Obvious Things To Drive Revenue

ClueByFour

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I was speaking with a co-worker the other day who had just arrived in AMS from CLE (on US). A few things about his trip stood out to me as ways that US could save money and/or drive more revenue. The two that come to mind:

1. CLE-PIT-PHL-AMS was $300 cheaper than CLE-PHL-AMS. WTF? Yeah, I suppose the carrot is 2.5 hours less time in transit, but it strikes me that once you accept the better part of 20 hours in transit that someone set up with a mobile office might just take the $300 difference. This strikes me as dumb (although in US' defense, I'm quite sure that the routing was purchased thru our corporate engine and not US directly).

2. At PIT, the airport is providing free wireless. The club has nothing. No US club has wireless access. Both UA and AA have deals with T-mobile. I'd be willing to wager that T-mobile would be perfectly willing to ante up the costs of installing and operating the hotspots. While not driving any revenue from the hotspots themselves, it might give people a reason to actually join the club. This would cost US a grand total of nothing. I found it amazing that a US club member could not actually do any work in the club itself, but could walk down the stairs to the adjacent TGI Fridays, get a beer, and work for an hour on the airport's wireless.

The wireless issue is huge, IMHO. It's amost funny that US does not offer it in their clubs, especially in light of the fact that it could probably be offered at absolutely no cost to them.

ClueByFour said:
1. CLE-PIT-PHL-AMS was $300 cheaper than CLE-PHL-AMS. WTF? Yeah, I suppose the carrot is 2.5 hours less time in transit, but it strikes me that once you accept the better part of 20 hours in transit that someone set up with a mobile office might just take the $300 difference. This strikes me as dumb (although in US' defense, I'm quite sure that the routing was purchased thru our corporate engine and not US directly).
What's your point?

Clue,

an excellent idea. Today in our technology driven society, the business traveler wants to have access to the office and other business clients. So true is the old saying time is money.

Sitting in an airport being idle, when one can be productive is throwing money out the window. Take this idea a step further and add this to our first class section of our aircraft also.
Again it comes down to giving the customer what he/she wants in the traveling experience. Now you begin to offer a " PERK " for flying our airline. Business might be willing to pay a "LITTLE" extra for this service. Our valued business traveler wins and so does U with increased revenue.

Will management heed or continue to bleed ??????

JS said:
ClueByFour said:
What's your point?
Somebody paid to haul my co-workers butt the extra segment. Adding insult to injury, that segment was in F, so I'm sure somebody paid for a few extra drinks and whatnot.

Stupid, when you consider that it could have been on an RJ (that left CLE with empty seats, apparently).

ClueByFour said:
What's your point?
Somebody paid to haul my co-workers butt the extra segment. Adding insult to injury, that segment was in F, so I'm sure somebody paid for a few extra drinks and whatnot.

Stupid, when you consider that it could have been on an RJ (that left CLE with empty seats, apparently).
Seat inventory on each flight has a certain number of seats in each booking class. If a booking class sells out on one flight, you can't buy a ticket in that booking class for that flight.

Should there be open seats on a more direct routing at the gate, US will put you on that flight for a $25 fee (not sure if there's a standby charge in F).