More Money To Spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIME FOR CHANGE

Veteran
Feb 9, 2003
mia
American Airlines Celebrates Independence Day With an Admirals Club Lounge in Honolulu
Tuesday June 28, 4:48 pm ET
Club in Honolulu Airport Offers Convenience and Quiet Escape

HONOLULU, June 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Just in time for the Fourth of July holiday, American Airlines is opening an Admirals Club® lounge for members in Honolulu. American shares the club with oneworld partner Qantas Airways.
The club, which began operating June 27, is located airside in the Ewa Concourse, on Level 3 above Gate 26, making inter-island connections easy for customers. Admirals Club customers can take advantage of the many amenities the lounge offers, including:

* Showers
* Work stations equipped with telephones and computers
* Complimentary high-speed Internet
* Fax
* PC data ports

"We're pleased to offer this club in response to feedback from customers who have told us they want the convenience of an Admirals Club lounge in Honolulu," said Nancy Knipp, Managing Director of Premium Services for American. "We're providing members with a lounge that offers a quiet retreat for working or relaxing, away from the hustle and bustle of the airport."

American wants every customer to experience the productivity, comfort and convenience offered at its Admirals Club lounges worldwide. The Admirals Club One-Day Pass is a great way for anyone to experience the many Admirals Club amenities. The day pass is available to anyone 18 or older and can be purchased online at AA.com for just $50 -- an affordable price to pay for everything the Admirals Club lounges have to offer. AAdvantange® membership is not required. For more information on Admirals Clubs, including Admirals Club membership and one-day pass information, log on to http://www.aa.com/admiralsclub .

Admirals Club lounges represent the ultimate in care and comfort for members, offering personalized service at major airports throughout the world. Every Admirals Club member can enjoy professional service from American Airlines representatives at the club, who will assist with AA ticketing transactions, seat assignments, boarding passes and electronic upgrades.

The Honolulu club is open from 11:30 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. each day. Complimentary snacks, juice and soft drinks are offered.

American operates more than 40 Admirals Club locations in airports throughout the world, each offering a host of business tools and convenient services in a professional, secluded environment. American Airlines is expanding its network to better serve its members. In addition to Honolulu, American is opening new clubs in 2005 in Dallas/Ft Worth, New York's John F. Kennedy, and Miami. There has never been a better time to experience the Admirals Club lounges.

About American Airlines

American Airlines is the world's largest airline. American, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection® regional airlines serve more than 240 cities in over 40 countries with more than 3,800 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 1,000 aircraft. American's award- winning Web site, AA.com, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve more than 600 destinations in over 135 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation (NYSE: AMR - News).

I take it from your subtitle that you do not approve. Why? The AAdmiral's Clubs have proven to pay for themselves many times over. No, SWA and JBLU do not have them. But, then neither do they have a First Class cabin or International service--other than JetBlue's short hops to the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The AAdmiral's Club is there to provide services to a class of customer that we have that SWA and JBLU do not have--a customer willing to pay more for his/her ticket to get more. Club members pay an annual membership fee, and it is the same whether they use the club 100 times during the year or only once.

Back in the day when I was a road warrior myself, I belonged to the AAdmiral's Club, the Ionosphere Club (Eastern), and the President's Club (Continental). I wanted to make sure that no matter what major airport I was stuck in, I had a comfortable (and quiet) place in which to work or rest. It is also why I did NOT fly SWA on business. I only flew SWA for leisure travel if there was no other way to get there non-stop--there was a (mercifully, short) period of time when SWA was the only airline offering non-stop service between Houston where I lived and Birmingham where I grew up.

Different strokes for different folks, don't you know.

seems to me you dont need the clubs to be profitable. SWA and jetblue are prime examples. It is just another added exspense. And the business traveler who use to spend the big bucks has become quite the minority today. Its the cheapest fare to and from that sells tickets. Not the lounge at a few airports, 40 to be exact. Another example of the failing business model. Competition will not be won at the Admirals club :p

jimntx said:
I take it from your subtitle that you do not approve. Why? The AAdmiral's Clubs have proven to pay for themselves many times over. No, SWA and JBLU do not have them. But, then neither do they have a First Class cabin or International service--other than JetBlue's short hops to the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The AAdmiral's Club is there to provide services to a class of customer that we have that SWA and JBLU do not have--a customer willing to pay more for his/her ticket to get more. Club members pay an annual membership fee, and it is the same whether they use the club 100 times during the year or only once.

Back in the day when I was a road warrior myself, I belonged to the AAdmiral's Club, the Ionosphere Club (Eastern), and the President's Club (Continental). I wanted to make sure that no matter what major airport I was stuck in, I had a comfortable (and quiet) place in which to work or rest. It is also why I did NOT fly SWA on business. I only flew SWA for leisure travel if there was no other way to get there non-stop--there was a (mercifully, short) period of time when SWA was the only airline offering non-stop service between Houston where I lived and Birmingham where I grew up.

