Will ORD-DCA service ever return?

az_wild727

Senior
Sep 13, 2005
PHX
Before the merger US Airways announced DCA and 6 cities service to ATL,IAH,DFW,CLE,ORD,DTW all nonstop from DCA using E170 jets. Over time these moved over to Republic, and even later 2 flights were AWAC w/ CRJ service. Now there are no DCA nonstops at all, and last I spoke to an ORD supervisor, they said it would be coming back in November 2006. Ive flown the ORD-DCA and DCA-ORD many times in 2005 and it was always full w/ a bunch of passengers connecting to the US Airways Shuttle flights to BOS and LGA. Why did they remove this great flight in the first place, and when(if ever will it show up)?

Before the merger US Airways announced DCA and 6 cities service to ATL,IAH,DFW,CLE,ORD,DTW all nonstop from DCA using E170 jets. Over time these moved over to Republic, and even later 2 flights were AWAC w/ CRJ service. Now there are no DCA nonstops at all, and last I spoke to an ORD supervisor, they said it would be coming back in November 2006. Ive flown the ORD-DCA and DCA-ORD many times in 2005 and it was always full w/ a bunch of passengers connecting to the US Airways Shuttle flights to BOS and LGA. Why did they remove this great flight in the first place, and when(if ever will it show up)?
We have STUPID management around here!!!!!!!

It may have to do with these May figures.....

OFD-DCA
MQ - 88.3% LG
UA - 84.0% LF
AA - 83.8% LF
ZW - 69.7% LF
RW - 54.8% LF

DCA-ORD
MQ - 89.8% LF
UA - 84.5% LF
AA - 81.5% LF
ZW - 75.9% LF
RW - 33.0% LF

Jim

It may have to do with these May figures.....

OFD-DCA
MQ - 88.3% LG
UA - 84.0% LF
AA - 83.8% LF
ZW - 69.7% LF
RW - 54.8% LF

DCA-ORD
MQ - 89.8% LF
UA - 84.5% LF
AA - 81.5% LF
ZW - 75.9% LF
RW - 33.0% LF

Jim

Of course, that's not necessarily the route's fault--some of that may have to do with the fact that many US customers refuse to set foot on a Republic plane.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if DCA-IAH will return? I heard that it was doing decent, but had to be dropped when it went from Mid Atlantic to Republic because Republic couldn't get crews trained fast enough.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if DCA-IAH will return? I heard that it was doing decent, but had to be dropped when it went from Mid Atlantic to Republic because Republic couldn't get crews trained fast enough.
Actually, I think it was because Republic could not take a full load out of DCA because they couldn't use a flaps 4 take-off. They were too cheap to get the runway analysis for this take-off configuration. The other factor was competition, IIRC, Continental increased their frequency to 8 times per day.

Actually even when CO did increase their flights. US still did very well. It was due to the lack of crew and planes. I have heard from the DCA station manager and IAH station manager that these are "suppose" to return in November. But they said that could change.

T

CleDcaCle...discontinued 12/05..flts oversold DcaCle good loads CleDca--why??

I'll never understand--but let's continue to BUILD the City Of Brotherly Love--yea right.. :down:

Before the merger US Airways announced DCA and 6 cities service to ATL,IAH,DFW,CLE,ORD,DTW all nonstop from DCA using E170 jets.

Well, as FutureUScapt mentioned, IAH-DCA also has gone by the wayside, as has CLE-DCA. I would expect that they gained little traction going up against CO in those two markets. The DTW-DCA numbers look like they were horrible all spring unless the service was only a single daily CRJ. I don't know that DCA-ATL, a once long-time mainline route, makes much sense anymore with both Delta and AirTran having a much stronger presence on the route -- unless there's strong core customer demand for US to continue offering it.

Ive flown the ORD-DCA and DCA-ORD many times in 2005 and it was always full w/ a bunch of passengers connecting to the US Airways Shuttle flights to BOS and LGA. Why did they remove this great flight in the first place, and when(if ever will it show up)?

I would argue that seeing a bunch of passengers connecting to the Shuttles to LGA and BOS actually argues against the viability of the route, since connections from ORD to LGA and BOS can certainly be made at PIT and PHL. Connecting traffic, especially in competitive markets like ORD-LGA/BOS, is probably going to be fairly low-yielding. The real value in serving a city-pair like ORD-DCA is in getting a share of the O&D traffic.

CleDcaCle...discontinued 12/05..flts oversold DcaCle good loads CleDca--why??

I'm sorry, but the DOT segment traffic numbers don't support your assertion.

Could it be that in their zealous rush to park 60 737's last year, they over downsized? Now we are depending on our co-*STARs (UA, AC) to take up the slack. Yet another way to outsource our jobs by this franchise.
LCC- Lost Career Carrier.

The DCA-ORD flights were some of the lowest load factor flts we had in DCA. Most never went out with more than 10 or 15 pax on board.Add that into ORD atc delays and you have a major loser of a route. I do hope they bring IAH back. Republic has dropped/picked up different cities almost monthly. ATL and DFW are 2 routes that have consistently good loads.

Latest posts

Back