More Money Out The Door

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Worked Express again this week. Yep, its still going on. Bags being left off, DBS being taken. Had a VPS/PFN flight booked for 16 (all showed) with 27 bags checked (less than the allowed 2 per person). Had to leave off 10 bags including several military duffel bags. Good thing we werent booked to 19 or we would have had to leave them all off.
Another case, booked to 18 to PNS. Managed to get 2 DBCs and could only take 6 bags. Luckily for us on this flight, the 18 customers had ONLY checked in 6 bags or we would have been leaving them off left and right.

And still no one gets it! :down:

Guess we wont have to worry when DL starts their RJS. We'll just give another route away, what's one more?

And MY MONEY keeps flowing out the door...

leave it to usair to get planes that cant full boat loads and the excess baggage that accompanies them! we have had situations at my expressed mainline station where we couldnt take both pax and bags full. in fact we had a 50 seat rj that ran from my city to clt for a short few months and left at least 20 bags and may be 10 to 20 pax off due to weight balance. we did get the mainline jet (only one) jet back. but for our pit flts, we continue from time to time leaving bags off in particualr the rj with tail numbers 801 and 802 sometime 803 and 804 depending on which craft and on the weather conditions

Beech 1900. Rumor is they are going to be phased out of Florida sometime in Jan anyway, but this type of nonsense and $ WASTE is going on systemwide and HAS BEEN for almost 2 years. This is but another reason why its hard to say, sure take my money, when I see waste on a daily basis.

What is DBS and DBC? Coworker took a 1:45 maintenance delay and bags didn't make it - is this related to weight and balance?? How do you determine which bag goes and which stays?'

Heinrich said:
What is DBS and DBC? Coworker took a 1:45 maintenance delay and bags didn't make it - is this related to weight and balance?? How do you determine which bag goes and which stays?'
[post="189767"][/post]​

DBS- Denied Boardings
DBC- Denied Boarding Compensation - Round Trip Flight Credit

Not sure. We do ocassionally have maintenance items that require more fuel or less weight, but it wouldnt necessarily have been the issue in this case. It might just have been weight restricted from the start.

Whichever bag is closest to the door or hasnt been loaded yet usually. The ramp guys are told how many they can take and they load what they can.

I used to try to take the time to make sure the "special" bags stayed on, but this particular time of the night there are 4 planes on the ground at the same time and only me to work the customers on the ramp. I unfortunately dont have the time to supervise the bags being taken off the plane while boarding/deplaning 3 other flights and the guys do what needs to be done to get the plane off the gate once we know what can be taken.

If it's weight restricted then why is this a USAir problem? Why is it a management or a transformation plan issue?

Because management hires Air Midwest (Mesa) or anyone else with a plane to fly the routes, US knows the performance statistics of the airplane and know they cant handle a full load of passengers and bags.

Yes and it is management who makes the contracts for lift with other carriers, not rank and file employees.

Heinrich said:
If it's weight restricted then why is this a USAir problem? Why is it a management or a transformation plan issue?
[post="189781"][/post]​

Whos problem would it be if its not a "USAir" problem? People see USAirways on the plane and when they arrive, but their bag doesnt, its "USAIRWAYS" problem.
I never said it was a transformation plan issue. Its been ongoing for almost 2 years. It is a management problem though in the fact that I cant set the authorizations for booking and neither can the poor agent I spoke to in Ft Walton twice this week to advise that we were leaving bags off the plane AGAIN!!! Thats the problem, its AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. Get the picture here about whats wrong? I've advised my managers (who both get the denied boarding report as well as the baggage charge backs) and they've talked to the upper muckety mucks who seem to not give a flying flip, so the next time someone doesnt get their bag because of this known problem, management is to blame for not making Air Midwest set a realistic booking level for the way they 1) plan fuel 2) run their ops (why they carry a 45 pound spare tire around on each plane instead of just leaving one at every city they fly into is beyond me. Thats 1 bag per flight right there that they could be flying, not to mention the excess weight on a normal day).

I forgot to mention the entire "extra section" flight they sent to Key West on Thursday to take the 14 bags they left off the earlier plane that took all 19 people booked. Since everything else was full and they werent going to get the bags that had been left off for 2 days by air or a $600 delivery charge, they ran an extra plane to carry the bags down later in the day! :shock:

To me this is along the same lines as watching someone come into your business once a week and just walking out with something. You see them taking money out the door, yet you do nothing to stop the loss.

700UW said:
Because management hires Air Midwest (Mesa) or anyone else with a plane to fly the routes, US knows the performance statistics of the airplane and know they cant handle a full load of passengers and bags.

Yes and it is management who makes the contracts for lift with other carriers, not rank and file employees.
[post="189782"][/post]​

Wouldn't Continnental Express, American Eagle, Delta Connection, and others have the same problem?

not necessarily. I think these performance issues are a direct result of inflated pax/bags weights established by AirMidwest post CLT crash. Which, BTW, was attributed to improper contract maintenence by Ratheon, not directly the load of the plane.

So let's not flame the plane, anyone who has piloted one will tell you it's overpowered....it's a number's game, plain and simple.

Now AIrMidwest and their shoddy operation...another topic entirely!!!

the turtle said:
not necessarily. I think these performance issues are a direct result of inflated pax/bags weights established by AirMidwest post CLT crash. Which, BTW, was attributed to improper contract maintenence by Ratheon, not directly the load of the plane.

So let's not flame the plane, anyone who has piloted one will tell you it's overpowered....it's a number's game, plain and simple.

Now AIrMidwest and their shoddy operation...another topic entirely!!!
[post="189866"][/post]​
All carriers have had pax weight and bag numbers revised by the FAA since the Air Midwest crash. The way it is accounted for depends on each individual program/POI. It has created/worsened the problem for everyone. On the CRJ200 there was usually never a problem now with an alternate it can get very tight. an increase of 1000# in the landing weight would correct the problem. The carriers/operators need to talk to the aircraft manufacturers about this.

I would like to add that although US' management of the situation could be part of the problem, the E145 is a pig. It has very poor takeoff performance. If you don't believe me, go on their website and look up the numbers for this aircraft versus the two shorter models. You will see that you need at least 7500 feet of runway for max performance, that is just inexcusable for a plane to be used for small route flights. One would think that small routes would be into shorter fields, not big, long runway setups. I know from firsthand experience, watching these darts takeoff from my home airport, that their weight-and-balance problems prevent them from being utilized to their full potential.

Latest posts