Different strokes for different folks, don't you know.
[post="279463"][/post]​

I believe that know one is questioning whether or not an Admirals Club pays for itself or not. What I want to know is where they obtain the funding to build new clubs?

Could it be off of the backs of the employees who gave concessions?

TIME FOR CHANGE said:
seems to me you dont need the clubs to be profitable. SWA and jetblue are prime examples.
[post="279483"][/post]​

Oh, so the only way to do business is the way that SWA and JetBlue do it? Granted they are making money right now, but the day of reckoning for JB is coming soon. Their sweetheart deal with Airbus is due to come to an end soon.

Why not extend this line of reasoning? Say, for instance, KIA is making money; so, the only way to build and design cars is the way that KIA does it. KIA serves a particular market segment. Lexus serves another. That's what makes a market economy. Markets are served or not served depending upon demand.

I can assure you that if there was not a demand for AAdmiral's Clubs and if there were no payback to them, the company would shed them in a second. Believe me, (other than executive pensions :lol: ) there are no sacred cows at AMR anymore.

Buck said:
I believe that know one is questioning whether or not an Admirals Club pays for itself or not. What I want to know is where they obtain the funding to build new clubs?

[post="279486"][/post]​

Give it a rest. Members pay dues that fund the clubs

mrman said:
Give it a rest. Members pay dues that fund the clubs
[post="279495"][/post]​

Give it a rest?

Never!

As close as the TWU and the company are the dues most likely go directly into AMR's bank account.

They've closed the flagship lounge where I am. They merged it with the club. No more $140 scotch. Everything in there has to be bought now, it' a money maker. Have they done this elsewhere? I wish they would devote as much effort to keep the planes clean.

TIME FOR CHANGE said:
seems to me you dont need the clubs to be profitable. SWA and jetblue are prime examples. It is just another added exspense. And the business traveler who use to spend the big bucks has become quite the minority today. Its the cheapest fare to and from that sells tickets. Not the lounge at a few airports, 40 to be exact. Another example of the failing business model. Competition will not be won at the Admirals club :p
[post="279483"][/post]​

You seem to forget that AA has other competitors beside Jet Blue and SWA. Competitors like UAL, Britush Airways, Japan Airlines, ANA, Air France, Lufthansa. Alitalia etc, etc, etc.

< http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexLoungefood.html >

jimntx said:
Oh, so the only way to do business is the way that SWA and JetBlue do it? Granted they are making money right now, but the day of reckoning for JB is coming soon. Their sweetheart deal with Airbus is due to come to an end soon.
[post="279488"][/post]​

Do you have a source for this rumour, that jetblue managed to get a deal better than any other airline, if so, I would love to see it? Certainly heard it a bunch of times, but have yet to see anyone actually produce any proof.

D8

Good grief. :rolleyes:

AA slaps a sign on QF's existing HNL club and whiners cry about "where does the money comes from??"

Perhaps from the dues from customers. Here's the schedule of Admirals Clubs dues:

https://www.aa.com/content/travelInformatio...ngAMember.jhtml

If the clubs didn't pay for themselves, does anyone really think AA would keep them or open new/renovated clubs? The airline that canceled pillows on domestic flights to save $675k per year?

Yes, the capital budget comes from the backs of the employees. As do all the dollars AA spends each year. Over $18 billion this year. Oh, wait, that's right - the represented employees gave up only $1.6 billion, not $18 billion. But that won't stop juvenile whining each time someone sees AA spending money. Sheesh.

Bottom line: QF provided much of the captial spending and annual operating $$$ for the new LAX clubs (AC and FL) and now AA gives QF a few dollars so that AC members can enjoy a quite respite at HNL.

You do know that AA is building new ACs at JFK, DFW and MIA, right? Where is all the money coming from??

:rolleyes:

Buck said:

[post="279486"][/post]​

You answered your own question: the clubs pay for themselves.

Business 101: you see a money making oportunity, write a business plan, borrow money and invest it. The revenue flows allows you to repay the loan and pocket a profit.

FWAAA said:
You do know that AA is building new ACs at JFK, DFW and MIA, right?  Where is all the money coming from??

:rolleyes:
[post="279606"][/post]​

From Us.

You can try and say the passengers but since the passengers dont pay enough to cover the costs of providing the service the company expects us to make up the difference. SWA pays $20k more per year, they dont provide costly perks or have 1st class seat "modules" that will never pay for themselves or Admirals clubs and they still make a profit. If SWA is an LCC then what is AA-an Even Lower Cost Carrier? It seems that AA has not changed their business plan, they want to provide 1st class service but have the employees fund it by working for wages that are lower than their biggest LCC rival-SWA.

As far as the Dues go, most members are probably comp. I doubt most of the Celebrities get brought through it are members and most of the businessmen that use it probably get as part of a package deal that their company has with AA.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

--Herbert Spencer

jimntx said:
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

--Herbert Spencer
[post="279638"][/post]​

"A Sucker is born every day'

PT Barnum

Status
Not open for further replies.