More Money To Spend

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimntx said:
I would say that anyone who continues to work for a company and a union that he/she is convinced is totally wrong and is screwing over the workers is the real sucker.
[post="279649"][/post]​

You may have a point. In your case maybe you just like getting screwed, what does that make you?

Bob Owens said:
From Us.

You can try and say the passengers but since the passengers dont pay enough to cover the costs of providing the service the company expects us to make up the difference. SWA pays $20k more per year, they dont provide costly perks or have 1st class seat "modules" that will never pay for themselves or Admirals clubs and they still make a profit. If SWA is an LCC then what is AA-an Even Lower Cost Carrier? It seems that AA has not changed their business plan, they want to provide 1st class service but have the employees fund it by working for wages that are lower than their biggest LCC rival-SWA.

As far as the Dues go, most members are probably comp. I doubt most of the Celebrities get brought through it are members and most of the businessmen that use it probably get as part of a package deal that their company has with AA.
[post="279637"][/post]​

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. Are you saying we should dump all the Admirals Clubs so we can be more like SWA? Like I said before we don't compete with just SWA. We also compete with international carriers that have top notch lounges for their premium customers. Why do you think AA is spending money to upgrade the interiors of the 767-300 with new biz class seats, sidewall panels, IFE, and ovehead bins? Not because we are competing with SWA but because we are competing with airlines that have a better product on international routes.

Bob Owens said:
You may have a point. In your case maybe you just like getting screwed, what does that make you?
[post="279650"][/post]​

I'm not being screwed. I took the job knowing the requirements and the pay. I enjoy being a flight attendant. I never expected to get a pension or rich from the job.

My point is that in 40+ years of working, I have had 5 "careers" and 20+ jobs. I never stayed at any job where I was unhappy or I felt I was not being treated fairly. Life is way too short to go somewhere every friggin' day where I am miserable.

Back to the original poster's point, Admirals Clubs are one of the many reasons why corporate accounts choose network carriers over LCCs. You can't think of everything in terms of how Joe Leisure Traveler makes his purchasing decisions.

jimntx said:
I'm not being screwed. I took the job knowing the requirements and the pay. I enjoy being a flight attendant. I never expected to get a pension or rich from the job.

My point is that in 40+ years of working, I have had 5 "careers" and 20+ jobs. I never stayed at any job where I was unhappy or I felt I was not being treated fairly. Life is way too short to go somewhere every friggin' day where I am miserable.
[post="279653"][/post]​

Jim, not everyone is like you. No personal slander here, just a simple question. Of your 5 careers and 20+ jobs how many needed training? Did you invest time and money in any of these jobs because it was a goal of yours to perform one of these careers?

You see, as far as AMTs go we were drawn to this profession for several different reasons. Much like other careers draw other individuals. Personally, and I am confident that thousands of other AMTs feel the same way, I invested time, 4 years, in the USAF to learn my trade and continued it with college. I then, and still do, continue my trade every day I go to work because you learn something different every time an aircraft needs an AMT. I entered this trade because I like to work on a/c using both my hands and brain. I accept the responsibilities that come with touching an a/c and letting it carry people. There was a romance and pride issue that attracted me... and still does. Now, with that said I am NOT willing to just go somewhere else because I am unhappy. If that was the case where would anyone be?

My point is I too understand that I was not going to get rich doing this profession. But I did and still do expect to be compensated for my abilities and responsibilities. It will take perseverance and determination to correct the evils that have been committed upon our industry. It will also take people willing to stand up when they are miserable every friggin' day to make things better. I hope that you are still around after people who are not easily to quit when times are tough and do make things better. It would be a shame for you to not enjoy the sacrifices that are needed to make right what is wrong. ;)

Another thread hijacked into the never ending plight of the skilled working man....

I only wish AA employees could buy a membership to the Club like UA's employees can.

They're a great place to be at the airport and not feel like you're at the airport... No kids running around, no PA announcements or CNN Airport Channel noise, and a full service bar that's not shared by a hot dog stand....

Another thread hijacked into the never ending plight of the skilled working man....

I only wish AA employees could buy a membership to the Club like UA's employees can.

They're a great place to be at the airport and not feel like you're at the airport... No kids running around, no PA announcements or CNN Airport Channel noise, and a full service bar that's not shared by a hot dog stand....

Well may be if they didnt steal, without further ratification, 20 K a year from me I would be able to enjoy the perks of another carriers lounge. like UA's :D

j7915 said:
You answered your own question: the clubs pay for themselves.

Business 101: you see a money making oportunity, write a business plan, borrow money and invest it. The revenue flows allows you to repay the loan and pocket a profit.
[post="279635"][/post]​

I stated new clubs.

The forum has indicated that AA took over an existing facility.

Business 101: When are we going to get paid back?

Buck said:
I stated new clubs.

The forum has indicated that AA took over an existing facility.

Business 101: When are we going to get paid back?
[post="279747"][/post]​

Buck, you are penny wise pound foolish. It does not matter if AA took over an existing facility, or created new AC. The clubs require membership dues and thus pay for themselves. which is why Tulsa does not have one; not enough potential customers.

j7915 said:
Buck, you are penny wise pound foolish. It does not matter if AA took over an existing facility, or created new AC. The clubs require membership dues and thus pay for themselves. which is why Tulsa does not have one; not enough potential customers.
[post="279754"][/post]​

I would rather be "penny wise pound foolish", than a defender of Industry Leading Concessions, and a Cheerleader for Corporate Welfare at the working man's expense. Or the advocate for lowering pay and benefits in exchange for jobs. When Walmart lowers pay and working conditions to create jobs and sell cheap it is a crime. When AA and the TWU do it, they are good and worthy of praise?

TWU informer said:
I would rather be "penny wise pound foolish", than a defender of Industry Leading Concessions, and a Cheerleader for Corporate Welfare at the working man's expense. Or the advocate for lowering pay and benefits in exchange for jobs. When Walmart lowers pay and working conditions to create jobs and sell cheap it is a crime. When AA and the TWU do it, they are good and worthy of praise?
[post="279760"][/post]​
Don't you think there is a difference between walmart (minimum wage, no health benefits, no work rules-in some cases the employees have to be available for work any time day or night at the companies whim, no pensions, and no retiree health care) and AA ($30 an hour with benefits, with work rules-scope, meal periods, defined shifts, pensions, and other retirement benefits.) To say that AA is just like walmart is foolish.

I think the big question is what happened to the $140 a bottle scotch in the flagship lounge.

aafsc said:
Don't you think there is a difference between walmart (minimum wage, no health benefits, no work rules-in some cases the employees have to be available for work any time day or night at the companies whim, no pensions, and no retiree health care) and AA ($30 an hour with benefits, with work rules-scope, meal periods, defined shifts, pensions, and other retirement benefits.) To say that AA is just like walmart is foolish.
[post="279788"][/post]​

Why do you and J7915 condone twenty years of concessions?

You believe just because there are low cost alternatives that the union employees at American Airlines should concede their wages and benefits for jobs and dues generation for the union.

If you two like the Wal-Mart concept so much you could work there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts