My Letter To Lakefield And A Reply

A320 Driver said:
Oh, and by the way. If I was CEO and you wrote me a letter like this, I'd fire your sorry a$$.

A320 Driver
[post="201505"][/post]​

I guess it doesn't take a member of Mensa to figure out your limitations. :blink:

A320 Driver said:
What exactly is Mr lakefield supposed to do?

A320 Driver
[post="201503"][/post]​

work for 1.00. that would show leadership. would i expect him to live on 1.00, no but if he took options/stock at current price, there by demonstrating confidence in the survivability of the company would again inspire confidence. SO with one gesture, you offer leadership and confidence to the employees. then if HIS ability is worth anything the company survives, if the company survives the stock moves way up from about what 1.00 (of course a move to only 5.00 =500 %). so with say 1million options/shares, he would make 5.0mil. or more than 1.0 mill a year for employment (assuming he stays 4 more years) and guess what that 5 million dollar wage. costs the employees ZIPPO. its made off capital gains. and because it was issued at current price and not subsidized by the company (via lower price) it costs the company....tada 0.00. so to recap, BL can get 5.0 mill, demonstrate he is in in just like everyone else with a 1.00 salary, which breeds leadership. then by taking it in stock demonstrates confidence in his ability and the long term prospects for the company.

LEAD FOLLOW OR GET OUT OF THE WAY.

my idea? no, crazy idea? no, LEE IACCOA use the same strategy in the early 80s with Chrysler, stood in front of the workers and said i have no jobs at 17.00 an hour i have 100,000 at 10.00 an hour but i promise that from now on a portion of gross profits goes back to the employees to make up for their sacrifices, i would not ask of you anything i would not do myself, therefore while i will accept xxxxxx options i will work for the chyrsler corporation as its chief executive officer for the salary of 1.00 per year. Now who is with me.

with that speech, he turned a company from the doorstep of chap 7 completely around, motiviated the workers, who inturn worked in such a way that the company went into the black, and paid back the government loan 7 years ahead of schedule with a check so large the governement had to write a special law to cash it. This was then held up as a way the governement worked to help a US company get back on its feet. In that way the US government did not have to accept 100,000 more unemployement applications and instead had not only the tax revenues from those 100,000 wages but the company itself in corporate taxes as well.

that in a nutshell is what mr. lakefield or whomever comes to FINALLY RUN USAIRWAYS must do

MrAeroMan said:
The junior people use to be able to smooth things over for the "dinosaurs" when they were there and now there is no on to do that.
[post="201487"][/post]​
I, as a senior employee, take issue on this comment. I and many others who are senior continue to give good customer service. Disgusted with how thing are... you bet. Everyone except usa320pilot that is. Who do you think showed the "new hires" when they came on how to work with customers? Management? "Putting people first" program? The senior people did...whether that was 35 years ago, 25 years ago, or 20 years ago. Oh, and by the way, there are no "junior" employees with U anymore. They have been gone for some time. So if you are still an active employee... you too are a "dinosaur".

4merresrat said:
I agree completely, the tone was rude and offensive. Im surprised he even responded to such a crass letter. Im sure he didn't raise his opinion of the "rank and file" with this little gem. I hope this isn't the posters normal MO with dealings in the business world. I don't care how angry the author was or how badly he percieved Mr. Lakefiield's management, frankly I'm embarrased FOR the poster!!!! :down:
[post="201412"][/post]​

Well sometimes, when your back is against the wall, as ours is, you just have to tell em the best you know how...no matter if it ticks one off or not...

These guys just don't get it, and they have to be told that.

They are not listening to anyone but THERE wallets!

There is no excuse for disrespect, period. If you do not like US Airways, why remain employed by the company?

Why be miserable, amigo?

Doc, if I was Lakefield I would terminate you for your disrespect.

With no due respect,

USA320Pilot

4merresrat said:
I agree completely, the tone was rude and offensive. Im surprised he even responded to such a crass letter. Im sure he didn't raise his opinion of the "rank and file" with this little gem. I hope this isn't the posters normal MO with dealings in the business world. I don't care how angry the author was or how badly he percieved Mr. Lakefiield's management, frankly I'm embarrased FOR the poster!!!! :down:
[post="201412"][/post]​
I THINK YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.WE NEED TO QUIT PUSSY FOOTING AROUND,FORGET THAT POLITCAL CORRECT BS AND CALL IT AS IT IS..JUST MY OPINION.IF LAKEFIELD IS A MAN THEN TAKE IT LIKE A MAN.

USA320Pilot said:
There is no excuse for disrespect, period. If you do not like US Airways, why remain employed by the company?

Why be miserable, amigo?

Doc, if I was Lakefield I would terminate you for your disrespect.

With no due respect,

USA320Pilot
[post="201548"][/post]​

:rolleyes: Okay, Bruce should fire the people that are taking the time to let management know what's wrong with this company. Before long, the company will just be full of spineless people. I think you'd be most comfortable with the latter prospect.

EyeInTheSky said:
:rolleyes: Okay, Bruce should fire the people that are taking the time to let management know what's wrong with this company. Before long, the company will just be full of spineless people. I think you'd be most comfortable with the latter prospect.
[post="201584"][/post]​

I think by now Bruce knows what the problems have been. :)

A320 Driver said:
What exactly is Mr lakefield supposed to do? His salary is VERY competitive compared to that of other airline execs and I believe much of our problems existed before he took over. Where is the anger for the employees of our competition that either work cheaper than we do or are more productive? Isn't that what gives them an advantage over us enabling them to charge lower fares and putting this downwward pressure on our pay and benefits? Does Mr Lakefield want us to take these huge cuts just to increase our profit margin? HELL NO. There is NO profit. We're losing our a$$. Bring fuel costs down and we'll STILL lose our a$$.

This company cost too much to operate. We reduce the costs or go away. Why are you people taking this personally. This is no grand conspiracy. This is capitalism. This is supply and demand. It is survival of the fitest. It's the price of doing business in a hostile environment.
Are you all worth more money and benefits? Most of you are, but your neighbor took a job working for a LCC working harder for less money.

Get ticked off at him! I did and now I feel better!!!

A320 Driver
[post="201503"][/post]​
What exactly is Mr. Lakefield supposed to do ??? How about taking a 21% paycut [along with all of upper management ] for 4 months until this mess is straightened out !!......I remember during Bankrupcy 1, When certain "Key" employees received $6 million dollars in bonuses while other employees took very steep concessions. I understand the vast majority of those people are gone anyway....This "DO AS I SAY,, NOT AS I DO " garbage is one of many reasons this company is in this sorry state...

At the end of the day, I think Doc received an accurate and poignant response from Lakefield (or his assistant). There's nothing in the response that is inaccurate or sugarcoats reality - US' problems existed long before he took the helm, and quite frankly, he can't do much more than stabilize the company into a "serious but stable" condition anyways. Furthermore, when a company is in distress, it becomes difficult to maintain and attract good managers (and yes, US DOES have some good managers despite the over-abundant bad apples) - the company either has to offer generous compensation to attract good talent or else make do with whatever talent it can scrounge up with pocket change.

Latest posts