New Aa Union

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
From the CWA website:
http://www.apsa6001.org/news/index.asp?id=7

American creates a "union" for its Mexico City agents
4/13/2004

American Airlines, which has vigorously fought against numerous efforts by its U.S.-based passenger service agents to form a union, apparently did not stand in the way of a union being established for its growing number of agents in Mexico City, with 300 now employed.

What sort of labor contract did the agents negotiate with American Airlines' management? None, very likely. Many agents may not even know they have a union.

If the Mexico City agents' union is true to the style of "protectionist" unions that are prevalent throughout Mexico (the union's name is unknown), the agents had absolutely no say in its formation, nor in their working conditions, union dues, or even who runs "their" union.

American Airlines tried to claim that calls in the U.S. were not being rerouted to agents in Mexico City or other countries, but the company later admitted, reported the Associated Press, "that it unintentionally misspoke at the time."

What is the point of the union? Protectionist unions in Mexico offer protection for employers against workers who might be thinking about organizing a real union. Because of weak and paternalistic labor laws, many of Mexico's labor unions are corrupt, undemocratic organizations.

Protectionist unions exist for the company and the group or individual who runs the union. There is no real contract for workers. Any agreement is no more than an understanding between the company and the union, but protectionist unions are frequently headed by an attorney or a single individual. The company gets a "union" workforce which prevents workers from trying to organize a democratic union. The "union" collects dues from the workers and, often, a nice remuneration from its "client."

Protectionist-type unions are so widespread in Mexico that an estimated 85 percent of labor contracts there are never renegotiated. This is because the contracts were never negotiated by the workers in the first place.

American strongly denied that the opening of the call center in Mexico City came at the expense of agents' jobs in the U.S. According to the Associated Press, "AMR spokesman Carlo Bertolini. . . said the newly-hired bilingual Mexican workers are not replacing jobs. Instead, employees who worked for AMR's now defunct U.S.-based 'Spanish desk" have merely seen their job responsibilities change."

However, for most of the Spanish-speaking agents in the U.S., this "job responsibility change" has meant unemployment. American closed down its Spanish desks in Norfolk and at the SRO in Ft. Worth, and recently closed down its office in Puerto Rico. Including the reservation offices in Las Vegas and St. Louis that it also closed down, the jobs of more than 1,500 agents were impacted. It is unlikely that many of these agents found new job opportunities after their office was closed.

American Airlines tried to claim that calls in the U.S. were not being rerouted to agents in Mexico City or other countries, but the company later admitted, reported the Associated Press, "that it unintentionally misspoke at the time."

Earlier, a number of the Mexico City agents confirmed to CWA that they were handling overflow English-language calls from the United States.

American is now building up a call center in Santa Domingo in the even lower-wage Dominican Republic. Agents there can make $175 a month. In Mexico, monthly pay can reach $800.

What is the point of the union? Protectionist unions in Mexico offer protection for employers against workers who might be thinking about organizing a real union.

I think we have one of those here in the states, (twu)

You all have it wrong, I think you need to reread the article. You will note that it is normally ran by one person? Sound Familiar? (AMFA).

Checking it Out said:
You all have it wrong, I think you need to reread the article. You will note that it is normally ran by one person? Sound Familiar? (AMFA).
Oh really?

I bet that I recieve a associate member ballot in the mail within the next 90-120 days, that has Delle-Femine running against Steve MacFarlane from Local 33 for National Director of AMFA.

Want proof Steve is running against Delle? You and your other liars are exposed once again!

This guy is running against Delle-Femine

Checking it Out, when will you or anyone else for that matter be getting a membership ballot with Sonny Hall being opposed by someone from the TWU?

I hope you continue to spread your unfounded lies, just as you enabled us to gain enough cards to file, so too will provide enough votes to win the election!

Decision 2004 said:
Oh really?

I bet that I recieve a associate member ballot in the mail within the next 90-120 days, that has Delle-Femine running against Steve MacFarlane from Local 33 for National Director of AMFA.

Want proof Steve is running against Delle? You and your other liars are exposed once again!

Checking it Out, when will you or anyone else for that matter be getting a membership ballot with Sonny Hall being opposed by someone from the TWU?

I hope you continue to spread your unfounded lies, just as you enabled us to gain enough cards to file, so too will provide enough votes to win the election!
Admin., I looked for articles and hyper links or even pieces of scratch paper with any information about people who are running against sonny hall & jim little in the next twu international positions. I can not find any. Do you think cio, johnny lunchbox, captain kirk, amt-mci, mojo, kirk wells, teamtwu, boby gless, or gary yingst could post something with this needed information?

The twu is democratic. Right?

Let us pray...

Let us continue praying for CIO...that he put down the TWU Kool Ade jug long enough to recall the September '03 info meeting in Tulsa...Where Delle stated that he had been challenged once back in the the 1970's....We must note that much unlike the CEO type compensation and benefits of CIO's masters, Sonny Hall, Jim Little, John Orlando and the rest of the ignoble industrial union leadership, Delle did NOT receive any remuneration (that means pay, CIO) for being the director of AMFA from it's inception until after the NWA election...then he asked the rhetorical question of "who would want an unpaid position anyway?."...Certainly not the TWU elite!
For these things we again pray...
B)

Decision 2004 said:
Oh really?

I got mine in the mail. Shawn Love is running against Delle.

I met Shawn. He is a mechanic from NWA JFK and a staunch union man. Looks like we have two fine candidates running.

Either way the members win because WE get to choose.

Tell us CIO, do TWU members ever get to vote on top officers, or are they "not worthy" in the eyes of the International?

Latest posts