Next Big Thing in Oct- Merged Topics

One thing Doug is right about is that there is just too much capacity, too many network airlines. Too much competetion. There needs to be fewer airlines and less competeion- its simple economics- the product is being sold well below market rate because there is too much of the product available. Consolidation will make the industry healthier, which benefits airline employees.

sky high states: Unfortunately, the consumer expects CHEAP fares. And, we've given them long enough that if the consumer feels that fares are too high, they dont fly or they drive.

only stating opinions

Well if AA buys some thing like aircraft which I cannot imagine you will get stapled to the bottom of their seniority list which already contains 1600 furloughees that would be ahead of you. Find a friendly buyer.

ALPA would sell us out, just like the TWA pilots.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd prefer consolidation hurry up and happen. It's coming anyway, I'd rather have it sooner.

US Airways will likely be a part of it, but it could be royally screwed if the other majors pair up without it. As much as I despise the hot mess the current US is if it means making money to ensure we are a top in the merger games, then all right...

One thing Doug is right about is that there is just too much capacity, too many network airlines. Too much competetion. There needs to be fewer airlines and less competeion- its simple economics- the product is being sold well below market rate because there is too much of the product available. Consolidation will make the industry healthier, which benefits airline employees.

Fewer and larger workforces, once integrated, have much more leverage and bargaining power. A healthier industry and more competitive job market will result in better labor contracts, compensation, and work rules.

It's happening anyway- bring it on.

Keeping this in mind....who single handedly has changed the fares in the industry (southwest) so, what if (since the creator of southwest is RETIRING) SHE decided she'd go out with a bang and get something big going with Doug? Just my guess. It would take out our fare setter, put big bucks in Dougs pocket and consolidate making Southwest (CTL included) Int'l and huge. Side bar....f/a's get a raise, wear shorts and tennis shoes. My kinda rumor!!

Maybe US will announce a merger with FedEx or UPS..... God knows they treat their passengers like cargo already. Flight attendants will STILL be able to wear shorts even if they are brown or purple. :lol: The ladies ought to look awesome loading passengers on pallets in that new blue dress. :lol:

I have my own thoughts on this one... G Tilton (CEO of UAL) is hell bent on Consolidation and has stated UAL will take place in it.. Parker is as well hell bent on consolidation. It would not surprise me if they are talking.. I could see a NWA DAL deal happening and CAL and AMR standalone... just on one scenario... The other is this, If DAL and NWA hook up and UAL and CAL hook up, that is bad news for USAIRWAYS, so It would not surprise me if they are trying to start the ball rolling by selling off assets and making their cash and leaving... UAL could be pieced off as well, but if UAL and the others DAL NWA AMR CAL US dont do something, when contracts come up and emplyees want more money and there is still too much competition - everyone will be back in BK again. Consolidation is the answer - hopefully it isn't toooooo bloody.

Sky High- There will continue to be a need for air travel. When consolidation creates less competition, it's bad for the consumer but better for the industry. The industry can not continue in it's present form. The American commercial aviation system has been gutted for cost labor-wise, operation-wise... and it's still on the brink. Bare bones costs and operations can not continue to hold up the system. Fares and cost need to come in line better, and will not until capacity is reduced. True low cost carrier business plans do not work on a network carrier- international service and regional service are expensive to execute and can't support a true low fare structure. Low cost carrier business plans work for low-hanging fruit, they will find themselves boxed in at some point and then probably have a consolidation cycle of thier own. The country needs three, four at most traditional network carriers. Consumers will have LCC competition in certain markets, but will have to pay more reasonable fares if they want to go from AUG to ATH or PIA to PVG, as there will simply be less ways to do so.

As for Southwest, they are not interested in being a network carrier, and that's what US Airways is. Everything about US is opposite of WN- multiple fleet types, over half of the flights are operated by affiliates on uneconomical small aircraft, a strictly hub and spoke system, primary airports, international service... WN would gain nothing. They do not have a want or need for any US aircraft, some gates and slots could be of interest but not enough to flat out buy the airline. A major part of WN's business plan is organic, continuous growth from within, they will bring on new 737s and new employees until the cows come home.

