More Lost Revenue For U

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
So I need to go to CLT for a day on Thursday returning Friday. I check US Airways and the lowest fare available is $994.00. So then my corporate travel agent calls and says the same 2 flights but booked on UA are only $773. Still high but $220 better! Same plane, same schedule, different ID on the ticket and no advance upgrade-I will have to wait at the gate.

So instead of being competitive and having a rational fare, US loses all the revenue except for the pittance they get in the code share to UA.

I am trying very hard to give US my travel dollars, and they are literally giving business away.

Oh well--at least I am accruing miles on US as well--yet another cost for them.

Sometimes I think the inmates are running the asylum.

My best to you all.....

Art,

I just did the same thing for my trip to DFW last week. Next week I have to fly to EWR and it's $801.00 on US. I may fly in to LGA instead and drive over.

Guess Dave doesn't care that US is not going to be around much longer. Too bad.

Art at ISP said:
So instead of being competitive and having a rational fare, US loses all the revenue except for the pittance they get in the code share to UA.
US gets all the revenue minus a transaction fee if US operates the flights. And, this pricing works both ways ... I've seen UA flights cheaper sold by US. This all depends how much inventory in each class each airline is allowed to sell. Remember US and UA CANNOT coordinate on pricing!

There is a lot of intrinsic wierdness with the codeshare system. It is not due to the mgt at U...it is the result of the antitrust issues with two "competitors" agreeing to share routes.

bofie said:
There is a lot of intrinsic wierdness with the codeshare system. It is not due to the mgt at U...it is the result of the antitrust issues with two "competitors" agreeing to share routes.
I have never seen a "native" US fare cheaper than the United codeshare fare on the same flight (US metal).

I've also yet to see a United metal flight where the US fare is less than the United "native" fare.

I guess they could exist, I've just never seen them.

Back