
daily flights.

From Orlando: * 2 new daily flights to Knoxville, Tenn. * 1 new daily flight each to Asheville, N.C.; Gulfport, Miss.;
Lexington, Ky., Little Rock, Ark.; and Panama, City, Fla.

1 additional daily flight each to Birmingham, Ala.; Columbus, Ohio; Greenville/Spartanburg, S.C.; Pensacola, Fla.; and Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
From Tampa: * 3 new daily flights to Pensacola, Fla. * 2 new daily flights each to Dayton, Ohio; Greensboro, N.C., and
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.

Delta will also add 3 new daily flights between Columbus, Ohio, and Hartford, Conn., on Jan. 31.

luv2fly said:
It appears to me that some of the schedule adjustments from DFW are in competition with USAirways.
[
From Tampa: * 3 new daily flights to Pensacola, Fla. * 2 new daily flights each to Dayton, Ohio; Greensboro, N.C., and
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.

[post="177354"][/post]​

Its time to bring the Florida Shuttle back NOW! We already lost a lot of it to WN now we're going to give the rest to DL.
How are we going to compete with RJS to PNS when we cant carry a full load of customers AND THEIR BAGS to PNS on a Beechcraft? Might as well just drop it and run again. Chicken s*** boys.

tadjr said:
Its time to bring the Florida Shuttle back NOW! We already lost a lot of it to WN now we're going to give the rest to DL.
How are we going to compete with RJS to PNS when we cant carry a full load of customers AND THEIR BAGS to PNS on a Beechcraft? Might as well just drop it and run again. Chicken s*** boys.
[post="177358"][/post]​

I expect they will drop PNS-TPA. I always wondered why DL took so long to announce this route. DL is stronger than US in both markets. Plus, with US pulling mainline out of PNS, that's going to drive even more customers to DL (and Airtran).

All the Caribbean flights in the world won't save US if US can't compete domestically.

Well with the Air Midwest Beechcraft we're doing a pretty good job of driving ourselves out of the market. All of the new service from TPA was once operated by PI or US in the past. Cant run and hide anymore and its not the LCCs this time.

I dont get it. They cant or wont compete with the LCCs, but they wont compete with the also-weak network carriers either.

Between the PIT downsizing and SJ replacements, they are going to have a glut of mainline planes to actually fly big-boy, real city pairs that people want to fly on. They arent making money with what they are going now, why not try some new opportunities.

CynicalResAgent said:
Both DFW and IAH are such huge potential markets that if we offered service to DCA,BOS,LGA and FLL we could fill them all.
[post="177598"][/post]​

This may be true but US is pulling out of PIT-IAH this fall, so I can't say that bodes well for any point-to-point routes from IAH. With PHL-IAH now being all E170 and a couple of the IAH-CLT frequencies on the CRJ-700, I wouldn't be suprised to see IAH go "Mainline Express" this winter. I bet it'll happen at DFW as well.

sfb said:
This may be true but US is pulling out of PIT-IAH this fall, so I can't say that bodes well for any point-to-point routes from IAH. With PHL-IAH now being all E170 and a couple of the IAH-CLT frequencies on the CRJ-700, I wouldn't be suprised to see IAH go "Mainline Express" this winter. I bet it'll happen at DFW as well.
[post="177601"][/post]​

Yes what a shame to only have e170 to IAH. Hopefully not DFW too.

It seems like Delta might be pulling back on west of the Mississippi so that it can focus more on U's East coast strategy. Nothing helps Delta more than U failing- the quicker the better.

i think a dca/bos/lga to dfw would eb good as well as sat andsay elp from clt and phl and may be pit using either mainline jet or e-170......but wait this is usair the one that love to scramble out of all the other airlines ways!!!!! i gues usair doesnt like competition

USAir is good at one thing...running away. Besides, those cities are WEST of Mississippi and US doesnt consider anything to be of value if it isnt in the eastern time zone.

Sorry, but the logic just doesn't work. You slam US mgmt for pulling out of markets and leaving them to DL but you think US should go into major Texas markets that DL is abandoning because IT can't compete against AA. I don't know why anyone would think that US can compete against AA and CO (which have lower costs than DL) if they can't compete against DL.

Yes, US does have a severe lack of places to fly mainline aircraft. This alone seems to argue that US will file for bankruptcy, reject half of the fleet and as much of the associated costs, and try to come back as a half-sized carrier. I personally don't think it will work but that is where US seems to be headed. At that point, US mainline is left for a few major NE and Florida routes from its hubs, the Caribbean, and transatlantic (although I still sense alot of doubts that US will keep the 330s in a restructuring plan which I don't understand and would love for someone to explain to me.)

Are you all having a bankruptcy watch this weekend?

luv2fly said:
Delta and Delta Connection carriers will begin new and/or additional service from Boston, New York-JFK, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa, Fla.; and Columbus, Ohio. The changes are as follows:

From Boston, Delta will offer 2 additional daily flights to Washington D.C. (total of 8); and 1 additional flight to Raleigh/Durham, N.C. (total of 4)
From New York-JFK: * 2 new daily flights each to Charlotte, N.C.; and Melbourne,
Pensacola and Tallahassee, Fla.

1 additional daily flight each, for a total of 3 each, to Greensboro, N.C and Jacksonville, Fla.
1 additional daily flight, for a total of 2, to Pittsburgh -- From Ft. Lauderdale:
2 new daily flights each to Dayton, Ohio and Norfolk, Va. * 1 new daily flight each to Charleston, S.C. and Richmond, Va. * 3 additional flights to Raleigh-Durham, N.C., for a total of 5
daily flights.

From Orlando: * 2 new daily flights to Knoxville, Tenn. * 1 new daily flight each to Asheville, N.C.; Gulfport, Miss.;
Lexington, Ky., Little Rock, Ark.; and Panama, City, Fla.

1 additional daily flight each to Birmingham, Ala.; Columbus, Ohio; Greenville/Spartanburg, S.C.; Pensacola, Fla.; and Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.

Delta will also add 3 new daily flights between Columbus, Ohio, and Hartford, Conn., on Jan. 31.

[post="177354"][/post]​

I have been on this board for 2 years trying to get someone else to see Delta's game plan. Thats why I go by Deltawatch. They are going for the heart of the old Piedmont Airline system. They have been doing it for ten years. They are adding flights out of FLL to these cities. I think the new business plan has caused them to put that plan into high gear. If they don't do us in and we lower cost the plan is done .... and they are in big trouble. If we go under the plan worked and Delta is saved ...... If we don't reclaim RDU GSO ORF RIC AVL GSP CHS MYR ILM we're done. And Delta knows it!!!!!!

Latest posts