I have my own thoughts on this one... G Tilton (CEO of UAL) is hell bent on Consolidation and has stated UAL will take place in it.. Parker is as well hell bent on consolidation. It would not surprise me if they are talking.. I could see a NWA DAL deal happening and CAL and AMR standalone... just on one scenario... The other is this, If DAL and NWA hook up and UAL and CAL hook up, that is bad news for USAIRWAYS, so It would not surprise me if they are trying to start the ball rolling by selling off assets and making their cash and leaving... UAL could be pieced off as well, but if UAL and the others DAL NWA AMR CAL US dont do something, when contracts come up and emplyees want more money and there is still too much competition - everyone will be back in BK again. Consolidation is the answer - hopefully it isn't toooooo bloody.

Ain't nobody no how going to step into this mess. Try as he may, Doug is going to have to sell the unsellable-the merging of the pilots list. Try and imagine sitting on the Board of Trusties of any potential partner for us. You evaluate the potential. And you see the huge division here. Now try and add your group of pilots to the mix. What you have left in your hand is a pile of smelly s^%t. There is no way for you to achieve a joint contract of single operations-at least that you can realistically afford.

Nope, labor relations has too far a way to go for anyone to want this lot. It just ain't worth it.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd prefer consolidation hurry up and happen. It's coming anyway, I'd rather have it sooner.

US Airways will likely be a part of it, but it could be royally screwed if the other majors pair up without it. As much as I despise the hot mess the current US is if it means making money to ensure we are a top in the merger games, then all right...

Fewer and larger workforces, once integrated, have much more leverage and bargaining power. A healthier industry and more competitive job market will result in better labor contracts, compensation, and work rules.

It's happening anyway- bring it on.

Somebody gets it.

head-in-sand.jpg

Lots of sand in Tempe for Doug to bury his head in.

All the Dougoids should know, Lakefield orchestrated this merger, got his money, and left Gilligan in charge. Let's face it, Dougie should pumping gas at the Quicky Mart, not running a major airline.

A bigger airline, please.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hey Leprechaun.

Where did you get this picture of REPUBLICAN Senator...Larry Craig ???

I have no insight into the next proposed corporate transaction, but I believe two things. If a corporate transaction proceeds US Airways will be a survivor because Doug Parker wants to run a huge airline and the current US Airways is very profitable, in fact, more profitable on a relative basis to many of its peers who are larger carrier's.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Beauty"
(This may be a first),

But I agree with you, you almost "nailed it" 100%.

IMHO, the snowball effect will come about because of Richard Andersons coming back to the Industry and LEAPFROGGING 2 DL in house heavy hitters, to become CEO.

That I feel will be an NW/DL deal.(even if DL is the survivor, after an all employee vote, the Pilots/FA's/Ramp and AMT's will wind up unionized)(not thoughly sold on the agents/rez though)

Next comes UA/CO, and I fear that the rumor about a UAL break up is near.(NO..........That does not make me happy)(If DL is the survivor, CO is off the NW "hook")

What does all this have to do with AA and US ??

Well for AA, it's SIMPLE.

AA is always available to "help out" where ever needed :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

US, because they have ZERO to offer the Big Boys, gets AA left overs in the UAL fire sale(Fire sale meaning whatever it takes to appease the FEDS)

If I were DP(and IF it goes down this way) , I'd be looking at Alaska Air. That would give US/HP a SEA HUB(not a bad place to make a case to the FEDS for China methinks)

AA would get a IAD/LHR......BOS/LGA/DCA shuttle, and quite possibly a lone China route from UA.

AND, if the moon and stars were alligned properly, and CO balked at it, AA "could" wind up with LAX/SYD/AUK or Even a ORD/SYD/AUK

Doug going to screw Delta by merging with Airtran and JetBlue. This rumor is BS because Cramden hasn't release the latest to the "nation".

Back