My Letter To Lakefield And A Reply

Doc

Veteran
Jul 15, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Mr. Lakefield,

How on earth can you expect the rank and file to follow such an inept leader? You have shown no empathy toward your workers, continually want them to shoulder the burden of high fuel cost all the while you and your crew don't take half the hit. This company has never been a leader except in bad management. Always a follower in all aspects, never an original thought. You sir have no understanding of customer service, Making the customer go to a counter away from the gate which by the way has only one agent how in the world can you expect business men to keep flying if you can't even help them when they are running late, by the way the highest paying passenger usually is the business man who you now punish for getting to the airport 30mins before departure. You boys at the top have no clue, now you want us to make less and deliver a product that you have destroyed.

I am embarrassed to work for USAirways as you should be embarrassed on how you are running it.

Again everyone with their own agenda. Management has been cut 50 million out of 200 while half our unions did the side step. We reduced the ranks by over 200 people and officers from 36 to 24. We have also lost many senior people to the competition or outide the industry. We are walking a fine line to keep the company in business and we do need management to achieve success. The creditors are in charge. Fuel costs are high and we have no money or assets to use. No cuts, no company, no jobs. Good or bad management the path was paved before I ever got here

boy what an excellent letter. except i would have used curse words. now dont expect anything to be done as this is the typical crap that the vampires running the show goes.!

Doc said:
Mr. Lakefield,

How on earth can you expect the rank and file to follow such an inept leader? You have shown no empathy toward your workers, continually want them to shoulder the burden of high fuel cost all the while you and your crew don't take half the hit. This

Doc,
I would suggest a more businesslike and cordial tone, as with with any business letter or letter of complaint. Yes, I was royally annoyed with [brand xxx] car rental after a recenttrental (over several issues) but kept my letter in a polite tone. They resolved the problem more less to my satisfaction, Would I have received the same resolution with nasty namecalling? Perhaps and perhaps not.

But the rule in any such communcation is to be polite while being firm.

Doc said:
Again everyone with their own agenda. Management has been cut 50 million out of 200 while half our unions did the side step. We reduced the ranks by over 200 people and officers from 36 to 24. We have also lost many senior people to the competition or outide the industry. We are walking a fine line to keep the company in business and we do need management to achieve success. The creditors are in charge. Fuel costs are high and we have no money or assets to use. No cuts, no company, no jobs. Good or bad management the path was paved before I ever got here
[post="201390"][/post]​

"Again everyone with their own agenda", this is coming from a man who refused to take a part in any sort of pay cut because, he has to pay for a second home and according to him, his 450,000 salary is just a pimple.

When he says "half our unions did the side step" thats his way of saying your previous and present sacrifices mean nothing unless you give me the ultimate sacrifice, your job ! :down:

Sure wish my day to day problems included a second home and that nasty $450,000.00 pimple, er I mean salary.

linemech

Dont call me Shirley said:
Doc,
I would suggest a more businesslike and cordial tone, as with with any business letter or letter of complaint. Yes, I was royally annoyed with [brand xxx] car rental after a recenttrental (over several issues) but kept my letter in a polite tone. They resolved the problem more less to my satisfaction, Would I have received the same resolution with nasty namecalling? Perhaps and perhaps not.

[post="201401"][/post]​

Excellent advice!

Dont call me Shirley said:
Doc,
I would suggest a more businesslike and cordial tone, as with with any business letter or letter of complaint. Yes, I was royally annoyed with [brand xxx] car rental after a recenttrental (over several issues) but kept my letter in a polite tone. T. . .
[post="201401"][/post]​

I agree completely, the tone was rude and offensive. Im surprised he even responded to such a crass letter. Im sure he didn't raise his opinion of the "rank and file" with this little gem. I hope this isn't the posters normal MO with dealings in the business world. I don't care how angry the author was or how badly he percieved Mr. Lakefiield's management, frankly I'm embarrased FOR the poster!!!! :down:

I agree...DCMS is right on. The minute you open a letter with an attack all you will get is a defensive response. Anything productive that you had to say after that was lost.

Well, Not sure I agree with all of you but everybody has their opinion. I am angry as many of the rank and file and no I am not embarrassed at all.
These guys should be wearing a mask and have guns in their hands and you want me to be polite.........

Rude management deserves a rude letter. No, Doc is right on target. Sometimes the truth (a really shi**y company to work for) cannot be sugar-coated in a "cordial tone."

Doc said:
Well, Not sure I agree with all of you but everybody has their opinion. I am angry as many of the rank and file and no I am not embarrassed at all.
These guys should be wearing a mask and have guns in their hands and you want me to be polite.........
[post="201430"][/post]​

well, I understand emotions are high, it is I just don't think you get anywhere coming off in that way. You know, the old saying.. . you catch more flys with honey. . . At this point I dont think it matters anyway, it is going to play out as it will and it doesnt look good. I think you can make your point and express your dissapointment without offending. Just my opinion.

The answer was only because the letter was public. Lakefield and his execs will take their golden parachutes and bail at the end. He's just trying to absolve himself of responsibility.

The tone of the letter is a perfect example of how a lot of the employees at UAIR have been for a long time. The junior people use to be able to smooth things over for the "dinosaurs" when they were there and now there is no on to do that. If you have an attitude like that with Lakefield I'd bet money that same tone is conveyed to the customer. Then you have the b%**s to blame Lakefield for issues that he inherited. Amazing!!

Wow, you and your attitude are going to have tons-o-fun trying to find a new job Doc, Hope you are an oscar-caliber actor, because outside your unionized "fantasy world", such an inflated sense of entitlement and monster-sized "chip on your shoulder" will get you nowhere fast...

What exactly is Mr lakefield supposed to do? His salary is VERY competitive compared to that of other airline execs and I believe much of our problems existed before he took over. Where is the anger for the employees of our competition that either work cheaper than we do or are more productive? Isn't that what gives them an advantage over us enabling them to charge lower fares and putting this downwward pressure on our pay and benefits? Does Mr Lakefield want us to take these huge cuts just to increase our profit margin? HELL NO. There is NO profit. We're losing our a$$. Bring fuel costs down and we'll STILL lose our a$$.

This company cost too much to operate. We reduce the costs or go away. Why are you people taking this personally. This is no grand conspiracy. This is capitalism. This is supply and demand. It is survival of the fitest. It's the price of doing business in a hostile environment.
Are you all worth more money and benefits? Most of you are, but your neighbor took a job working for a LCC working harder for less money.

Get ticked off at him! I did and now I feel better!!!

A320 Driver

Latest posts