New Hire Flight Attendant Questions...

----------------
On 5/5/2003 3:46:47 PM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

Are you this indecisive in real life or are you joking?

Take the job and make it work for you.

You seem fond of mentioning that you "were invited" and "were offered" -- dayum you must be an off-the-charts f/a!

(I could go on but think it best to stop commenting now...)

RIGHT ON...Let me buy you a beer my man for so eloquently speaking what we are all thinking.

----------------
On 5/5/2003 3:46:47 PM whatkindoffreshhell wrote:

Are you this indecisive in real life or are you joking?

Take the job and make it work for you.

You seem fond of mentioning that you "were invited" and "were offered" -- dayum you must be an off-the-charts f/a!

(I could go on but think it best to stop commenting now...)

----------------​

BlueCrew, thanks for the answers to my questions. Hope to see ya on-line. As for Whatkindoffreshhell: I''m scared of you! (jk) From all i have heard about JetBlue, sounds like a great place to work. thx...again!

I am considering jetBlue as well. I know they have a great reputation, are very "hip," and have awesome opportunities for growth. I am hoping to be called soon for an interview and, if successful, will enthusiastically begin my career anew. But I am able do that without caring where I am based. Granted, in this economy and job market, one runs the risk of being left out in the cold if one doesn't jump at the few real opportunities still available. While walking away from seniority is a risk I am ready to take, I don't make that decision lightly.

I appreciate everyone's valuable information...and a person probably shouldn't apply with a New York based airline if they aren't willing to be based there...it just seems like y'all are being a little hard on the guy. Take it easy and fly safe!

P.S. I heard through the grapevine that since the opening of the FLL base, you are no longer required to provide your own lodging during the New York portion of the training. Anybody know if that is true? Thanks.

That is partially true.... during the MIA portion of training your base is determined.... and if you are FLL based THEN the company will provide you with a place to stay in JFK. If you are JFK based, then as soon as you fly from FLL-JFK you are officially in your domicile... so its up to you! :)

Well, well...judging from some of the responses I have received in reference to my post further proves to me that I probably made the right decision...because after all...I (just like all of you) have to make the decision that best accomodates me and my lifestyle.

Funny that jetblue claims to be a "different" kind of airline...but still will lie to you from the very beginning. I was told by the recruiters at my interview just 2 weeks before training was to begin that ALL NEW HIRES WOULD BE JFK BASED! GUARANTEED! When I asked about how long the waiting list would be for a FLL transfer; the recruiters responded with "There is a long line of flight attendants ahead of you waiting on FLL and when it does open there are only usually 8 open spots at a time. You''re looking at about 18-24 months."

I don''t think it is unreasonable of me to feel misguided by the information that I was presented with at my interview. FURTHERMORE, I was also told that I would have to find a PERMANENT RESIDENCE in the vicinity of JFK while still in training! No help was offered in finding accomodations, and I did make a point of asking if assistance would be available in locating a place to live. Again, the response was, "It''s up to you to find accomodations."

I have been throught this before, I am certainly not a novice to it. I know how airlines work. I''ve attended SEVERAL airline interviews in the past. I have already been down that road...made a decision in my life to attend training, leave behind a city I loved to relocate in another, incur further substantial debt...only to get furloughed just months later due to 9/11. PARDON ME IF I''M A BIT CAUTIOUS AND SKEPTICAL OF THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY!!!

Ironic that airlines expect you to invest your time, resources, energy and essentially YOUR LIFE in them but provide so little in return. They are so quick to turn on you someday...and leave you with nothing...forcing you to start over at a time in your life when you shouldn''t have to.

Like I said before, I''ve been through this before, I''m not some starry-eyed fool that has delusions of grandeur about some flight attendant position that when you get right down to it...no matter WHAT airline you work for...they all operate pretty much the same. FOR THAT REASON, IF I AM TO BE EMPLOYED BY AN AIRLINE AGAIN I WILL DO ALL THAT I CAN TO MAKE SURE THAT THE POSITION WORKS FOR ME!!! There is certainly nothing wrong with that, if anything it shows a more well-thought out approach than many of the others I have encountered at airlines past and present.

What is more, I have EVERY right (just like any of you) to apply with and interview at WHATEVER airline I choose. The fact that jetBlue is primarily New York based means NOTHING, because I went into the interview hoping that I might hear some good news about the need for flight attendants in FLL where there is ALSO a crew base.

One last thing...it seems to really bother you that I "was offered" or "was invited" to training and then turned it down. I never said, I was an "off the charts f/a", I was just stating a fact because I was indeed, "invited and offered". My apologies if what is right for you isn''t necessarily the right decision for me. That''s OK though...I''m due for another raise in a month, and likely another promotion before the year''s end at my current job where I am now making the same as a 4 or 5 year flight attendant and in much less time...with 2 paid weeks of vacation, a week of sick time, 10 paid holidays a year, full medical and dental benefits, tuition reimbursement for continuing education, every weekend off and additional incentives throughout the year. Yeah...I think I''ll stay put.

There is quite a bit to be said for job security...that''s something you''ll NEVER have working for an airline. Sure jetBlue looks good now, but beware...the airline business is volatile and I am not willing to put my future in the hands of such an unstable industry again.

From reading your response, if you are that skeptical and cynical about the industry as a whole, then maybe "applying to several airlines" isnt the right choice, obviously the industry isnt for you if your view of it is as jaded as you make it seem. As for jetBlue, they are a fantastic company to work for but that doesnt mean that it isnt everchanging like the industry in general. Things change a lot, day to day even and I think that regardless of your experiences in the past the fact that you even got to a jetBlue interview is significant. JetBlue is a new company, a different company, and a special company one which is still growing however like I said its a great place to work and commuting on jetBlue as a jetBlue employee is easier then people make it out to be (like if you moved to FLL and were JFK based).

