New Year's Resolutions

I need to stay away from these boards too. I did for a long time but then got bored after final exams were over and after flying 40 hours a month. They are so addictive! lol Good luck to those of you who are quitting smoking. I know that must be a difficult undertaking but you can do it.

I used to be an avid exerciser but really got away from it. My elliptical trainer and treadmill are clothes hangers in my basement. I've been rearranging my work out area and have decided to start my day with 10 minutes on one of the machines and 25 sit ups on my stability ball. Just set the alarm 10 minutes early, stagger past the coffee maker and hit the "on" button, then slide on tennis shoes.
Did it yesterday as a warm up and then again today...my official start date. I used to think if i didn't exercise for a 1/2 hour or more, I shouldn't bother but I saw this woman on TV that only did 5 minutes a day with push ups and sit ups and gained muscle, lost inches off her waist and dropped a pants size....
I think this is a goal I can live with....maybe next month or next year I'll get up to 20 minutes but for now, 10 is what I'm doing......Happy New Year and Good Luck to all in 2009 !!!!

That's a good idea, start with 10 minutes and work your way up. I always thought 30 minutes was the magic number too. I'm sure I can find 10 minutes out of my busy day. I could even sneak in some exercises during flights with all the free time if I wanted to haha. I'm constantly complaining about needing to exercise and lose weight but then I make every excuse not to do it. I could attempt to exercise and see what happens.

Regardless of how Tempe decides to treats our customers, I resolve to make a positive difference in at least one customer's day, each day that I'm at work.

I'm glad to hear that many of you are either working toward or have already obtained your degree. As we all know, and most CEOs will tell you (unless they wear red suspenders), in this business you must always have a PLAN B.

Since there aren't many Retiree issues on this board and I can't really comment on your current employee issues, I guess I'll say goodbye and focus my attention elsewhere. Good bye and good luck to all of you in the coming year. :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

For those of you who would like to save money this year here is a nice article my friend emailed me. Please note I am posting this since a few of you mentioned that you would like to save money this year and learn to be more frugal. For those of U cheapskateS, please recognize that being frugal is cool and pays off in the long run and is a smart strategy while being cheap only makes you look like a miser and that is so uncool and unbecoming. Maybe US could learn a little from this article.

The Difference in Being Frugal, and Being Cheap

What is the first word that comes to mind when I say the word frugal.
Cheap? If so, you are not alone. Most people tend to incorrectly
associate being frugal with being cheap, when in fact they are two
entirely different ways of looking at financial life. Dictionary.com
defines frugal as "prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful." The
same online dictionary service defines cheap as "stingy; miserly."
But the differences don't stop with the words' definitions. Frugal
people spend, give and consume a little differently than
their"cheaper" counterparts.

Followers of frugality generally believe in being lightweight
consumers of resources, whatever those resources may be. For
instance, many frugal people prefer to make meals from scratch rather
than paying several times for the cost of equivalent foods at a
restaurant. Cheap people also frequently look for deals, but still
could be heavy consumers of resources. Many cheap people will buy
things on sale just because they are on sale, not because they really
need them. Frugal individuals hunt for sales, too, but buy only
enough to live on for the immediate future.

Need more evidence? I'll use myself as an example. I appreciate value
in a product, even if it costs more than a cheaper alternative. My
time is important to me, so I'll pay a little more for convenience
items in a pinch, or shop at a nearby store to reduce the commute
time to drive to another area just to save a couple dollars. I
recognize good service, and am willing to tip extra to show my
appreciation when I receive it. In fact, I typically leave minimum
20% tips when we dine out and receive exceptional service. After all,
we don't eat out that often, and the two or three dollar difference
in 10% and 20% doesn't change my world much, but it may mean the
world to our server. I enjoy giving to help family members, friends
and strangers. In fact, one of my life goals is to become so wealthy
that I can play Secret Santa and give a lot of it away.

The typical cheap person generally displays the polar opposite
qualities. When it comes to shopping, many cheapskates will drive all
over town to save a few cents on a gallon gasoline, or a loaf of
bread. These types will pass up sales on quality products because the
final price is still higher than the cheaper alternative. Many would
never consider tipping anything above the 10% rule, even if it meant
counting out the $3.90 on a $39 bill - come folks, round up and live
a little!

The one thing I have found that frugal folks have in common with
cheap folks is there willingness to give, however they typically do
it in different ways. Frugal individuals enjoy making monetary
donations for causes they believe in, while their cheaper
counterparts prefer to donate non-monetary gifts such as their time,
their services, etc. Both types of givers are required for most
charitable programs to be successful, so there is a place for each
type, and I'm certainly not discounting the good deeds others have
done without shelling out cash.