When youre off reserve in 3 months max, 3 years is considered super senior, and everyone treats each other like brothers and sisters, that right there alone should be 90% of ones decision to join jetBlue. Id never want to work for a company that doesnt make me feel as happy to be a part of it as jetBlue does.

Thats my story and Im stickin to it!

Gee Wally.........this is such a super place to start our club. Listen folks......it won''t stay like this! Geez, does anyone work at this company over 30? Watch! Your super, fun, kewl, hip (I do believe I saw that word) company won''t last. What will happen when your flight attendants start getting old? (yikes, yes, it does happen).........think they''ll want to work 150 hours a month? Think ole friendly JBLU will make that an option or a demand?

Do you enjoy working w/out a contract? Are you aware that your work rules and pay could change at any moment w/out your consent?

Just Curious,
Chris SWA PHX

fly -- Just for the record, we have flight attendants of all ages. Some have over 30 years with other carriers. I would never call them old, but they are experienced. Do you think they don't know what they are getting into? We have hired lots of experience from other airlines--people who were looking for a change and are thrilled to be working at jetBlue. I know you all find it difficult to believe, but this is a fabulous place to work and those who get the opportunity to do so are thrilled.

tbags -- When you trust your management and your management trusts and respects you, the lack of a contract isn't a problem. If you look at the track record of our management, any time an employee group has a concern, they do everything in their power to CORRECT the problem. They want to keep us happy so we'll keep doing a great job for the company. FAs recently got a raise and a tiered payscale... because they asked for it! It may all change one day, but for now it's the best thing going.

Hey guys..I think its great that things are the way they are with JetBlue.
I''ve alway said and will continue to say....Being a flight attendant
is the best job youll ever have. I myself was furloughed as of June 4th
from usairways and hope to one day be back in the skys. This job
spoils you!! The thought of maybe having to go back to a 9 to 5
is killing me! I applied with you guys about a month and a half
ago. Not sure what will come of it. I just know this is an AWESOME
job and NO ONE should make it hard!! Its not hard at all!! So many at US needs to retire because they are rude and just plain out hate what they are doing and it shouldn''t be that way. Someone posted that they don''t look at age...they look at the person. Age has nothing to do with it and you are so right.....its their attitude that is so important.

It was nothing for me at US to get on board with a crew member whose hire date
would be 1966 and even though i wasn''t even close to being thought about in 66 ..haha well it didn''t matter...especially if they were a blast!! I loved it when someone said not to be surprised to see a crew memeber with you guys to pick up a bag for a pax and put it in the over head. Trust ME...NO ONE does that at US...and if they do..its few and far between. Of course you know if its to heavy or not and if so then you dont'' do it. Thats commen sence!!

You guys keep up the great attitude and i sincerely hope jetblue continues to be a great success!! I hate that your new order for the 100 seater isn''t gonna take place till 05...that means you guys want be hiring right away lol
Are you still hiring? Good luck to all and fly safe!!

----------------
On 6/2/2003 6:30:59 AM dgs wrote:

tbags -- When you trust your management and your management trusts and respects you, the lack of a contract isn''t a problem. If you look at the track record of our management, any time an employee group has a concern, they do everything in their power to CORRECT the problem. They want to keep us happy so we''ll keep doing a great job for the company. FAs recently got a raise and a tiered payscale... because they asked for it! It may all change one day, but for now it''s the best thing going.

----------------​

Dgs,

Did you actually read what you wrote?? "When you trust your management". HELLO. If you seriously think that our management wouldn''t screw with our work rules (which dont exist) or payscale, to better the bottom line... think again. Sure they are treating us wonderful now... because things are going good. Do you think the same would apply if things weren''t so good? I think we all know the answer that, no. Management (in general, not airline specific) is evil. They dont give a RATS ASS about the front line workers, or their families affected by their decisions. The only - ONLY - sense of security is having contractual protection. That is the only way that management cannot f*ck with you.

Regarding management, trust, and bad times - how much worse could it be after 9/11? Not a single furlough at jetBlue - not one! People hired for IAD were given other duties when the launch of IAD service was postponed. Those in training were kept on training pay. Anywhere else and they would have been cut without hesitation. On 9/12 it looked like the airline industry was facing devastation; including JetBlue. But, management was trusted to do the right thing and they did.
AKAAB

----------------
On 6/16/2003 8:42:35 PM BlueFlyer21 wrote:

Dgs,

Did you actually read what you wrote?? "When you trust your management". HELLO. If you seriously think that our management wouldn't screw with our work rules (which dont exist) or payscale, to better the bottom line... think again. Sure they are treating us wonderful now... because things are going good. Do you think the same would apply if things weren't so good? I think we all know the answer that, no. Management (in general, not airline specific) is evil. They dont give a RATS *** about the front line workers, or their families affected by their decisions. The only - ONLY - sense of security is having contractual protection. That is the only way that management cannot **** with you.

----------------​

BlueFlyer21 -- I absolutely read what I wrote and believe it. I think you couldn't be more wrong about our management. David said the other day that, "He will know he has failed as a CEO if the day ever comes that we unionize." I truly believe he IS concerned about our well being. He believes happy crewmembers are the key to our success--in good times and bad. It's also about being part of the team. If you believe our management is evil, you are welcome to leave.