I honestly believe there is a little of each category in all of US
(by "US" I mean those minding their money). I encourage you to think
about ways you may be perceived as "cheap" and move towards
frugality. I should take my own advice here and stop trying to buy
the 1000-count cheapo napkins or trash bags at wholesale clubs that
my wife insists could double for sand paper. I think I'll make her day
and show up with a few packs of Bounty napkins next time I'm out
(I have two coupons!).

For those of you who would like to save money this year here is a nice article my friend emailed me. Please note I am posting this since a few of you mentioned that you would like to save money this year and learn to be more frugal. For those of U cheapskateS, please recognize that being frugal is cool and pays off in the long run and is a smart strategy while being cheap only makes you look like a miser and that is so uncool and unbecoming. Maybe US could learn a little from this article.

Thanks for posting this article, FlightChic. I am absolutely, 100% frugal, and not "cheap" at all. I do joke around that I'm "cheap," but henceforth I will use the word "frugal" when describing my spending philosophy. I don't want "cheap." I want a good value!

Thanks for posting this article, FlightChic. I am absolutely, 100% frugal, and not "cheap" at all. I do joke around that I'm "cheap," but henceforth I will use the word "frugal" when describing my spending philosophy. I don't want "cheap." I want a good value!

I'm trying to be more frugal as well and to me buying something of great quality but at a great price is much better than buying something cheap and it only lasting a few years. Take furniture for example. Near Charlotte is a town called Hickory where they make great furniture and there is a really nice furniture mart/wearhouse with high quality furniture at great prices. I could purchase some very high quality furniture and get a great deal since they aren't selling much and are desperate and it would last me the next thirty years. All I would have to do is re-upholster it for a new look if I wanted to and of course take good care of it. Or I found that it is much cheaper to clip coupons and go to the grocery store and buy flour, milk, spices in bulk (not in the expensive containers they come it - I pay 99 cents versus $6), etc. and make all my food from scratch. Since I am always traveling I created a whole meal plan for the month and figured out how much food I would need for the entire month based on the ingredients, what I had in coupons and what was on sale and I went to the store and spent $99 and had enough food that I was able to make a months worth of meals from scratch and freeze them. I can easily spend $99 on two trips for food if I buy all my food at the hotel and airport or for frozen and prepackaged food at the grocery store that only lasts me a week. Although, when I do buy expensive food at the airport or hotel I make sure to make 2-3 meals out of it. That's the only way I can justify spending $9 for a burger or burrito for example. It is much cheaper and yummier to make my own food from scratch than buying frozen pizzas and hot pockets and expensive burgers and pizzas. I even had lots of ingredients left over so I will spend even less next month. I made my own pizza from scratch that was so good and I can take that with me on my trips. I made burritos and quesadillas and froze them which I can also carry with me on trips. I made the pizza dough and tortillas from scratch. I also made lasagna, soup, (which will also work as gravy for rice or to go on meat), I cut up chicken which was on sale and marinated it and put it in the freezer, and shepherd's pie. I could easily cook the chicken and carry it with me on my next trip to eat with a salad which I make and bring from home or whatever. Next time I am ready to eat all I have to do is defrost, heat, and enjoy. It does take some planning but to me it's worth it.

Well, that's one way I have started to be more frugal. I would love to hear other ideas.

Well, that's one way I have started to be more frugal. I would love to hear other ideas.

I'm about to restart my Ramen Noodles A-Palooza Diet so if you see YV get his 6 pack ahead of schedule...thank the Ramen Noodles :)

I'm with you FlightChic and I'm ashamed to say I try to take as many fiesta snack mixes home and eat the salty stale crap when I'm hungry in order to meet my New Years Resolutions, it's been 12 days into the Month and I've only been to Vegas & Tampa and then New York this week...I feel good to be not addicted to all that luscious international trips! 353 Days to go in the 2009!

I'm about to restart my Ramen Noodles A-Palooza Diet so if you see YV get his 6 pack ahead of schedule...thank the Ramen Noodles :)

I ate so many Ramen noodles in my college days that if I eat any more I will puke! But man, they are cheap!!! It's fun picking which flavor to eat too.

This thread is making me hungry too. I love Chinese buffets! I always make sure I get my money's worth when I go.

I ate so many Ramen noodles in my college days that if I eat any more I will puke! But man, they are cheap!!! It's fun picking which flavor to eat too.

This thread is making me hungry too. I love Chinese buffets! I always make sure I get my money's worth when I go.

A..V..O..I..D... THE CHINESE BUFFETS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!! AGHHHHHH!!!!!
Unless it's a Vegas style Buffet :)

Latest posts